When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How bright is the lume on your vintage SD/Sub?

Newdoc

I have been researching vintage Seadwellers this afternoon with so many for sale, and I have a question I couldn't find an answer to. How good is the function of the lume once it has been 'vintage-ized'? Seems like it would be cool to have a bright lume at night with the vintage look during the daytime. Just wondering everyones thoughts?

Ah, that is a good question.

I think it's all about taste.

Some guys here have a vintage dial, modified, with lume at night, some don't.

To me, sorry to say, it is a total non sense to have lume at night on a 30, 40, 50 years old watch.

The lume material used in those days should not last that long.

If you take a 16800 from 1980 in example with a mate tritium dial it has no lume at all anymore today.

So my humble opinion is: vintage => no lume

Cheers

Stephane

I agree with no lume at all if you are looking for 100% accuracy to the genuine (non replaced) dial. However, it's really about taste, to me, I like my watch to be quite practical, to be able to see it in the dark is a good one to go. So here it is:

DSCN0033.jpg

daytime colour:

P6203521.jpg

It's even brighter than the gen replacement dial (with C1 lume) :p. Anyway, if you get an L Swiss L replacement dial, it should have white colour. Rolex didn't use other lume powder colour. I may even suspect that they mix the C1 lume with small amount of tritium.

vintage = no lume

taka's COMEX lume is completely incorrect and he should give it to me for free lol

:wub:

I have a gen white letter dial on my franken 1680 and it has no glow at all anymore... the tritium is dead.

I have a gen 16800 since new (1986) with a tritium dial. The lume still works but is now very dim. The last time I had it serviced which was earlier this year I asked about having it relumed with tritium and was told it was possible but would take about a month to get back. Told him I would think about it.

I believe the half life of tritium is about 12.5 years so you can do the math.