When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got Screwed

StormTooper4

I appreciate that this has been done already and there are quite a few around but I thought I'd share my efforts.

Ingredients

5218-201a from DSN

Crown Guard from V

Crown from T

New stem given by btwhitesox, big big thanks dude, cut and fitted by moi Yikes.

Pre V screws from the bay and from these good shores as well, which is nice.

1.6mm holes drilled to perfection by local jeweller

Vintage Leather by Simona

Happy as Larry

pa143323cd4.jpg

pa143325sx1.jpg

pa143326du6.jpg

pa143336st0.jpg

pa143341vq2.jpg

Thanks for looking

ST4

Dudes thank you so much for you kind words I really do appreciate it.

I have to say inspiration really does come from you guys, especially Rolli and his watches. But I have to give thanks V and T for them making the parts we need.

Given that I have only been in this game for just over a year now, If you had said to me I'd be tinkering like this back then I would of laughed and really didn't think I would ever enjoy putting parts together like this.

RMC This is the old case, standard i guess

I'm blessed to have found a local guy who will do THE metal work for me, he's drilled this out to perfection as he did with my 003 project which needed to be drilled for a new Tube. The drilling cost $30 maybe a bit expensive but there is no way I could of done that. The screws got here in a few days as they are made here in Aus.

Though I have to say these screws are a PITA to fit, I wish I had got a few pairs as I'm sure I will loose them. What we need is River to get some Spring loaded versions now there is a thought.

As for the dial, I think I will stick with this one, the lume is great its great when the sunlight charges it up and it glows in the daylight

happy days

ST4

but when this case is an old standard case, then the right-side lug holes have 1,8 mm diameter.

all handwind pam cases which i have, have a long spindle screw of 1,8mm diameter.

that means, when i want to use the prev double-screw-strap-attachment-system,

then the screw-heads must be 1,75 - 1,78mm diameter.

and when you use the screw-head with 1,6mm, then they don't fit perfectly. they have too much clearance.

rolli

RMC This is the old case, standard i guess

happy days

ST4

here is what I have found on the AC on 'risti - the guy is selling there the preV screws...don't know if it is from the same source as where you guys buy them :

hxxp://www.network54.com/Forum/353393/thread/1224053836/last-1224053836/FS+PRE-V+WATCH+5218-201A%2C+202A+SERIES+TUBES+%26amp%3B+SCREWS

replace the xx with tt and it should work for you..

Great piece....the master of Pam's spoke....well observed Rollie

but when this case is an old standard case, then the right-side lug holes have 1,8 mm diameter.

all handwind pam cases which i have, have a long spindle screw of 1,8mm diameter.

that means, when i want to use the prev double-screw-strap-attachment-system,

then the screw-heads must be 1,75 - 1,78mm diameter.

and when you use the screw-head with 1,6mm, then they don't fit perfectly. they have too much clearance.

rolli

Great piece....the master of Pam's spoke....well observed Rollie

It's a good observation - but as has been said before, it'd be pointless making Pre-V screws with 1.8mm screws, as they wouldn't be true to the original and wouldn't fit the real 5218's. As the 44mm cases that are widely available to the community are completely wrong anyway, the next step should be to look to reproduce a 1:1 case that accepts these 1:1 screws. A lot of effort and investment has gone in to making the Pre-V screws, so I wouldn't like to see them dismissed based on the fact they aren't a perfect fit for an inaccurate case.

It's a good observation - but as has been said before, it'd be pointless making Pre-V screws with 1.8mm screws, as they wouldn't be true to the original and wouldn't fit the real 5218's. As the 44mm cases that are widely available to the community are completely wrong anyway, the next step should be to look to reproduce a 1:1 case that accepts these 1:1 screws. A lot of effort and investment has gone in to making the Pre-V screws, so I wouldn't like to see them dismissed based on the fact they aren't a perfect fit for an inaccurate case.

Ok then DSN case must be 1.6mm, in the other pre V post I showed this.

pa073311uv6.jpg

The Middle case though better on the lug shape had the bigger holes, where as the DSN is on the bottom has the smaller holes which is the one I ended up getting Drilled on the other side.

I tried the screws in the middle case and they were too big, they would of been ok I think but this was the better option.

Cheers

ST4