When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to change a datewheel on a DG4813

triplehd

Just got 2 brand new DG4813 movements - but they came with white datwheels (w/black numerals). I need to swap out the datewheel with a black datewheel. Problem is - I have no clue how to remove the datewheel.

Any clues?

Well speaking from experience, get a watchsmith to do it. Mine charged about $5 to do the job. I removed the old datewheel from the dead movements. Easy enough to get the top plate off by emoving the 3 small screws, but a host of tiny parts popped out as I removed it. I couldn't figure out how to put it back together, so it was off to the watchsmith to deal with the working movements.

Just got 2 brand new DG4813 movements - but they came with white datwheels (w/black numerals). I need to swap out the datewheel with a black datewheel. Problem is - I have no clue how to remove the datewheel.

Any clues?

I don't have pics handy...and there was the uber guide with pics on how to do this where the pics have unfortunately disappeared.

To make a long story short...there are 3 small screws on the dial side that hold the datewheel in place. The datewheel is actually comprised of 2 parts (I don't know the technical terms):

1. the wheel itself
  2. the centre disk that holds the wheel to the movement
The screws are on the centre disk.

On Noobmariners and others where they use a date overlay, the third screw might be hidden 75% by the overlay...you just have to work with this and your screwdriver. When you remove the 3 screws, the whole assembly can easily be removed.

You will find 1 u-shaped part always gets stuck to the centre disk...look out for it and don't lose it. It just rests on the surface of the movement...but I need pics to show where...hopefully somebody else who has this documented can pipe in.

There's also another lever that needs to be placed in the right position to ensure the datewheel moves properly...it can just be prodded in place.

Ok...so...not my most helpful post...but at least it will get you started. I just wanted to make sure you had some information. I'll see if I can find some pictures to explain things more clearly if somebody else with the proper know how and terminology can pipe in.

You need AjoeSmith's tutorial. It has detailed pictures. Sssurfer put it up on a website you can download a couple of weeks ago.

Try here: http://www.4shared.com/file/64540613/420884db/aj4813.html

Also if you're installing an overlay, it's whole lot easier to take of the old one and glue on the new one. Just make sure you get the date lined up before the glue hardens. I used rubber cement cause it's easy to remove if you screw up.

Edited by kbh

You need AjoeSmith's tutorial. It has detailed pictures. Sssurfer put it up on a website you can download a couple of weeks ago.

Try here: http://www.4shared.com/file/64540613/420884db/aj4813.html

Also if you're installing an overlay, it's whole lot easier to take of the old one and glue on the new one. Just make sure you get the date lined up before the glue hardens. I used rubber cement cause it's easy to remove if you screw up.

The link was not working for me tonight...I'm following up on this. The main page works...but the actual d/l returned an error. I tried on a few different machines with different o/s...no dice. Stay tuned.

If I can get the pics, I plan to repost the tutorial and relink the pics.

I've replaced the datewheel in my DG4813 and if I can do it you should definitely be able to.

It's a lot like replacing the datewheel on a 7750 (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=37058&hl=).

The main thing I learned is to work on a towel and be really careful with that little spring. The screws and that spring are really easy to loose.

Good luck.

... Let me say a very big THANK YOU to Sssurfer for making this available. When AJ posted the tutorial, I downloaded it but forgot to make sure that pictures were stored locally. When I looked at it several weeks later - two DG4813 in front of me -, pix had been removed from online storage and ... from my copy as well. I've been looking hard for this... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

... Let me say a very big THANK YOU to Sssurfer for making this available. When AJ posted the tutorial, I downloaded it but forgot to make sure that pictures were stored locally. When I looked at it several weeks later - two DG4813 in front of me -, pix had been removed from online storage and ... from my copy as well. I've been looking hard for this... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Any chance you could PM me the file because it seems to be down-Cheers

Is an overlay the same as a datewheel? If it is, wouldn't that interfer once you place the dial over the movement plate?

BTW - I was able to swap datewheels, but when attempting to chagne the date, the part on the movement that is supposed to move the datewheel is not moving. Maybe due to the fact that I have extra parts may have something to do with it ?!?!? Its on its way to Vac for some much needed help.

Is an overlay the same as a datewheel? If it is, wouldn't that interfer once you place the dial over the movement plate?

BTW - I was able to swap datewheels, but when attempting to chagne the date, the part on the movement that is supposed to move the datewheel is not moving. Maybe due to the fact that I have extra parts may have something to do with it ?!?!? Its on its way to Vac for some much needed help.

Yes...the overlay makes the assembly thicker which is why you need to use the movement-dial spacer ring that came with the watch and not the one with the movement otherwise you'll be getting things stuck.

• 5 weeks later...