When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deep Sea, ETA

AllergyDoc

I received this Deep Sea from Time4Direct, a dealer on RG and RWI, today. I think I paid for it on the 2nd. It shipped out on the 7th because I added a watch to the order. Delivery was attempted at my office on the 11th, Saturday, but I sure ain't working on a Sat. Yesterday was a postal holiday so I picked the watch up today. Fast delivery. The Thailand postal site is nothing like EMS tracking, though. Once it hits the U.S. you can track it on usps.com.

The watch was pretty covered with "factory" grime and had to be washed immediately after the plastic was stripped off. Once cleaned, though, it shined quite nicely.

As has been written by a few, this watch is a chunk of steel.

DS%20dial.jpg

Here are some shots of it next to my Skyland Avenger:

DS%20SA%201.jpg

DS%20SA%202.jpg

DS%20SA%203.jpg

DS%20SA%204.jpg

It is as big as the Skyland, yet feels a tad more balanced on the wrist.

The clasp is almost as well constructed as the one on my GMT-II C.

DS%20clasp%203.jpg

DS%20clasp%204.jpg

The new locking clasp is great, once I figured out how to access it. You just lift up the end of the polished center part that is accessed after you open the clasp lock:

DS%20clasp%202.jpg

Then the bracelet can be extended by pulling laterally on the part of the bracelet that extends from the end of the clasp:

DS%20clasp%201.jpg

The gen can be adjusted 1mm at a time. I can't tell if this is the case with my rep. I forgot to photograph the divers' extension that pops out from under the clasp. Pretty cool.

Here are some more shots of the watch:

Crown:

DS%20crown.jpg

Case back:

DS%20back.jpg

Pearl and engraving:

DS%20pearl%202.jpg

DS%20pearl.jpg

Here is my major complaint about this version. The numbers are poorly engraved or stamped into the bezel. The "3" in 30 is particularly bad. Here it is next to a shot of my GMT-II C:

DS%2030.jpg

CGMTcrown2.jpg

See how nicely the GMT looks? Hopefully this will be corrected in the "super" version.

Some final wrist shots:

DS%20wrist%202.jpg

DS%20wrist%201.jpg

DS%20wrist%203.jpg

I've yet to compare the lume with my GMT-II C, the best I have. I'll test it tonight. My test is, after charging a watch under my full-spectrum light reading lamp, can I clearly read the time at 4:00-4:30 a.m.? With the GMT-II C I can.

As I implied in the T4D thread about this watch, I will likely upgrade to the "super" version when it comes out. Someone will get a nice deal on this one!

I would order from T4D again, given the right watch at the right price.

Allergy Doc, For me the ceramic dial is everything. It truly makes the watch, and when Hontwatch offered it, I grabbed it. The numbers look very clean like the gen and the 'glow' of the ceramic gives the watch a rich dimension, much like the Hublot BB ceramic bezel. Nice pics, and even with the bezel not perfect, it is a very cool watch. Congrats! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Checked the lume last night. I charge my watches under a reading lamp for 5-15 minutes. With the GMT-II C I can easily read the time at 4:30 a.m. and the hands lume much brighter than the hour markers, which lume quite nice themselves. This Deep Sea lumes stronger than most but the hour markers are brighter than the hands and it's lost a lot more lume by 4:30 than the GMT-II C.

Are the letters that compose the 'ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE -- RING LOCK SYSTEM' inscription around the rehaut spaced too far apart? :unsure:

Congratulations on getting your........er, heavy water device. This is definitely not a watch for the meek (or weak-kneed). I remain of 2-minds on this 1. :weight_lift2:

Also think it is toooo big. But a nice watch to wear to the pool or to the beach for 'diving'. Hopefully it can take at least up to 7bar. hehe