When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing an eta movement from a bkmariner

gplracer

The rotor is part of the movement, not the case. So just release the stem, unscrew & remove the 2 movement locking tabs & exchange movements. Then, reverse previous steps.

is there any tutorila/pictorials on how to do that? Well it sounds easy..but... you know..

Well, I'm sure there is a tutorial on this, but the search button isn't my friend! It's probably buried deep in the archives and by now the pics might even be gone!

You need a 1.2mm screwdriver, first and foremost. Open the case, pull out the crown- people never seem to agree as to which position to pull it out to- maybe all the way out to the time setting position. Then you stick the screwdriver in the small slot next to where the crown/stem enters the movement- it's a slot with a circle in the middle- and gently pull the crown out.

Next, you remove the two screws and hold down clamps- keep them away from the hairspring. Then you cover the movement w/ some watch paper, flip the case over, and the movement should come out. Sometimes the movement ring will keep it in, you might have to gently coax it.

The biggest downfall is using the wrong size screwdriver and messing up the keyless works while trying to remove the crown/stem. I watch my watchmaker do it with a pair of tweezers, but obviously he does it everyday. The rest of us need to use a 1.2mm screwdriver, period!

I know that Ziggy & others recommend pulling the stem out on ETAs, but I find it is better to leave it in the winding position (unscrewed, but all the way in). Otherwise, you risk having the clutch lever pop out of the channel in the clutch wheel (that holds the clutch wheel in position against the winding pinion) when you reinsert the stem. If/when this occurs, the clutch wheel slides too far to the left (away from the winding pinion) & you lose stem function. The only fix is to disassemble the keyless works & reset the clutch components (you need to remove the hands & dial to get to the keyless works).

There are a few tutorials that describe how to remove an ETA stem, but you will need to Search them out. Check the Watch Repair section also.