When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches In Hong Kong

thomasng

I have been in Hong Kong for 2 full days so far, and I have been absolutely overwhelmed with what I'm seeing here. I think I've died and went to watch heaven here. :bleh:

In terms of reps here, the search has been incredibly disappointing. I found a stand in Mongkok that had a few ETA Rolexes, including a Swiss Daytona, but he wanted HK$1800 for the standard Subs (US$220) and HK$4000 (US$500) for a Asia 7750 Daytona. All other stands were selling the cheap Asian stuff that's no damn good. Looks like I will have to cross the border to get some good stuff.

In terms of genuines, Hong Kong seems to be full of them. You normally have 10 or so watch dealers within a block, filling to the brim with Audemars, Breguet, Franck Muller, Vacheron, Pateks and other high end stuff like IWC, Lange, Piaget, Chopard and Blancpain. You also see a lot of rare pieces from manufacturers like DeWitt, Roger Dubuis and Bovet. Rolex, Tudor and Omega seem to be a dime a dozen here, on a short walking trip around Central Hong Kong, I counted 25 Rolex dealers, all of which stock at least 100 or 200 Rolexes. What is amazing here is simply the stock of all the authorized dealers here. They simply have a huge inventory of each brand they carry, and almost every model you can find here.

Hong Kong is also a great place to buy genuines because of the price. If you ask nicely, you can normally knock 20% off Rolex, and normally 30% off Breguet, AP and Vacheron Constantin. The advantages of buying in Hong Kong are, there are zero taxes, and the list prices are normally far less than what you see at authorized dealers in the UK or the US.

I've only had time to go to only one dealer to ask about an AP and Breguet, and the offers they made were incredibly tempting, as they were close to prices for used pieces in the US. I would think that there are at least 30 or 40 high end watch dealers here, and maybe 100 Rolex dealers, it looks like i'll be kept busy for a while. ;) Also, there are many watch boutiques here, like Richard Mille, Roger Dubuis, IWC etc.

I'll take pictures when I can of the dealer displays etc.

Admin.

Try the ladies' night market in Kowloon. The reps come out after 9:00pm or so. No, you probably won't find much in the way of super high quality (like our dealers offer here), but you will see thousands of watches and they can be had cheap. Who knows, you might get lucky and stumble across something worth taking home.

Bill.

Ah ok, I went to Ladies Market yesterday around 5pm, and there were quite a few police officers around, but I don't expect it to be cheap here anyways, which is fine, as I already have a multiple entry Chinese visa in my British passport ready.

@ubi, I'll try my best with my phone camera! I just realized I didn't bring a proper camera.

Panerai in Hong Kong? No problem - there is a Panerai Boutique there.

OFFICINE PANERAI

Prince's Building, shop G-30, 10 Chater Road, Central

Hong Kong

"Robbors" on the mainland? Of course. Every country has its criminals. But I think that the leval of crime against foreigners in China is very low. I feel much safer walking around in China than I do in America. Take sensible recautions, as you would anywhere else.

Admin - before you leave HK there is one thing that you must do. Have a beer in the bar of the Intercontinental Hotel in Tsim Shat Sui at eight o'clock in the evening. You will witness the best man-made view in the world.

87715-29028.jpg

I'm guessing that you are staying in Central... no problem... the Intercontinental is only a couple of hundred yards from the Star Ferry terminal.

The other thing that you must do is book a table for Sunday Brunch at the Intercontinental. Bottomless Moet & Chandon and all the lobster you can eat. And a whole load of other stuff... seafood, sushi, sushimi, a huge range of Chinese and Japanese dishes... traditional English roast beef with all the trimmings... you won't have ever seen a buffet like this. And it isn't even expensive. I always eat so much that I have to go and have a nap afterwards.

87715-29029.jpg

On the mainland, the place to find reps used to be the "Commercial City" (shopping mall) in LoWu... take the train from Tsim Shat Tsui to LoWu. Be prepared for long delays as you pass through immigration... as you exit the station there is an ATM where you can get some local currency, although most places in ShenZhen seem happy to accept HK dollars. Anyway, come out of the station, turn right, go up the stairs that you will see on your left - and you are at LoWu Commercial City.

The shops inside are cheaper than those on the walkway outside. The place used to be full of reps... but last time I was there, there had been a police crack-down, so there were few reps to be seen. They are there... you have to ask. It is a fun place to go shopping though.

You are unlikely to find any high-end reps in LoWu. The only place that I have ever found high-end reps was in the wholesale watch market in Canton... and the few that I saw were "last years model"... our favoured dealers have the latest stuff.

Have fun!

Clive

I took 74 pictures just for you Ubi. I also took a lot of pictures of watch shop displays. I'll try to get them up tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice Highflyingclive! I own an apartment here, and stay in the Mid-Levels, in the Soho area.

I also bought a Breguet Marine Big Date today, I went into a watch dealer (Prince Watch and Jewellery) at Ocean Terminal, asked to see it, the lady brought out the calculator and gave me a price that I just couldn't say no to, an absolute steal at HK$52,000, just about $6700 US, considering used pieces are all upwards of US$8000.

I am talking about the numbers of ADs having panerai in stock. At the boutique you generally won't have any discount. Did you know most of them have a high waiting list?

As for robbers...well, I'm talking about robbers, armed robbers not thieves. Thoses people are highway robbers, they don't care who you are....

Anyway, just my two cents and enjoy your stay! :lol:

I am talking about the numbers of ADs having panerai in stock. At the boutique you generally won't have any discount. Did you know most of them have a high waiting list?

As for robbers...well, I'm talking about robbers, armed robbers not thieves. Thoses people are highway robbers, they don't care who you are....

Anyway, just my two cents and enjoy your stay! :lol:

I saw two dealers at Ocean Terminal today that had Panerai in stock, and also passed by the boutique which was closed today. I'm sure there are many more here.

And another warning, you will never see so many Daytonas together in one window display! I went to Emperor Watch in Causeway Bay and spotted 30 Daytonas together in a single window display. Every store literally has hundreds of Rolexes, Omegas and the like. Absolutely f**king insane. The prices here are so damn good, that you can buy a plane ticket over here, buy your watch go back home and still save thousands from buying at home.

Plenty of time to shop, I'm here until September 1st.

Also, never bring your significant others with you when you shop for watches. They can make your money disappear quickly. Give them a distraction or two.

I bought her a Cartier yesterday for HK$200,000 and she eyed another Franck Muller today ominously.

Damn. Now I know where to go watch shopping. I was back in Singapore and the amount of watches I have seen have drove me nuts for a while there. I should probably shop in HK instead. I'm holding my $$ till the end of year for my trip to HK.... Thanks for the excellent insight Admin.

Edit: Congrats on your Breguet Marine Big Date, wear it in good health!

Damn. Now I know where to go watch shopping. I was back in Singapore and the amount of watches I have seen have drove me nuts for a while there. I should probably shop in HK instead. I'm holding my $$ till the end of year for my trip to HK.... Thanks for the excellent insight Admin.

Tell me what you are interested in, and I'll give you the best dealers for them, as I have plenty of time to ask beforehand. But always think before you buy. HK will make you say bye-bye to your money faster than you can say "RWG" :bleh:

Another advice, always have plenty of HK$ cash on hand, ready to settle a deal. If you have cash on hand at the moment, you have plenty of room to haggle and bargain hard.

Tell me what you are interested in, and I'll give you the best dealers for them, as I have plenty of time to ask beforehand. But always think before you buy. HK will make you say bye-bye to your money faster than you can say "RWG" :bleh:

Another advice, always have plenty of HK$ cash on hand, ready to settle a deal. If you have cash on hand at the moment, you have plenty of room to haggle and bargain hard.

Thanks in advance Admin. I'll PM you a small list of few watches in a bit. :)

I bought her a Cartier yesterday for HK$200,000 and she eyed another Franck Muller today ominously.

My wife must never, ever come to read this! :black_eye:

I have just spent HK$1,200 for her anniversary - and she's over the moon. It has taken me years to break her spirit....! :rolleyes:

Have a great stay in HK. Who doesn't love HK?! :wub:

Cheers! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hi there

there is another market place call " temple street " just 15 mintues walking distance

from Mong Kok ladies market.

Temple street only starts from 7pm onwards....

but if u are a foreigner, then probably best not to have too much cash on u when u go.

there are a lof of reps there but mostly the cheap quality ... u have to be selective and

then talk to them and gain their trust before they will show u the good stuff.

they will take u upstairs .... so unless u are prepared, then probably not a good idea

if u have never dealt with them before...... " becareful " :unsure:

My wife must never, ever come to read this! :black_eye:

I have just spent HK$1,200 for her anniversary - and she's over the moon. It has taken me years to break her spirit....! :rolleyes:

Have a great stay in HK. Who doesn't love HK?! :wub:

Cheers! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well, it's the only way I can keep my watch buying habits afloat I guess. :bounce:

Guest Watchandpen

I am not so sure that HK is that far superior to Singapore for gens. I recommend Sincere and Hour Glass which are top notch luxury watch boutiques with several branches in Singaporea (and also in Malaysia and HK) - and they will cut a deal. Additionally, if you are not Singaporean (or resident in Singapore), upon departure, you will be able to recover most of the GST which I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) is c. 4.5%. B)

Guest Watchandpen

C'mon Andrew - what "no money to buy"? As an elite dealer on this illustrious forum, surely you MUST be in clover!! I shall try to help - let me know when another "must have" 99% job comes up (Rolex, Omega, Panerai). :victory::yeah:

I also bought a Breguet Marine Big Date today, I went into a watch dealer (Prince Watch and Jewellery) at Ocean Terminal, asked to see it, the lady brought out the calculator and gave me a price that I just couldn't say no to, an absolute steal at HK$52,000, just about $6700 US, considering used pieces are all upwards of US$8000.

Congrats on another superb purchase, Admin. One word of warning though. If you get caught by customs when coming back to the UK, you can add at least 22% (in VAT and import duty) on top of what you paid. I've been stopped on my last two trips back from HK (although I was ok as I had nothing to declare).

Edited by ratchpot