When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches In Hong Kong

thomasng

I am actually returning to Toronto, I plan on leaving both watches with relatives who are going to visit Toronto in October, they aren't Canadian residents, so they can bring in whatever they desire. They can just wear the watches on their wrist, and leave them with me. I can just mail the boxes and papers back from here.

@Watchandpen, you're right, Singapore is also a great place for genuine watches, also with an amazing selections at ADs like Hong Kong, but I have honestly never seen so many dealers carry Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Breguet and Patek Philippe in such a small space, with major chains like Prince, Emperor, Elegant, Halewinner, and many independent stores. Asia in general is a great place to shop for watches. Oh yeah, while you're here, enjoy the great food and sights (also applies in Singapore and the rest of Asia).

I am actually returning to Toronto, I plan on leaving both watches with relatives who are going to visit Toronto in October, they aren't Canadian residents, so they can bring in whatever they desire. They can just wear the watches on their wrist, and leave them with me. I can just mail the boxes and papers back from here.

You pre-empted my question. :D

Admin, you should organize a watch shopping tour to HK some day, I'd definately be in for that.

That would be so cool.

First RWG GTG in HK :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Congrats on another superb purchase, Admin. One word of warning though. If you get caught by customs when coming back to the UK, you can add at least 22% (in VAT and import duty) on top of what you paid. I've been stopped on my last two trips back from HK (although I was ok as I had nothing to declare).

Should that really be a problem? If you hide the papers properly and wear the watch, they'll never find out where you bought it? On top of it, will customs be aware of brands like DeWitt, etc.?

Just wondering...

Admin,

Have you made a stop by Nathan Road yet?

Was there last night for dinner, but I promptly left as the place gets a bit scary when it's dark, especially the Tsim Sha Tsui section. Too much to do, so little time. -_-

I finally got to try on DeWitts today, 5 pieces, including a tourbillon. Amazing pieces, really something unique and avantgarde, but too expensive as always. Also got to try some rarer IWCs at the IWC boutique at Prince Building, including the boutique exclusive skeleton FA Jones. Too bad the phone was out of battery. :(

Also, you could also mail the watch back like we do with reps, it's real anyways.

I also bought a Breguet Marine Big Date today, I went into a watch dealer (Prince Watch and Jewellery) at Ocean Terminal, asked to see it, the lady brought out the calculator and gave me a price that I just couldn't say no to, an absolute steal at HK$52,000, just about $6700 US, considering used pieces are all upwards of US$8000.

nice watch..one of my favourites...will you post some nice pics of it on your return home...

Should that really be a problem? If you hide the papers properly and wear the watch, they'll never find out where you bought it? On top of it, will customs be aware of brands like DeWitt, etc.?

It really can be a problem, yes.

[censored]ing hell- half the pictures I took were awful. Cell phone cameras [censored]ing suck ass.

Did more watch browsing.... no more new purchases to report, but there's still a lot of temptation. What I noticed is in Hong Kong, all the ADs cover the watches in saran wrap from face to bracelet, and even leather straps. That way, new watches are new watches unlike some ADs which give you a banged up one as new. They wrap them up so well that it's hard to ntoice when looking at displays.

[censored]ing hell- half the pictures I took were awful. Cell phone cameras [censored]ing suck ass.

I think I may have mentioned this numerous times in my photography tutorials. Even if it looks passable on the tiny, tiny phone screen, once you get it to a 24" calibrated HD monitor, it looks like a grey smudge.

Any chance of taking a small real camera next time? :D

tag, sorry but I cant't get my eyes of that avatar of yours.....please more pics..... :Jumpy:

Just wondering...