When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona rep 2009

triosLescano

The current modern Daytona is visually fairly accurate. What's the point of upgrading something that has a POS movement?

Redoing the seconds at '6 movement (and making it reliable) would be much better news.

yeah - i also think that making a half-decent (not even fully decent!) secs @ 6 movement would be the best thing- i wouldnt mind having

the same secs @ 6 tona' with a reengineered "reliable" movement beating inside..

i always wonder it that would ever happen? it doesnt seem to look like anyone at the rep factories are working on a solution, or maybe there is no solution for the lame secs @ 6 gearing mechanism?

just thinking..

maybe there is no solution for the lame secs @ 6 gearing mechanism?

Using the Search, you will find this cure for the ailing secs at 6 movement (just print out & give to your watchmaker - all of the movements I have thus treated have continued to run trouble-free) & a guide to building a more accurate secs at 6 Daytona.

Sorry, I have another idea

Daytona is the watch more loved from the enthusiasts of Rolex. Millions of potential buyers in the world

But in the world of reps there is a good real ceramic Big Bang for 799 dollars and a Concord (?) for 500. There are some tourby (as JLC) that have a price of 1300 dollars.........

But do not exist a pretty rep of daytona !

I think that it is not rasonable thing, that the only rep of daytona is a poor poor asian watch, quality of reps of three years old, a case completly different in measures and form, a economic dial, poor hands, crown, parts ecc....

The modding that you propose is ingegnous, you are very expert, but, sorry.......... in my opinion the final result is nothing.

I hope that the best producers of reps in future propose us a Daytona rep in exterior so similar , for example, to the Daytona of Ubi, Phong ec.. but whit a sino-movement, not a gen Zenith, because Zenith gen has a hig price and in my opinion, is stupid to spend 3000 euro for a rep, is good to spend max 700 euro for a very very nice rep.

I dont desire the moon I desire a watch very nice as euromariner, for example, or as Noob black Explorer II (whit a non-noobmariner crystal !!) ecc.. These best watches do exist, why Daytona no ? Is not impossible, is not very difficult, but.... NO !

I think that a good rep Daytona has in the world a number of potential buyers that is the 100.000% of the buyers of Concord, Hublot $ 780, JLC Tourby $ 1350,00 ecc...

Sorry, I have another idea

Daytona is the watch more loved from the enthusiasts of Rolex. Millions of potential buyers in the world

But in the world of reps there is a good real ceramic Big Bang for 799 dollars and a Concord (?) for 500. There are some tourby (as JLC) that have a price of 1300 dollars.........

But do not exist a pretty rep of daytona !

I think that it is not rasonable thing, that the only rep of daytona is a poor poor asian watch, quality of reps of three years old, a case completly different in measures and form, a economic dial, poor hands, crown, parts ecc....

The modding that you propose is ingegnous, you are very expert, but, sorry.......... in my opinion the final result is nothing.

I hope that the best producers of reps in future propose us a Daytona rep in exterior so similar , for example, to the Daytona of Ubi, Phong ec.. but whit a sino-movement, not a gen Zenith, because Zenith gen has a hig price and in my opinion, is stupid to spend 3000 euro for a rep, is good to spend max 700 euro for a very very nice rep.

I dont desire the moon I desire a watch very nice as euromariner, for example, or as Noob black Explorer II (whit a non-noobmariner crystal !!) ecc.. These best watches do exist, why Daytona no ? Is not impossible, is not very difficult, but.... NO !

I think that a good rep Daytona has in the world a number of potential buyers that is the 100.000% of the buyers of Concord, Hublot $ 780, JLC Tourby $ 1350,00 ecc...

I agree with this. I have often felt that if the rep makers could come up with some of the super reps we have now, why not a good and reliable Daytona. I think the short answer is that they know that they really don't have to, whatever they produce now will sell just fine with out any effort in improving it. However, I think we are seeing a change here in the rep world recently. Just a short time ago, everyone was searching for the best Sub they could find, and it seemed that it would always be a "unicorn" for us. One model had a great case but a crappy dial and bad bezel assembly while another model had a good overall build quality and a horrible dial and date wheel. Seemed like the industry got us close, but we still had to combine the best attributes from multiple watches to build one good one.

Now we have watches like the Euromariner and the WM9 Subs, watches that have been reviewed by some of the best folks we have here to be nearly perfect in construction, build quality and looks. So as we go, we are seeing it possible to get the perfect Sub almost out of the box. Add to this the Deep Sea reps that are comming out that are not only approaching the correct case size (a case proprietory to the Deep Sea), but even having a decent looking glide lock clasp, and these are apparently not even the "Super" editions we may see at the end of the year. All of this replicating a new model that most have not even had a chance to see for real yet. We are also well aquainted with the HBB's and AP ROOs', watches with complicated dials and different subdial arrangements being made available which are almost dead ringers for the real deal, and the Skyland...need I say more?

So what is the deal with the Daytona? I have often said that if they could do a faux chrono seconds a 9 version, with more correct looking subdial spacing, a thinner case, and built solid with quality parts, I would be the first in line. As By-Tor said, the current seconds at 6 model is scary close when looking at it straight on, but the case is way too thick and that is something that is un-fixible since the A7750 (or ETA 7750) is a thick movement that needs that size case to fit. I think it may have been Ubi who built a thinner case seconds at 6 rep, but I would assume that it took a lot of fine works and planning to make it a success, but I suppose if any one could do it, it would be Ubi. Of couse case thickness, while being important to me, would take a back seat to the issue of the movement itself and its historic problems. A lot of folks here have just about had complete success in solving those problems with servicing, graphite treatments, and still more of those problems could be solved if the movements were properly jeweled from the factory to begin with.

So I don't get it either, maybe we will somday see the production of a real good Daytona rep, but since it is a modified chronograph, maybe not. If the rep makers are reading this, they need to realize that if a solid performing, well made and accurate looking Daytona was produced, many of us would probably be eager to throw the old models in the trash and spend more $$ on the new and improved (if it is indeed improved). After all, it has been proven that many are willing to spend as much as a grand on a super rep (no, I am not one of those folks), I am sure that a dependable, accurate looking Daytona would be a slam dunk for lets say $500 US.

What do the rest of you think??

What do the rest of you think??

The sticking point in building a current model Daytona is & has always been the seconds at 6 movement. Yes, if there was sufficient interest, 1 of the factories could produce a faux chrono (using existing rep parts), but I think that the majority of rep buyers (who are much less knowledgeable or critical than we are) are more interested in having a functional chrono, which is 1 of the reasons we have not seen a modern Daytona rep with an accurate dial & case.

But, until/unless a Daytona Super rep gets made, read post 7.

Some quick and dirty shots of teo daytonas that I have had for a long time. The SS one was purchased from sean a dealer in taiwan when they first dropped in price. I believe it is 3 to 4 years old and still working perfectly. The case is far superior to the chinese two tone version. Much thinner and better finish. The two tone version purchased from paul starts and stops intermittently. This problem came about after a couple months. I don;t know enough about movements to take either apart but my guess is the first SS versions had better movements. It runs alot smoother as well. They are both asian btw.

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

I don't think there is any way they can improve on the current daytona without a totally new movement. It would have to be much more reliable and thinner to allow for a thinner case. This would also allow for better proportions of the crystal and bezel which is too slanted in the current versions. If they do a completely new movement for the daytona, maybe a clone of the 4135, it will be quite expensive considering they couldn't use it in any other watch. If they made a zenith clone they could use it in more watches, but it wouldn't be as popular as the modern daytona. The only quick fix I can see is to make a thinner case, remove the rotor and make it hand wound, and add jewels to the transfer gears.

I think that the first issue of a correct Daytona rep is the movement

It would be necessary to generate a movement that has the same thickness and sub Dials hands correct position of zenith caliber (for a copy of 16520) or rolex caliber (for a 116520 copy)

Is possible that the chinese manufacturers produce these movements? NO because FOR building a complex movement only for a type of watch is necessary to spend and THE work is not rewarded by a sufficient gain

In my idea, today is possible a correct Daytona realized using a v7750 @ 6 without rotor and inverter.

The thickness allows a proper case. Then is necessary to produce an excellent dial, good quality case, hands etc. .. as the old MBK set for Zenith copy Daytona (or as Phong....)

Is possible that the Chinese manufacturers produce it?

NO because they produce and sell very well millions of incorrect daytonas, steel. Two tone, gold, mother of pearl, diamonds, no diamonds ... etc. ..

They have a great business , why spend on a new project ?

Business is business ... ....

PS I have a suspect. Chinese have other movement, non only eta, v7750 and venus7seagull. I have seen a daytona vintage whit GEN Valjoux 72 in the site of Hompo. Hig price. Gen Valjoux ? Or a mysterious copy ?? Is it a stupid suspect ??