When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What reps are out there that are ~40 mm?

whitestripes

Ever since I got my Speedmaster Date, I've found that 40mm, +/- 1mm is the ideal size for me. I have changed my speedy Pro to leather strap, to make it a little smaller looking, and more elegant, imho. It also justifies keeping both the pro and the date, being different enough in dial layouts, bling, and strap style. Anyway, back when I had the 40mm noobmariner I was very happy with how well it fit me.

Question: what reps are out there that are roughly 40mm? With all the hoopla about OVERSIZE watches, it seems that 42mm is regular (I can pull it off, but it's on the large end of the spectrum), and watches must be 44mm+ to be considered "big." It's hard to find information on smaller (dare I say regular-sized, or recently contemporary) watches.

Besides the entire Rolex sport watch line (which I can't pull off as a guy in his very early 20s ... Omega doesn't carry the same name "stigma" that Rolex does, and the Pro is not flashy at all) what reps are available at 40mm?

The IWC3717 I had was huge (all dial).

Range of 38-41 mm(or 42 if it's a must-have, like the new Bond SMP ). I might prefer the black SMP, if it's repped (why not with the case already made?)

Thanks! Just trying to build my collection of keepers!

Rolex sport is pretty young...I'm in my mid 20's and I pull it off just fine...if it's a question of affordability you could buy something like the rep vintage submariners, do a little project work and just say you inherited it or something like that if believability is the issue...

I'd say something like a VC or IWC Ingy but if you don't think you could pull off a Rolex a VC is def. out.

I'd also say check into the for sale fantasy Pam (@40 MM) that MickyPadge is selling in the for sale section of the board...looks pretty good, DSN, Superlume etc and unless you know some PAM experts most people won't call you out at all...

Hope that helps!

Besides the entire Rolex sport watch line (which I can't pull off as a guy in his very early 20s

Why couldn't you pull it off? Size-wise or $$$ wise? Here's a shot of a vintage gen Sub borrowed from our cousin gen forum- I'll bet he's in his 20's - does this look too small for your taste?

1680creamywhite.jpg

...This piece as you probably know, currently goes for about $8000-$10,000 right now. I'll settle the closest I can get right now, from Andrew...

DSC01091.JPG

Best to you, I'm just brainstorming, Arty

Why couldn't you pull it off? Size-wise or $$$ wise? Here's a shot of a vintage gen Sub borrowed from our cousin gen forum- I'll bet he's in his 20's - does this look too small for your taste?

Size-wise, 40mm Rolex sports watches are perfect. When I had my noob sub, it was the first time I had a 40mm watch on (I previously wore a 37mm Seiko 5, which is definitely too small, and I currently wear a 42mm Speedy Pro on strap). It was probably the perfect size and thickness, IMHO.

$$$/status wise is the issue. I am still going to school, early 20s. With new Subs starting out at $5K (at least last time I checked... it seems like they go up in price every week or so), I don't know if I can pull off the cachet and stigma of the coronet. I would hate people asking me if it's real all the time, which is a major reason why I sold my noobmariner. I thought about getting a sterile sub once, but I don't really want to shell out $240 for an ETA sterile sub with poor lume (especially when there's super reps with the same lume out here), and didn't want the Asian one.

I've thought about the vintage, but I guess I just don't want a Rolex on my wrist at this time in my life. I'd say Rolex is the only luxury watch brand in 90% of people, but Omega might be growing due to the Bond connection and their name splashed everywhere on the Olympics.

I know Rolex is notoriously slow to change, but they did land upon probably the most enduring case size for sports watches, 40mm. (Omega's close at 41mm) Larger case sizes are the trend for the moment, IMHO. Maybe I'm just bitter because I don't have a large wrist. :rolleyes: I saw the new Deep Sea in person on some guy on a plane... he was smaller than I was, with smaller wrists, and it absolutely dwarfed him (not just just wrist). I thought he was going to topple over when he used his watch hand to give his ticket to the attendant.

Anyway, with the perfect case size, my dream when I'm older is to get a Euromariner (16610 no lugholes, no engraving), White Explorer II, a Pepsi GMT (with coke bezel, too), and throw in a daytona for good measure.

For now, I'm hoping to score some watches without the crown on the dial. It's funny, I bet I could wear a Patek Calatrava without anyone (non WIS) looking twice, but once they see the Rolex on the dial, WIS and non-WIS alike will take notice.

i'm in my 20s and pull off a submariner VERY nicely. it's all in how you carry yourself and interact with people. and in all fairness the submariner isnt as expensive as many things that have come out of Rolex. i think an Explorer 1 however can be pulled off easier for someone in their 20s. if it's an older sub someone might assume it's been in the family for awhile and it's your 'turn' to wear it.

The Omega Constellation Double Eagle is probably the least talked about highest quality rep available. I have had the Two tone version for several years and always get compliments on it. It is 40mm, sporty yet dressy so very versatile. You also won't see yourself coming and going in this watch. At a gen price of around $3k it is not far fetched that anyone would own a real one.

The rep is very well built and substantial on the wrist. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the submariner. They are the quintescential replica and for every gen you see there are 20 fakes.