When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help needed- cal. 3035

hi all,

can anyone please tell me which rep will fit a 3035?

i am looking to do a franken project based on the 3035 movement that i have, possibly into a submariner or other sports models.

and currently, who has the most accurate sub dial on the market?

thanks!!!

The 3035 calibre was introduced in 1977 & was used in these models (maybe more) - 15505, 16000, 16003, 16008, 16009, 16013, 16014, 16018, 16019, 16030, 16078, 16250, 16253, 16258, 16600, 16660, 16800, 16803, 16808.

As to whether or how well it may fit into a particular rep case, that depends on which factory made the case and/or how much work you are willing to do to reshape it (the case). My franken experience is limited to vintage (mostly 15xx calibre) models, but maybe someone who has built a modern franken will be able to provide more definite info.

hi freddy,

first of all, thanks!

have you any idea of the dimensions (diameter and thickness) of the ETA and the gen movements?

also, how much is one looking at for a gen sapphire crystal?

im sorry for all the newb questions as i need to seek as much info as i can for this project (as i already have the mvt)

thanks again!

hi freddy,

first of all, thanks!

have you any idea of the dimensions (diameter and thickness) of the ETA and the gen movements?

also, how much is one looking at for a gen sapphire crystal?

im sorry for all the newb questions as i need to seek as much info as i can for this project (as i already have the mvt)

thanks again!

3035 = Dia - 28.5mm & Height - 6.3mm

You can find specs on whichever ETA you are interested in at www.eta.ch.

I work mainly with Plexiglas crystals, but depending on which crystal you are looking for, most likely within a range of between $50-$300.

hi all,

can anyone please tell me which rep will fit a 3035?

i am looking to do a franken project based on the 3035 movement that i have, possibly into a submariner or other sports models.

and currently, who has the most accurate sub dial on the market?

thanks!!!

If you're going to use a gen 3035 its worth getting a gen dial. Modern dials can be found quite easily on Ebay and are not so expensive and much less hassle to install in a gen movement.

For the most part the one thing that lets down a good rep is the dial...

Cheers

P.

Polexpete's right, a decent 16800/16610 Submariner dial can be found on ebay for $150. A set of 3035/3135 hands from Clark's run's about $20.

I've never seen anyone put a 3035 in a rep case, but a noob case might work, As Freddy says, you might have to do some shaping to the inside of the case to make room for the movement. And the crown/stem position might not work in the case, but all you can do is try. Have no idea how you will secure the movt to the case.

I've built 16014 and 16013 frankens using a 2836-2 ETA and the crown lined up correctly. Since the 2836-2 fits in a noob case, maybe a 3035 crown will line up all right. But you're basically in uncharted waters, so you're really on your own.

Actually, if you already have a running 3035, I do not know why you would even entertain the thought of putting it into anything other than a gen case. Generally, people build ETA-powered frankens solely because the gen movement is too expensive & the rep dial/case parts are relatively cheap. But, in your case, you already have the expensive part, the movement, so why not just buy a gen 1601x Datejust case & dial on ebay (you can pick the pair up for the cost of the average rep watch) & then press on a pair of Clark's hands & crystal & you have a nearly gen watch. Or, for just a bit more, buy a set of gen hands & crystal & you have a Franken-gen (a gen watch cobbled together from gen parts).

I think I'd remove the date ring and related date parts and drop the 3035 in to a 16200 case with a genuine Explorer I dial, remove the cyclops and you'd have a good looking, almost genuine Explorer I 14270. The genuine cases are plentiful, pretty cheap and parts are easy to find. With the rep cases there are too many variables to suit me. Just my opinion of course.

Good point, Freddy. I wondered the same thing myself. Another option would be the Far East upgrade, so to speak. Take the 3035 and put it in a solid 18KYG aftermarket Rolex case with a gen dial, hands and crystal and a solid gold bracelet. The solid gold Datejust for around $5K.

Last week we did see a 16610 case from Sean at ETASwiss for $600. But a 16610 takes a 3135, not a 3035 movement.

I do keep waiting for NDT to come out with a 16800 case. Natalie already has the 16800 matte dials- but most people are probably taking out the later gloss dials w/ WG surrounds and putting in the matte dial- the 16800 'matte dial upgrade'.

Actually, if you already have a running 3035, I do not know why you would even entertain the thought of putting it into anything other than a gen case. Generally, people build ETA-powered frankens solely because the gen movement is too expensive & the rep dial/case parts are relatively cheap. But, in your case, you already have the expensive part, the movement, so why not just buy a gen 1601x Datejust case & dial on ebay (you can pick the pair up for the cost of the average rep watch) & then press on a pair of Clark's hands & crystal & you have a nearly gen watch. Or, for just a bit more, buy a set of gen hands & crystal & you have a Franken-gen (a gen watch cobbled together from gen parts).

hi freddy et al....=)

sorry for the late reply as i have been little tied up with work...=)

yes, you are right about what you've said...

however, i do not just have the movement as i have a datejust (on strap) which is given to me as a gift (stainless steel with gold bezel, crown not original though). also the movement needs a over-haul now.

the reason for this project is mainly that i feel a sports (sub etc.) model is more to my likings and would really love to have one as a daily beater...=)

so pardon me, if you think my project is meanless but would really appreciate it if anyone could help me source the right parts (be it gen or rep) so that i can have a sub on my wrist.

many thanks!

Good point, Freddy. I wondered the same thing myself. Another option would be the Far East upgrade, so to speak. Take the 3035 and put it in a solid 18KYG aftermarket Rolex case with a gen dial, hands and crystal and a solid gold bracelet. The solid gold Datejust for around $5K.

Last week we did see a 16610 case from Sean at ETASwiss for $600. But a 16610 takes a 3135, not a 3035 movement.

I do keep waiting for NDT to come out with a 16800 case. Natalie already has the 16800 matte dials- but most people are probably taking out the later gloss dials w/ WG surrounds and putting in the matte dial- the 16800 'matte dial upgrade'.

hi alligoat,

thanks for the pointers!

who makes aftermarket 18k cases and are they 1:1? (pm me if you see fit)...=)

since the 3035 will be for a modern sub, i was wondering if they will be made in 904L steel in the future, if so then it will really be sweet...=)

does anyone know if the current modern reps are made from 316L steel or 904L as used by gen?

many thanks!

i have a slightly different opinon, if I may

given that you have the whole watch.. i would suggest you rebuild that watch to its orginal state instead of taking the movement out of that poor watch. After you change the crown back to original gold crown, you will get a nice TT datejust and will be able to sell it on 2nd hand market.

If you use that money, you can always build 1-2 very good frankens.

Personally, I prefer to build a franken with gen dial, gen bezel, gen bracelet and use a swiss ETA movement..but that's just imo. except probably something that requires a GMT movement.

Flex

hi freddy et al....=)

sorry for the late reply as i have been little tied up with work...=)

yes, you are right about what you've said...

however, i do not just have the movement as i have a datejust (on strap) which is given to me as a gift (stainless steel with gold bezel, crown not original though). also the movement needs a over-haul now.

the reason for this project is mainly that i feel a sports (sub etc.) model is more to my likings and would really love to have one as a daily beater...=)

so pardon me, if you think my project is meanless but would really appreciate it if anyone could help me source the right parts (be it gen or rep) so that i can have a sub on my wrist.

many thanks!

i have a slightly different opinon, if I may

given that you have the whole watch.. i would suggest you rebuild that watch to its orginal state instead of taking the movement out of that poor watch. After you change the crown back to original gold crown, you will get a nice TT datejust and will be able to sell it on 2nd hand market.

hi flex,

thanks for your opinion and i do appreciate it...=)

its just that it took much effort for me to restore and etc etc....

i think that as long as the final watch could be turned back to original then all is still good i guess...=)

regards

• 4 years later...