When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

approaching a watchmaker to service watch

rolexconfuse

How do go about approaching a watchmaker to work on your rep? Especially if you don't have a "regular" guy/store that you go to or buy from?

I like to get my watch serviced but....I'm not sure how i would even start the topic

I would be honest about what you have and what needs to be done. It is also helpful to warn about any surprises ... like glued on dials, exploding crystals, stripped crown tubes, the stray pubic hair :) ... etc. It also helps to say that you won't hold them responsible for any problems. This is especially helpful with clone movements (which a lot of watchmakers won't touch).

First of all, don't take reps to any authorized dealers of any kind. Open the yellow pages and check for your "local" watchsmiths. Call him and tell him you have a regular automatic watch that needs servicing.

You don't have to tell him the brand of the watch. Just ask if he could do the job for you. Only tell him it's a rep if he insists on first knowing the brand of the watch prior to you coming over to his shop. This is so both of you don't waste each other's time in case he just doesn't work on reps.

When he says "yes", then take the watch to his store and when you give him the watch, casually tell him it's a replica with automatic movement.

With the economy being so bad, your local watchsmiths will take the job. If you have a good rep, you'll get compliments from him and then he becomes your best friend.

10 out 10 this approach has worked well for me.

Good luck.

I would never go to a shop who also sells watches. Even not cheap ones.

Just go to a person who only is a watch smith. Most times to them a watch is a watch replica or gen, does not matter. As long as it is not a 'Canal Street' watch i am sure they are willing to work on it, specially if it has a ETA clone movement.

My watch smith has worked on many many replica's. Serviced movements, replaced dials, crystals, etc.

cheers!

I know place that does good work in NYC but they also work on gen rolexes & and other high end watches. They aren't a authorized dealer/watchmaker for any brands. They have a workshop in a mid-town with all kinds of gizmos. I've been there once with a friend who took their tag in for some maintainence. I want to ask them but I'm a little worried.