When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you sell or have you sold a gen to buy more reps?

sp12

I would separate the two decisions. If you are tired of the Omega and it won't get wrist time than sell it. If it would get wrist time I would keep it. On reps you have the risk factor of getting a watch which is beautiful but has or will develop problems and it is harder to get it fixed. Of course, the funny thing is that at the moment it seems that reps hold their value reasonably for a brief period of time.

I'd echo Kruzer's advice of if you wear it, keep it, if you don't, sell it, but, I'd add another aspect keeping the economy in mind... If you were to keep the watch, should you ever fall into real financial difficulty, you can always sell the watch for a reasonable amount of cash, but, if you sell it now, and spend the cash on reps (while I totally appreciate the idea of having several reps rather than one gen) should finances turn difficult, it might be harder for you to get such a good re-sale price on your several reps, as you might for the one gen...

Buying for the sake of buying makes no sense to me. The real question is why would several watches be better than one watch? The question should be re-vamped to better understand your self and your own needs and motivations.

If you don't love that gen, sell it, but have an idea what you want to replce it with first. More is nver more in my experinence after many years of collecting. I find I get the most enjoyment from really giving a lot of thought to the watches I choose to own as opposed to what I used to do which was just buy and buy thinking I would fill all the voids by doing so. Now I keep trimming down but with each cut I grow more attached to the core watches in my collection as I'm forcing myself to really consider if I love a piece or not.

Maybe you might want to sell the watch you have and there is one otgher gen that you might like instead? Rep or gen isn't the issue. Sell the Omega if it doesn't inspire you anymore, but don't just spend all you get for it on a bunch reps just because you don't know what else to do. I'll bet you whatever that if you do, it won't be long before you tire of your choices and then you will be selling at least some of those reps at a loss again because you jumped the gun.

Just trying to save you some money. Trust me, I could have practically financed a small country with the money I wasted by jumping the gun on watch purchases and I learned the hard way because I've done it with gens more than reps. I even bought a gen AP Millenary and a Big Pilot and a Glashutte all on whims only to realize I could care less about them a week later for not giving thought as to why i was doing it other than i thought they were cool. Those were expensive mistakes. Buy one watch at a time and not until you really are sure you love it and I think you will get the maximum enjoyment from this hobby.

I am thinking about selling my Omega Seamster Professional gen watch to be able to buy more reps without thinking about the economy for a whlie. What do you think about this idea? Have any of you been there done that?

My personal view after years of replica collecting: Its much better to have a great geuine watch than a replica. Much better feeling (in the long run) to wear the real deal if possible

...but its all up to you to make your own rules

Happy Timekeeping

Gunnar :drinks:

I am thinking about selling my Omega Seamster Professional gen watch to be able to buy more reps without thinking about the economy for a whlie. What do you think about this idea? Have any of you been there done that?

I sold off my gens save a few Datejusts not to buy more reps but because after being introduced to quality reps on this forum, I realized that having several gens was a waste of money. Perhaps you are coming to a similar conclusion?

I haven't sold any gens to buy reps although I really need to sell a reasonably large number of both now. I agree that you shouldn't sell one in order to buy the other - sell the SMP if you don't wear it anymore and buy reps if you want. However, if you think of them as replacements for your SMP you are likely to be disappointed.

My modded / franken PAM reps are close to my gens in feel and quality but there are few others that really compare (maybe the SOSF). Today I am wearing my gen Speedy Pro and I wore my gen black SMP for the past few days. There is no way that any rep feels the same as these do.

I haven't sold any gens to buy reps although I really need to sell a reasonably large number of both now. I agree that you shouldn't sell one in order to buy the other - sell the SMP if you don't wear it anymore and buy reps if you want. However, if you think of them as replacements for your SMP you are likely to be disappointed.

My modded / franken PAM reps are close to my gens in feel and quality but there are few others that really compare (maybe the SOSF). Today I am wearing my gen Speedy Pro and I wore my gen black SMP for the past few days. There is no way that any rep feels the same as these do.

All very true PAMman ... I think of reps as facsimiles and not replacements... higher end and modified reps are good enough to satisfy most of my needs and wants but not all of them and I did keep a few gens that I felt I would miss too much.