When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836-2 question

mastergod

Ah No its not just plug and play, this is not a usb we are talking about.

The 2836 GMT movement has been modified and a extra few gears have been added.

EDIT: I realize that you have asked about ETA 2893-2, thats a GMT movement but quite rare at the moment!

Edited by ajoesmith

Ah No its not just plug and play, this is not a usb we are talking about.

The 2836 GMT movement has been modified and a extra few gears have been added.

EDIT: I realize that you have asked about ETA 2893-2, thats a GMT movement but quite rare at the moment!

Thanks ajoesmith! As I

I bought one of those from Bandmaniac for a simple replacement in a DateJust and you better beware. They have such a small hour, minute and second wheel I couldn't even install the hands on it.

Then he said he could get the taller ones. Then he wanted more for that. Then he said he couldn't get it.

I ended up trying to change the wheels with my bad movement and ended up with 2 movements that were no good. The first 2 wheels were easy, then my plan went to crap on the third. Watch repair guy Rex450 said, "too bad, no good, beyond repair".

So be aware that they are not the same as the ones in most of our reps.

I am confused, you start by asking about a 2836-2 and then mention the 2893-2 and then link to a 2836-2.

A 2836-2 is NOT a GMT movement, those that are are modified to be GMT ones not reliable. The odds of your watchmaker being able to manufacture gears and make it into a GMT are slim to none.

A 2893-2 IS a GMT movement designed to be that way, but is very expensive (not hard to find at all, I can get you 100+ if you have the money :) )

The seller on ebay is not informed and probably doesn't have a clue what a GMT hand is...

RG

Well, if the seller is not informed, at least I know I

I think they are in the $500 or so range...the prices have really gone up in the past year.

RG

Do the hands from a modified 2836 work with the 2893, or do you have to go searching for a hand set too? I found a donor watch I can buy cheap and am considering putting the 2893 into a 063 I have.

Edited by tomhorn

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE SELLER REPLIED TO MY QUESTION WHETHER 2836-2 IS READY TO TAKE THE 4TH (GMT) HAND. SURE WOULD BE INTERESTING IF SOMEONE WOULD VERIFY WHETHER HIS INFORMATION IS CORRECT OR NOT:

Dear...

Yes,it is ready to take 4th hand.

No need additional parts.

Thanks ....

- bandmaniac007

Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.

Item and user details

Item Title: ETA 2836-2 Genuine automatic swiss movement

Item Number: 250326021530

Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250326021530

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE SELLER REPLIED TO MY QUESTION WHETHER 2836-2 IS READY TO TAKE THE 4TH (GMT) HAND. SURE WOULD BE INTERESTING IF SOMEONE WOULD VERIFY WHETHER HIS INFORMATION IS CORRECT OR NOT:

Dear...

Yes,it is ready to take 4th hand.

No need additional parts.

Thanks ....

- bandmaniac007

Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.

Item and user details

Item Title: ETA 2836-2 Genuine automatic swiss movement

Item Number: 250326021530

Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250326021530

NO no no, the movement in the eBay link is an standard ETA 2836, it will NOT be 'ready' for a GMT hand

The seller is either telling a lie or he doesnt know what hes talking about

This is the same question you asked in the opening of this post.

Nothing has changed since you quoted the seller 3 days ago and again today, we have already provided you with the answers to your question but you don't believe us.

Obviously you don't accept that ajoesmith and I know what we are talking about, so I think you should go with what the seller says, he should know what he's selling...right?

This is the same question you asked in the opening of this post.

Nothing has changed since you quoted the seller 3 days ago and again today, we have already provided you with the answers to your question but you don't believe us.

Obviously you don't accept that ajoesmith and I know what we are talking about, so I think you should go with what the seller says, he should know what he's selling...right?

With all due respect, I

It certainly wan't clear to me in the first post that the person quoted was different than the two links posted. The links point to the same item and seller.

An ETA 2836-s is not a GMT movement, never was, never will be, except for those in some reps that have been modified. They are terrible movements and full of problems.

Since both links pointed to the same seller, and both quoted basically the same answer, that the 2836-2 was a GMT movement, you can appreciate that after both ajoe and I provided the answer to your questions, we wonder why you are taking the word of the seller vs what we already stated.

Clicking on your link brought me to the exact same 2836-2 both times.

Keep in mind that the modified GMT 2836-2 is a nightmare of a movement, and the quality and modifications run from horrible to terrible, have a read of my review of it (if you haven't already).

Personally I won't touch or go near this movement, not even to remove hands for lume, it's junk.

No hard feelings, but appreciate that your first post stating "a" ebay seller, didn't stand out to me (or probably joe) meaning someone different.

"nuff said...

RG