When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Service and Repair of Reps in UK?

W. N. Mates

My SMP chrono is with him now for a winding gear repair, service and maybe a decent relume (he says he can do this but prices individually)

Fingers crossed - I'll let you all know how it goes - I've told him he'll be a very busy man if it goes well.

As for Tom - I've pm'd twice with no response although I hear his work is good.

RR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I PM'ed the new guy, but there were a few factors that made me go with Steve's contact instead.

Price and speed of turnover. Also the fact he is more "local" helped too.

It looks like we are slowly getting a few good contacts now in the UK.

I'll review the work once I get my watches back.

I PM'ed the new guy, but there were a few factors that made me go with Steve's contact instead.

Price and speed of turnover. Also the fact he is more "local" helped too.

It looks like we are slowly getting a few good contacts now in the UK.

I'll review the work once I get my watches back.

God I hope he does a good job now.........if he hands me a freezer bag full of

jumbled up watch parts, giggling like a fool then I know its been a huge whopping mistake.

*Sits and prays.

LOL! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, both watches are back after a service, gaskets replaced and being regulated.

The two are a little quieter, and were both pressure tested (only a little to make sure they were water resistant).

Overall, well happy. If it keeps them running trouble free for several years.

The guys doing the work is also happy to do others. So if anyone else wants theirs done, I can arrange something to get the watches and payments to him?

I used both TomHighway and Michael Allen in the past. I can recommend both of them. It's true that TH will take his time, but he he does a good job and I have been very satisfied with him. Michael is also very good. I had an emergency once (needed a watch fixed in a very short time for a gift) and he turned it around in 5 or 6 days!! Now, I'm sure he can't do that all the time, and it was a lucky exception, but that's what I call responsiveness! Both TH and Michael are doing more stuff for me at the moment. I plan to post a review of their services soon, but in the meantime, you can approach either of them with no worries.

Well the guy myself and Bibbs use, also serviced my Gen Omega, My Fathers vintage Chronograph and sorted out all the noise issues with my Euromariner, plus Bibbs's

two Breitlings, all were preassure tested, service, new gasgets, mine had a new post and deep clean as the last time my old man got it serviced was 25yrs ago, and the

gasket had turned to powder within the watch.

The turnaround for all those watches was 9 days!

If you want your watch servicing or fixing then let us know, its a proper pro job, and I think if you bank on it all being turned around within 2-3 weeks (if your outside the UK)

then you cant go far wrong......as I said, he sorted ours out in 9 days and its back on my wrist.

We are more than happy to help, if you post Bibbs your details, he will run you through the proceedure, its nice and simple.

Servicing

Cleaning

New movements

Regulating

Preassure testing

Repair's to crystal, plastic, pins, hands whatever.

I'm over the moon with mine and he is very reasonable with prices too.

Guys - very interesting thread - keep it up to date please as I'd like some work done and I'm sure there's plenty of work in the UK for those who can do it or who can "organise" it.

I've 2 watches here I'd like serviced for a reasonable price, and as soon as luming is available, I've got a few more I'd like worked on.

So post your experiences here so we can benefit. I'm happy to pay a "middle man" a few quid if I know I'll get the work done well.

Thanks

We are more than happy to help, if you post Bibbs your details, he will run you through the proceedure, its nice and simple.

Yup, happy to help :)

Drop me a PM with the details, and we can get the ball rolling.

Very happy with mine. some of the prices I've been quoted elsewhere are more than the price of the watch.

Ben.

Tom, please re-lume!!!

we need an EU based re-lumer...

some people are just not comfortable with sending watches (outside of EU) oversea for services and re-lumes

You've got one. "The new guy" (see puggsy's post above) does lume. From the sounds of it there's not much he can't do. If anyone's tried him out yet how about sharing? And if not, somone's gotta bite the bullet. A simple relume would be a good try out. A Pam would be better :)

Col.

I'm dropping off a de ville omega to him and a poljot aviator (bought them on eBay) he will be working

his thing with those on Friday.

Will be a few more to add to my collection!

Anyone else wants a grade A service feel free to tap

us up! more than happy to help all those in the UK or EU :)

You've got one. "The new guy" (see puggsy's post above) does lume. From the sounds of it there's not much he can't do. If anyone's tried him out yet how about sharing? And if not, somone's gotta bite the bullet. A simple relume would be a good try out. A Pam would be better :)

Col.

I posted my Blackbird to him for a relume the other week when i was out of country, i will keep you all informed

Tom Highway takes AGES to reply, and I mean AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES!

I'm VERY luck that I tracked down a retired Clockmaker who works from his workshop in his home, he is in his late 60's, had all the lathes to make his own parts and movements and has a personal collection of 1000's of watches.

Hes has draws and draws of ETA's, all the kit you would imagine a watchmaker to have, and a very very nice calm manner about him.

He services Gen Rolex's Omegas and your run of the mill quartz movements.

I kinda stumbled across him and will be taking my Omega down for a service this week, along with my Rolex to get him to put another ETA movement in there. He will be Fixing Dr Tub's Rolex which he took apart lol

This old fella kinda lives in the stone age!....works by reputation only, and has made my day as he is only a 40mile round trip for me.

The big bonus is him not charging silly prices, and I can drop stuff off by hand and be happy in the knowledge I'm not being ripped off.

Because of his Age, and the fact he gets lots of local buisness he is not interested in recieving posted items, and the hassle of sending things off

messing about with internet payments, its easier for him to have people physically take things to him, and them collect and pay cash on collection.

I was pointed to this thread by a concerned member...

And after reading through it I too had a hair or two stand up on my neck...

Now Steve, please do your best not to take this personal...

But...

• Your a brand new member
  • You come out of the gate dissing a long-term member/modder
  • You have this miraculous watchmaker that no ones ever heard of
  • He has THOUSANDS of movements
  • Won't take posts or deal with the internet
  • So you'll be happy to oblige our EU members by handling their pieces for them

Sorry, but this is way to easy of a setup...

You either give up the guys name, address, and phone number to be verified, or game over...

Like I said, sorry, but we ain't allowing this type of risk to rear it's head...

TT

A clockmaker is NOT a watchmaker. The two are completely different trades.

My mentor was a watchmaker for over 60 years, and he didn't have 1000's of watches, like most watchmakers he had a few cabinets of spare parts, but not 1000's of movements.

It does amaze me that this fellow was able to service a A7750 without any noted difficulties. The A7750 is a very specialized movement and it does take a lot of skill to service, the Asian 7750 has a number of quirks and problems that need correcting and repairing when being serviced. I find it a bit odd that not only was he able to service a very challenging movement, but didn't run into or report of any difficulties. The problems I am referring to are defects that must be corrected, since ETA parts don't fit the Asian models...

RG

Well, the Admin Team has done further due diligence...

And...

We're not going to allow this little enterprise between Bibbs & Steveo to unfold...

We have zero desire for middle men to stand in the balance of our memberships Watches and money...

Way to many potential pit falls and opportunities for integrity failures...

Sorry gents...

Ain't playin'

Stops right here and now...

This is your one and only warning...

TwoTone

A clockmaker is NOT a watchmaker. The two are completely different trades.

My mentor was a watchmaker for over 60 years, and he didn't have 1000's of watches, like most watchmakers he had a few cabinets of spare parts, but not 1000's of movements.

It does amaze me that this fellow was able to service a A7750 without any noted difficulties. The A7750 is a very specialized movement and it does take a lot of skill to service, the Asian 7750 has a number of quirks and problems that need correcting and repairing when being serviced. I find it a bit odd that not only was he able to service a very challenging movement, but didn't run into or report of any difficulties. The problems I am referring to are defects that must be corrected, since ETA parts don't fit the Asian models...

RG

Wow!

A certain Mod DID say this might happen!

That's fine guys, I totally understand your

concern :)

Just trying to help out that was all.

We may be new here, and we both in professional

jobs.

Bibbs has already confirmed his watches are better

and running nicer/more quiet, and I know the

uk and EU guys struggle with finding reliable servicing.

No offence taken, just dissapointed as we were not doing

it to make any money, in fact our plan was to help people

out in a time when people seem reluctant to help eachother!

In fact if anything we would have been losing out slightly.

I am not willing to give out his address and phone numbers

as explained, the reason being his work takes place at his work

shop at his home, he does this as a hobby (as The Zigmeister does) and

as we know finding a someone to carry out work is very hard

indeed, I came across him via a friend, and cleared this extra

work with him before offering to help others.

I'm not going to give him any cause to think that dealing with

me is complicated or that I have given out his private details.

He DOES have 1000's of watches in his collection, and I dare say

he uses them for spares when fixing movements too, I have to say

I actually feel a bit sick that some people think there is something

odd happening here, specially when we are going out of our way to

help.

Its a bit of a slap in the face really :(

I was pointed to this thread by a concerned member...

And after reading through it I too had a hair or two stand up on my neck...

Now Steve, please do your best not to take this personal...

But...

• Your a brand new member
  • You come out of the gate dissing a long-term member/modder
  • You have this miraculous watchmaker that no ones ever heard of
  • He has THOUSANDS of movements
  • Won't take posts or deal with the internet
  • So you'll be happy to oblige our EU members by handling their pieces for them

Sorry, but this is way to easy of a setup...

You either give up the guys name, address, and phone number to be verified, or game over...

Like I said, sorry, but we ain't allowing this type of risk to rear it's head...

TT

With regards to "dissing" a long term member........I never dissed anyone!, I told the truth, and other on here

said the same thing regarding time taken to reply.....just gave my opinion, inface I gave that opinion before I

had even offered to help people here, so its not like it was done to get buisness or steer people away from other

service stations!

Its not "game over" either, I see it more like the members here that are in the UK will just have to be limited to the two

options available to them.......it makes my life a lot easier thats for sure, will think twice about going out of my way

to help people in the future. :mellow:

This is a real shame for a lot of you guys in regards to pricing

and service.

Time here is also not a reason to push our offer away as other

people offering a service have been here even less time!

As I said, no offence taken, we are all trying to do the same thing here,

And that's look after our members.

S

Hey guys,

No worries.

I was just looking to find someone I trust, and as Steve was local to me, we got chatting and said he knew someone who would do the work.

When the work was done well, I thought we'd be able to help other members out.

I totally understand that we are both "new" to the forum, and that protecting members cash and watches is a priority.

The plan was for me to post up my ebay login etc. to show people we are genuine and not some fly by night cowboys.

Sorry if it's caused offence.

No hard feelings?

Ben.

Hey guys,

No worries.

I was just looking to find someone I trust, and as Steve was local to me, we got chatting and said he knew someone who would do the work.

When the work was done well, I thought we'd be able to help other members out.

I totally understand that we are both "new" to the forum, and that protecting members cash and watches is a priority.

The plan was for me to post up my ebay login etc. to show people we are genuine and not some fly by night cowboys.

Sorry if it's caused offence.

No hard feelings?

Ben.

Absolutly, well said mate.

I dont want to offend anyone, I will continue to use him and continue to spend time here with you fine fellows.

Sure as hell don't want people thinking we are in any way "shady" or not trustworthy.

:)

Can I suggest that you approach the Admin or one of the Co-Admins with all your credentials.

Our number one priority will always be to protect our members.

Ken

I will be happy to give you my credentials, am sure bibbs will do the same, can supply plenty

of info for a mod to look into so long as its kept private and they vouch for us.

I will vouch for my contact the same way the mods can vouch for us, so if a mod would like to

PM me and I will give them whatever they like.

:)

Well, the Admin Team has done further due diligence...

And...

We're not going to allow this little enterprise between Bibbs & Steveo to unfold...

We have zero desire for middle men to stand in the balance of our memberships Watches and money...

Way to many potential pit falls and opportunities for integrity failures...

Sorry gents...

Ain't playin'

Stops right here and now...

This is your one and only warning...

TwoTone

You have jumped the gun a little fast here TT, we are all "Middle Men" in a way.......all the dealers here

are middle men, they buy the watches from the sources then sell them here and on line and take their cut!

We are doing the same but the difference is, we are not in it for the the money!

I have sent you a long PM and offered you all that you could ever need about my job, personal life, my

home numbers, Ebay account, and everything else, get back to me so I can send it to you.

There is absoluly no reason for this servicing thing to be limited to a few on here, this site is for people

who love watches, its not a buisness enterprise, or a contest, its about the members at the end of the day

and so help us to help them, specially the ones in the EU and the UK.

Ken.

Will Pm you bud, have also pm'd TT as I'm not keen on the suggested idea

we are out to sting anyone!!!

That's the last thing we want to do.

I can see how it looks to some people and respect the fact your looking out

for the members here.

Hopefully you mods will see this and post back to say we are the nice guys :)

Please can TT get back to me, so we can move forward and help people.

Have a good weekend guys,

S

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Well after much looking about on here and chewing over the prices,

I'm sticking with my face to face watchmaker, he just gets more and more

interesting, he will deal with others through myself.

I have checked out the best prices on here and found him to be the best

by a mile. So as much as I might regret it, if anyone is struggling and

needs a watch servicing/repairing will be more than happy to help

(in small numbers subject to another member here being happy with the quality

of the work being carried out)

I dropped 5 off to him today, two Breitlings A7750's, a Gen Omega, a

vintage chrono and my Euromariner ETA.

I am in the uk, he is very trustworthy.

All watches will be stripped to their underpants and moving parts and then lovingly

cleaned, lubricated then put back together, sprinkled with fairy dust & blessed

with long life......then sent back at warp speed 9 :)

Greetings,

You still in touch with the Wathmaker.

Can he repair a Panerai Radiomir Black Seal? Fully wound but movement has stopped.

Thanks.