When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patches: RIP

TeeJay

I just found my wife's guinea pig, Patches, dead in her hutch. Absolutely no reason as to why, it appears that she simply lay down and 'stopped'.

She was a wonderful guinea, with a personality and friendliness way above our other guineas. We adopted her when she had been found in someone's back garden, and gave her the best life we could.

When we first got her:

83bef1dc.jpg

Always getting into mischief:

DSCN2844.jpg

IMGP0803.jpg

Right up to the end, she was happy, friendly, and full of character. Even though she was my wife's guinea, she really was 'Daddy's Girl'.

Sweet dreams.

Condolences. Think of him happily squeaking away to his his little heart's content in guinea-pig heaven.

But why not just tell your wife it escaped, and stop by the pet shop tomorrow? ;)

Or alternatively, save yourself future heartache and buy a pet that isn't plagued with an unfortunate genetic predisposition to dropping down dead. They're notorious for it, according to a vet friend of mine.

What separates humans from the rest of all life is our empathy for other creatures.

Now that isn't strictly true Euno. Many a case of animals saved by other species (humans rescued from shark attacks by dolphins) and even reared by other species (weirdest one I read was a tigress rearing a litter of piglets.....although they had to dress them in tiger skin coats just to be safe :D)

Sorry to hear that buddy. :(

Also sorry the wife is going to blame you when she gets home. :o

Ken

Thanks, amigo, luckily, I was able to tell her right away, as it's just passed midnight here, and I literally only found Patches a few moments before making the post, and to be honest, she's taking it better than me. I hope all's well with you, I've noticed you've made posts to your section, so guessing you're back working? If so, I'll likely be putting in an order soon :)

Condolences. Think of him happily squeaking away to his his little heart's content in guinea-pig heaven.

But why not just tell your wife it escaped, and stop by the pet shop tomorrow? ;)

Or alternatively, save yourself future heartache and buy a pet that isn't plagued with an unfortunate genetic predisposition to dropping down dead. They're notorious for it, according to a vet friend of mine.

Thanks, and indeed, I'm sure she's already acquainted herself with my first two guineas, Scampi and Chips, who passed about fifteen years ago.

I think what we'll do, is adopt another after Christmas, so we can give another guinea a home, and it'd be a shame to let Patches' hutch go to waste, if there's an unwanted guinea in need of a good home :)

Sorry about the bad news.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but here is an example of one species caring for another (and will hopefully cheer people up):

Thanks :) Indeed, I don't think there's anything as heart-warming as when one animal helps another :)

Sorry to hear the bad news TJ.

Thanks for the kind words, bro :)

Last night was a bit hectic, as it was too late for us to do anything, but, as it was so cold, we knew we could leave Patches in her hutch over night without anything untoward happening, so this morning we put her in a Kurt Geiger shoe box, and buried her next to the cat who died a few months back. We've still no idea why she died... Sometimes people just die... Sudden adult/infant death syndrome, I believe they call it... I guess this was just the guinea equivalent. She's at rest now, so all is as well as can be :)