When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyway to tell if this is a real seamaster?

007omega

I am no pro - but the lume on the 5 & 7 markers does not appear to be centered on their background dot.

I can't think for one minute that Omega would let that through the door.

You'd be surprised! I've seen IWC, and Rolex's with much worse QC than that :) There is a post recently about the Big Ingy missing a lume strip floating around here somewhere too.

He wants 700 for it... I guess i should offer him 600. How much could i get a 007 limited edition seamaster for used? That's what i realllly want

Is that USD? 600USD would be my maximum, I think you could haggle him lower. Which version of the ltd ed are you after, the newer 2226.80 with Co-axial movement is quite expensive!

I am no pro - but the lume on the 5 & 7 markers does not appear to be centered on their background dot.

I can't think for one minute that Omega would let that through the door.

I once saw an SMP in an AD such had two visibly noticeable flaws in the finish of the bezel insert. One was a scratch, the other, was a raised line, almost like a hair under clingfilm... Even gen watches can have QC flaws...

Are you sure you want it at any price? My point is I'm certain that once you get more and more into collecting I'll bet you eventually wouldn't really want to own a quartz watch from any brand. If you want an Omega, even a Seamaster specifically, there are tons of other variants rep and gen that you will be satisfied with for a lifetime.

Take this advice who learned the hard way. Don't buy ANY gen you are on the fence about. Your first instinct is telling you that a compromise is afoot. That is what reps are for as the learning experience is cheap. If you buy any gen make sure you love it and until you are sure don't bother...

He wants 700 for it... I guess i should offer him 600. How much could i get a 007 limited edition seamaster for used? That's what i realllly want

Does this sound sketchy? Here was his response when i asked for the SN number. I told him i had a buddy at omega who was going to verify the SN number to make sure it's authentic

this one was bought from a grey dealer and so the serial is wipped out. I guess the original dealer didnt want the watch going around grey market under there dealer name. If you do research some omega dont have serials.

I totally understand if your unsure of the watch. But again, I guarantee 100%. if you really want, I open the caseback with my username and date on a piece of paper with a pic of the omega movement. But let me know if your still interested as I dont want to open the back unless you are sure.

I always wanted this watch (even since goldeneye) and don't thin ki would mind the fact that it's not automatic.... But he said he is firm on the 700

Does this sound sketchy? [...] But he said he is firm on the 700

That sounds plausible. And yes, I'd pay 700 Chilean Pesos or even 700 Hungarian Fornits.

If it is, as you seem to be refusing to acknowledge, 700 US Dollars, walk away. Grey market watches don't hold their resale value.

Does this sound sketchy? Here was his response when i asked for the SN number. I told him i had a buddy at omega who was going to verify the SN number to make sure it's authentic

I always wanted this watch (even since goldeneye) and don't thin ki would mind the fact that it's not automatic.... But he said he is firm on the 700

This is perfectly true of grey market reps, so don't worry about that, however, it does mean the value is less, and therefore I would not be paying 700 potato chips, wotsits, or whatever currency you are talking about (presuming USD).

That sounds plausible. And yes, I'd pay 700 Chilean Pesos or even 700 Hungarian Fornits.

If it is, as you seem to be refusing to acknowledge, 700 US Dollars, walk away. Grey market watches don't hold their resale value.

Exactly, resale value of a grey market, especially without papers or box is very low. As Pug has said walk away from this one.

Are you sure you want it at any price? My point is I'm certain that once you get more and more into collecting I'll bet you eventually wouldn't really want to own a quartz watch from any brand. If you want an Omega, even a Seamaster specifically, there are tons of other variants rep and gen that you will be satisfied with for a lifetime.

Take this advice who learned the hard way. Don't buy ANY gen you are on the fence about. Your first instinct is telling you that a compromise is afoot. That is what reps are for as the learning experience is cheap. If you buy any gen make sure you love it and until you are sure don't bother...

The best advice about purchasing a rep, if you want it buy it, if you're not 100% sure, then you need to wait before you purchase it. Flipping gen watches can get costly.

Thanks for everyone's help. Yes it's US dollars and he wants 700 of them :(

When you are saying "reps" are you saying that this might not be 100% authentic and originally made by omega. Assuming i walk away, anyone know where I could pik up a reasonably priced seamaster (maybe an automatic)

The best advice about purchasing a rep, if you want it buy it, if you're not 100% sure, then you need to wait before you purchase it. Flipping gen watches can get costly.

My mistake, thats meant to read..... 'about purchasing a gen'

Try Timezone, or Ebay for some bargains at the moment.

Even though somebody wrote already that you might not like a quartz in the long run, I have to emphasize that. Even an ETA Swiss quartz movement costs only about $20 for plain date and about $50 for a chrono version. I just cannot see why such a watch should retail for around $2000 - I would go with a rep auto any day.

BTW the best way to tell a gen SMP is to ask if the links are flexible in the middle, all the reps have one piece links.

Even though somebody wrote already that you might not like a quartz in the long run, I have to emphasize that. Even an ETA Swiss quartz movement costs only about $20 for plain date and about $50 for a chrono version. I just cannot see why such a watch should retail for around $2000 - I would go with a rep auto any day.

BTW the best way to tell a gen SMP is to ask if the links are flexible in the middle, all the reps have one piece links.

That should be 'all the low-end reps have one piece links' ;)

This is a rep... 9 piece links...

DSCN0380.jpg