When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iphone

edgematic

You're missing one point: Tax is due on the item. You can reclaim it later, but it is due now.

It's more like the hobo paying your toll fee across a bridge for you then claiming it off you, if you insist on the hobo analogy.

If you're hoping it sneaks through customs, you're gaming the system and as such should expect to have to pay what you owe once in a while.

I know that tax is due on the item, that is not my point. My point, is that HMC are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to applying that tax to begin with. If they were to apply it to each and every parcel (as they should), then fine, but the fact is, they do not. That is what makes it unfair, because it means that the people who are paying [the due] tax, are being singled out, compared to all the other parcels which do not get taxed. That is my primary beef: The inequity of the system. My secondary beef, is that Parcel Force as a company, are taking it upon themselves to pay that tax 'on the buyer's behalf', only to claim it back later (which is fair enough) However. My point there, is that if the person decides to forfeit the parcel and refuse to pay the tax, HMC send it back. If someone was to try and do that once the release fee had been paid by Parcel Force, then, given the petty bureaucracy of the British Isles, it would not surprise me one bit of Parcel Force were then to pursue the buyer for the cost which they chose to lay out (in the hopes of recouping) of the release fees. That's what gets me. If it was just a case of dealing with HMC, it would be a case of "yes or no", "pay or not pay", "get parcel/lose parcel". Parcel Force's involvement throws those options, as if the person does not act swiftly in telling HMC to shove it and return the parcel, then Parcel Force step in, and the buyer then finds themselves indebted to Parcel Force for paying the release fee 'on their behalf'...

wheresbeef.jpg

;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that tax is due on the item, that is not my point. My point, is that HMC are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to applying that tax to begin with. If they were to apply it to each and every parcel (as they should), then fine, but the fact is, they do not. That is what makes it unfair, because it means that the people who are paying [the due] tax, are being singled out, compared to all the other parcels which do not get taxed. That is my primary beef: The inequity of the system. My secondary beef, is that Parcel Force as a company, are taking it upon themselves to pay that tax 'on their behalf'...

You're complaining because you're not always lucky. Carry on though; It sounds really funny and reminds me of my childhood days in primary school when Mark got a larger slice of pie than Joe and the tears about injustice started. Ah, good times. :)

You're complaining because you're not always lucky. Carry on though; It sounds really funny and reminds me of my childhood days in primary school when Mark got a larger slice of pie than Joe and the tears about injustice started. Ah, good times. :)

Oh really? :lol:

Read back, my friend, I've only ever been stung twice by customs charges, in over a decade of buying goods online and from abroad. It's probably less than 1% of my transactions, so no, I'm not complaining because I have been stung, I'm complaining because the system is unfair and indiscriminately applied ;)That's my beef ;)

Oh really? :lol:

Read back, my friend, I've only ever been stung twice by customs charges, in over a decade of buying goods online and from abroad. It's probably less than 1% of my transactions, so no, I'm not complaining because I have been stung, I'm complaining because the system is unfair and indiscriminately applied ;)That's my beef ;)

You're complaining because some get through? ;)

Would you prefer they got it right every time? Our hobby would be dead if customs was 100% efficient.

You're complaining because some get through? ;)

:lol:

Ish.

I'm complaining because most get through, and it's just the few who get stopped. Not because they get caught, or because the charges are applied, but because the charges and fees are applied indiscriminately :lol:

Would you prefer they got it right every time? Our hobby would be dead if customs was 100% efficient.

I'm sure folks would still find a way to get watches through :lol: It worked in Pulp Fiction ;)

Well, I hope I will be one of the lucky guys who doesn't need to pay taxes... But I doubt about that...

My customs declaration dispatch note says it is a cell phone that has been sent as a gift. Though the cell phone is about $250 so I don't think they will let it trough without any taxes...

But I keep on hoping!

Anyone who knows if USPS is reliable? They say postage takes 3-5 days

I'll load up some pics of the phone when I get it.

hehe, I meant reliable when we talk about their shipping time. (I'm no english language king, when I read my last post I understand your answers! but hey, it's early in the morning guys!)

Their shipping time is good as well :) I've always found the USPS to be very reliable and punctual :)

Damn customs! My iphone has been in customs since monday, tried calling them everyday, no one picks up. Sent them an e-mail and they say someone else will help me. Customs in Belgium are slow man, I really mean SLOW!

I've searched on the net and some people had to wait a month before it got out of customs, others had to wait 2 weeks, etc. It seems it had no sense sending it with USPS Express Mail international (3-5 days)...

regards!

Damn customs! My iphone has been in customs since monday...

@Edgematic

Wish you good luck with customs "service"!

I hope you didnt forget about ordering the

new 3G adaptor for your i-phone with flexible

memory expansion up to 40GB ;)

But ill tell ya... the adaptor hurts a lot!! ;):D

iPhonevibrator.jpg

KatiePricecellphone.jpg

goodvibrations.jpg

Sorry... just couldnt restrain lol

George

• 2 weeks later...

Iphone out of customs.

fees: 75 Euros

Glad it's finally on it's way to me... But I will never ever use USPS again. Used express mail international what should take 3-5 days, it's been 2 weeks now...

Contacted customs, and they said I can expect it next Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have paid a total of +- 260 Euros.

good deal I think...

Iphone out of customs.

Glad it's finally on it's way to me... But I will never ever use USPS again. Used express mail international what should take 3-5 days, it's been 2 weeks now...

Contacted customs, and they said I can expect it next Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

good deal I think...

Glad to hear it's free of the minions of orthodoxy, I hope you'll be pleased with it :good:

Iphone out of customs.

good deal I think...

Good deal my a$$, you bought a 4GB iPhone for 260Euros, thats not a good deal.

I'm sorry to say this, but "I TOLD YOU SO", next time try listening to what others tell you instead of being a goddamn smarta$$.

I wonder if you also call it a good deal when you hook up with a 300$ prostitute and find out that "(s)he" has a c0ck!

edit: checking the exchange rates, 250$ back when you bought it was around 195Euros, Adding 75 for Customs you are already at 270Euros and you do not have shipping included. So the correct price you paid is probably more like around 300Euros. Very good deal, indeed, for a 4GB iPhone that sold for 300$ 2 years ago (which was 185Euros back then)

Edited by slay

Good deal my a$$, you bought a 4GB iPhone for 260Euros, thats not a good deal.

I'm sorry to say this, but "I TOLD YOU SO", next time try listening to what others tell you instead of being a goddamn smarta$$.

I wonder if you also call it a good deal when you hook up with a 300$ prostitute and find out that "(s)he" has a c0ck!

edit: checking the exchange rates, 250$ back when you bought it was around 195Euros, Adding 75 for Customs you are already at 270Euros and you do not have shipping included. So the correct price you paid is probably more like around 300Euros. Very good deal, indeed, for a 4GB iPhone that sold for 300$ 2 years ago (which was 185Euros back then)

+1

you paid way too much......i cant believe for the money you spent that you could not have found an 8gb iphone for circa 300 euros on ebay.....didnt slay offer you his for +-300?

Edited by steppen

try listening to what others tell you instead of being a goddamn smarta$$.

edit: checking the exchange rates, 250$ back when you bought it was around 195Euros, Adding 75 for Customs you are already at 270Euros and you do not have shipping included.

I think everybody is free to buy what they want... It's not about being a smarta$$. To be precisely it was