When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

submariner bracelet

Maxfly

Is the actual weight of a gen Rolex bracelet heavier than a rep? If a compare a gen sub with for example a wm9 you can feel the difference in weight.

The weight of the watch is most of the times the give away.

Is this because Rolex uses different steel i.e 904l instead of 316l?

Actaully, heaviness is quite a misnomer I believe.

The old wm9's had solid midlinks if I recall correctly, whereas the gen's and noob bracelets have hollow midlinks. Currently, the new wm9's are using the correct hollow midlinks.

So, if anything, i would have thought the older WM9's would have felt heavier than the gens.

I have handled gen subs and my impressions are that they are not any heavier than a decent rep.

Rolex has been using hollow steel midlinks on their oyster bracelets for quite some time.

Wich one do You mean is heavier ?

The WM9 bracelet should be heavier because it has solid midlinks.

And Rolex has now after 25 years done a GOOD bracelet and clasp ( on almost ALL their watches but NOT for the Submariner, but the new sub will of course have it ! ) , I mean the original bracelet for a rolex is so bad when it comes to "feeling" because it is NOT so solid sounds so cheap when moving Your wrist fast !

It works OK BUT the quality of it is so LOW if You for example look on the IWC braclets where the bracelet IS a WORK OF ART !

I like the braclet on my WM9 MORE the on on genuine Seadweller !

Is the actual weight of a gen Rolex bracelet heavier than a rep? If a compare a gen sub with for example a wm9 you can feel the difference in weight.

The weight of the watch is most of the times the give away.

Is this because Rolex uses different steel i.e 904l instead of 316l?

It works OK BUT the quality of it is so LOW if You for example look on the IWC braclets where the bracelet IS a WORK OF ART !

Solid midlinks will be heavier. It's been discussed in the past that people sometimes put the INACCURATE solid midlink bracelet on the SD's/Subs because it felt more solid due to the increased mass. Real Rollies are quite light...except for the solid gold ones or the new Deep Sea.

The feel of the finish of a gen one is what stands out. They feel more fluid and well finished...hard to describe unless you've handled one. You can get close to the feeling with the oiling, and buffing down the sharper edges.

I agree with Toadtorrent that "They feel more fluid and well finished" I am not an expert but can feel with my eyes closed the difference between a gen and a rep. Have you noticed that a gen "sounds" different? When you "rinkle" the bracelet it sounds different then a rep.

I now it sounds crasy but i have a gen 16610 and a wm9 in front of me. I did a couple of blind tests with my wife and doughter and appart from weight they could hear the difference. When looking at the watch the shine of the gen is different, more bright and reflecting.

Wich one do You mean is heavier ?

The WM9 bracelet should be heavier because it has solid midlinks.

And Rolex has now after 25 years done a GOOD bracelet and clasp ( on almost ALL their watches but NOT for the Submariner, but the new sub will of course have it ! ) , I mean the original bracelet for a rolex is so bad when it comes to "feeling" because it is NOT so solid sounds so cheap when moving Your wrist fast !

The original gen hollow link bracelet with fliplock buckle is a thing of beauty.

It remains true to its original design brief ie. to be as strong as possible and as light as possible.

A true 'tool watch' and a classic.

It was never meant to be sold for megabucks to be worn as a dress watch. Its was a workers watch.

snip The gen bracelets feel cheap and flimsy. snip

To say it feels cheap demonstrates a misunderstanding of the bracelet design and original intended purpose. It is also far from flimsy, quite the opposite in fact.

The watch wears nice and light on the wrist, the fliplock never pops open, and the case never leaks or corrodes. It's made for a tough working environment where having a heavy watch on your wrist is not an advantage.

To say it feels cheap demonstrates a misunderstanding of the bracelet design and original intended purpose. It is also far from flimsy, quite the opposite in fact.

The watch wears nice and light on the wrist, the fliplock never pops open, and the case never leaks or corrodes. It's made for a tough working environment where having a heavy watch on your wrist is not an advantage.

I agree whit you 100%

Also, the weight :o

A hollow gen and a hollow say noob bracelet: a couple of grams.

A hollow gen and a solid mid rep: 5 grams if I remember well.

I think the weight remark "oh, too light, must be a rep" comes from a legend.

I wonder who's able to feel the difference of 5 grams between two watches without having both in hand :D

Granted to most a real sub bracelet seems cheap and flimsy and if I personally had a modern sub I'd be annoyed at the bracelet as the Sub has evolved from a tool watch to a fashion piece, but I wouldn't have anything else for my 1982 Gen 5513.

Wouldn't be the same to have a solid bracelet with SEL's on it.

A gen 5513 with 93150 bracelt is very light and comfortable to wear. IF you fit the endlinks properly you get very little rattling noise out of them as the parts that rattle are the actual links and your wrist helps to diminish the sound of them.