When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea

lanikai

some dirty pics up shortly.. :D ... gotta get some anticipation going !! after all it only took over a week to arrive.. B)

please excuse the calouses side effect of the weights.. but I am pleased so far.. yes, the font on the insert is thinner..jus a bit .. upon closer shots it is not that much different..

Genuine

5411ao8.jpg

deepsearolex001ag2.jpg

14084489dw9.jpg

76598585is8.jpg

15759459iu1.jpg

deepsearolex012ry1.jpg

18256785eg5.jpg

86051903ug4.jpg

70845648wm2.jpg

added 12/17/08 7:15 pm

Ok I am getting the lume shots up before finishing the review.. actually I just got done with the macro's,.. very revealing in a good way.. but, so no one goes "Hungry".. Lume.. away

Blue Eye's ... baby's got Blue Eye's.. blue eye's crying in the rain.. :whistling:

Yes.. gentlemen.. it is blue.. but I will attempt to explain the charging aspect of the colours..

This is under 1 second exposure time.. the colours have not been enhanced as you can see by the surrounding colours on the case.. I actually added some orange so not to make the image too "vivid" .. no slight of hand hea.. B) .. it is what it is..

deepsearolex088sa8.jpg

deepsearolex093vd3.jpg

deepsearolex091vm3.jpg

OK.. the lume is a gorgeous Blue !!.. however.. this is the synopsis :.. yesterday when I first opened the box.. my first thought was of course the lume.. so I exposed it to indirect sunlight.. and saw a faint hint of blue.. "great"..

Last night while getting ready to sleep I took a halogen flash light and pressed it up against the dial.. BAM..... GREEN.. WTF... I know I saw blue today .. I tell myself :huh:

then watching it .. slowly turn aqua.. then blue ... did it again.. and again bright green then slowly turn blue.. this time the hands were blue the whole time .. Ok .. thinking out loud... there is green in the colour blue.. so the lume must be bringing out the green .. maybe it's the way the combined the lume.. dunno.. today whilst driving home.. again indirect sunlight.. entered the Pali Tunnel.. ahhhhh... smile.. smile.. blue all the way..

So my theory is .. simple.. it needs charging for a couple of day's after it is out of the dark cave of a box.. don't freak out.. the green in the blue will show.. and when the lume is all ready.. the blue will be dominant..am I making any sense ?? B)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very nice. Inspected a gen at the AD today (they had 2 in stock, amusing conidering the snooty saleslady told me in July that there was little chance I would make it to the top of the wait list until 2009. Looks the collapse of the world economy is the long lost key unlocking the pleasantness in the hearts of snooty luxury goods sales help.) From lani's pics the main differences appear to be the previously mentioned font thickness, which is no dealbreaker. What is a dealbreaker for me--unless it's just the pics--is the rep's dramatically less domed xtal. If the xtal is in fact as "undomed" here's to a real version 3.

Anyone know if the serial #'s are randomised?

These are just fast pics.. it has been a crazy week here with the flooding throughout the State.. so without making excuses.. this is NOT the review .. it's just pics.. I have to get the macro pics .. there are a lot of good things going on with this rep.. that need better lighting and pics.. but I need a full day..

And the crystal is domed .. I will have to get it under proper lighting.. the crystal is so thick it makes it difficult with all the reflection .. it is a very heavy watch

and the Lume... the colour is that of Hawaii's sky without clouds.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

and yes, they nailed the clasp..

deepsearolex015za3.jpg

mjmurphy926 Posted Today, 03:48 PM

Nice work as usual Lani.

The watch looks very nice and I may get one, but something just doesn't look right with the printing on the rehaut. It's not just these pics, I've thought that on all the pics I've seen of this watch.

if you are talking about the "Rolex" engraving.. it is very faint.. and you can barely make it out in this pic.. as I will repeat.. I need to do macro's and the pictorial review.. the engraving is finally more to the genuine.. not as obtuse as the other attempts .. you really have to look hard and at different angles to see it.. this crystal is a thick motha.. like the Breitling SA..

@archie ... when I went to view the GMTCII the lady told me she had "1" left... :rolleyes: .. I told her she had better order more.. since she told me the "kids" from Japan buy them like candy.... sales pitches are Universal.. B)

Nice pics Lani. How is the crystal on the watch? Apart from the bezel numbers....is there any other obvious tell that it's a rep?

Waiting for your review :p

Cheers

thanks Samu.. but I rushed these pics... we are expecting more storms .. and we are still drying out from the last record flooding..

I have not had a chance to compare it to all the genuine pics I have collected.. I cannot make it a habit to visit the AD.. I will take the macros and then find time to compare..

the lume is Blue however if you look at the genuine pics the lume (when not charged) looks opaque .. like an Opal gemstone.. where as the rep dosen't have the 'opalensence'.. (when not charged)

but you have to put your face right up to the genuine to notice that..

other than that I will have to "sit" with it for awhile

I'll try for tomorrow.. as I am taking off from the gym ..only cardio ... stretching and abs tomorrow anyway.. B)

Could it be that they actually engraved & properly spaced the rehaut advertising.......er, I mean lettering? Or is it just an odd reflection in your picture? If so, I am duly impressed.

Too bad they continue to get the font for the 'O' in ROLEX wrong. :rolleyes:

Freddy .. it looks like the best engraving to date.. finally.. not as obtuse and rude.. as previously done .. but again I will take macros of this issue.. as I am not going to presume I know more than you ma man !! but be ready to comment .. this is your area of perfection... as they say.. "perfectionist go through great pains.. and pass it on to others"... :) .. joking about that line.. but you can comment after I get proper pics up .. as this is a "dissapearing engraving"...

For those who are really interested in the "domed" crystal.. if you are refferring to the Honpo pics or the Rolex web site pics.. the dark lighting in the pics makes it look much more domed that it actually is.. in fact I think they nailed the crystal on the rep.. as this genuine pic from the side angle is the same look as the rep.. but I will try and replicate the sexy dim lighting .. I know what is attrative .. it's the "Curve" in the pics from the rolex site and the honpo pics .. like the curve in a Harley softail fender.. or the female anatomy .. B) .. love dem curves.. .. but the genuine is not super domed .. just a slight dome

Gen.

543va3.jpg

Rep.

76598585is8.jpg

I thought Honpo's version (as well as this new 1) got the crystal's curvature about correct. But I look forward to seeing your new pics so we can get a better idea.

let me clarify .. as American english is my second language to Local pidgin... B) notice I write in short bursts.... like we talk ova hea..

The honpo pics are done in a way to really accent the gradual dome.. it looks sweet !!.. it's all about the lighting.. as the crystal is so thick .. my pics outdoors .. it's very hard to see the curve on the surface .. it's like shooting water.. I need darker lighting and a darker backdrop.. :D

Thanks for the photos! I have one on the way and was wondering about a few things, especially the crystal dome. I think you are right on, the dome looks correct to me.

What do you think about how it wears on the wrist? Besides being heavy I'm curious how the balance is based on that narrow bracelet.

Cheers,

CM

:D

You will be pleased.. but remember this is Rolex' biggest watch to date .. (I know I will be corrected if wrong :)) and for the purpose of the "Deep Sea" it is very thick .. the case back rides high.. ergo the balance is not that of a dressier piece.. the ratchet adjustment is actually designed by Rolex.. so you can wear this over your dive suit.. then adjust it for your wrist coming out of the water .. so it is as you are wondering .. a little top heavy.. but having said that I have had it on for a couple hours now.. and although top heavy the rep balances well on the wrist..

this was meant to be a 'working watch".. IMO.. the end justifies the means.. B) .. again ... MO

You will be pleased.. but remember this is Rolex' biggest watch to date .. (I know I will be corrected if wrong :)) and for the purpose of the "Deep Sea" it is very thick .. the case back rides high.. ergo the balance is not that of a dressier piece.. the ratchet adjustment is actually designed by Rolex.. so you can wear this over your dive suit.. then adjust it for your wrist coming out of the water .. so it is as you are wondering .. a little top heavy.. but having said that I have had it on for a couple hours now.. and although top heavy the rep balances well on the wrist..

this was meant to be a 'working watch".. IMO.. the end justifies the means.. B) .. again ... MO

Thanks lanikai! I expect it to wear large but somehow the size and taper of the bracelet seems to be on the small size. I wondered if it felt REALLY top heavy.

So what do you guys think would be the actual percentage of these gens that ever make deeper than the pool at the Bellagio? 2%? 0.0002% ?

Thanks lanai! I expect it to wear large but somehow the size and taper of the bracelet seems to be on the small size. I wondered if it felt REALLY top heavy.

So what do you guys think would be the actual percentage of these gens that ever make deeper than the pool at the Bellagio? 2%? 0.0002% ?

Noticing that since the bracelet is good quality and the clasp is "solid" and thicker because of the ratchet mechanism, and the SELS are solid ,.. it balances very well.. good question btw.. :) .. I'm shaking it and it stays put even with it a little loose fitting.. I don't like to feel like I'm wearing hand cuffs, so I wear it so I can fit my pinky snug in between the clasp and my wrist.. :D

also another (crappy) pic .. not macro.. of the rehaut..

59614590dk5.jpg

Actually Lani, When I spoke of the rehaut engraving, I was talking of the "ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE" and "RING LOCK SYSTEM" engraving on the top of the rehaut. This pic kind of shows what I'm talking about. It looks like the engraving is too far toward the outer edge.

It seems like most of the straight on shots I've seen of GENs shows all the engraving unobstructed, but in most of pics I've seen of this version of the REP from the same angle, you don't see 100% of the engraving...I don't know if I'm explaining this very well...Am I making any sense?

Maybe it's just me...I don't know.

Actually Lani, When I spoke of the rehaut engraving, I was talking of the "ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE" and "RING LOCK SYSTEM" engraving on the top of the rehaut. This pic kind of shows what I'm talking about. It looks like the engraving is too far toward the outer edge.

It seems like most of the straight on shots I've seen of GENs shows all the engraving unobstructed, but in most of pics I've seen of this version of the REP from the same angle, you don't see 100% of the engraving...I don't know if I'm explaining this very well...Am I making any sense?

Maybe it's just me...I don't know.

it is a hair closer to the edge of the rehaut than the genuine.. but I expected some flaws along this line.. (I was hoping it was this rather than the engraving)

I believe there is a reason the maker "adds" .. very subtle .. flaws.. that really only we could point out .. or others who are as studied..

but 95% of the population (again IMO) ,.. will not notice this .. it's really not that bad in person.. looking straight on is ok..