When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea

lanikai

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awsome pic lani! Thanks for putting them up. Can you please fill me in on who you purhcased this from? Thanks.

thank you Z .. I got this from Joshua..

Joshua ~ Perfect

Andrew ~ trusty

King ~ Kings Watch

PT ~ Pure Time

These are the dealers that have the rep made from Genuine sample .. maybe down the road the secondary dealers will have them available

The Mentalist Posted Today, 06:50 AM

Hey Lani, did you you get this from Josh and what version did you ask for? With so many versions kicking around, the only turkey I want to be lumbered with this Xmas is the one on the dining table

Yes Zzzirrr .. Joshua.. but all the above dealers should have them

btw.. my old training partner (that we talked about) is back in the ring so to speak.. just got his pro~card back.. going for the Iron Man or Houston Show next year.. looks good.. mature muscle.. B)

eddit add:.. oops... it's the version made from the genuine as sample .. that's why I doubt there will be any other versions after this.. as only one maker holds the genuine

Samurai Posted Today, 06:40 AM

btw....does the V3 have any AR? Does the gen have AR?

Negative .. unless Rolex is doing something on the genuine that we discussed in the "mag" thread

and the D window is slightly tapered .. I will have to take the macros for you to determine how well the rep is..

Well well....good morning Lani. Now that you are awake and staying home due to the storm.....how about doing the review? :p

haha... I am at the Coffee Shop .. upstairs in ma private loft... B) .. the owner let's me in early.. it's 7am and I have already been at it since 12 am .. so although it's morning here.. it's really my afternoon.. now you know why I can be a little punchy when I get home ... taking my folks to our bi~weekly Lunch.. makes Mom Happy ... so I will start on the macro's today ... later... and I have to look at the genuine pics you pm'd me .. you are now a "contributor" to the review.. anyone else want to contibute to our second "community review" Mahler has the genuine measurements.. although he is indisposed ..

Storm is due to hit tomorrow.. but it will be business as usual in the tropical storm.. B)

I used to think they built in flaws purposely to give themselves. chinese government, etc some sort of bizarre "but it's different" plausible deniability or sell multiple versions to each collector. Now I believe there's a simpler explanation. Think of the dozens of little details we worry about. When you build an entire watch, probably with more than a few different people or subcontractors working on different parts you're bound to get variances between rep and gen. When the factories feel a variance is hurting sales (or causes a competing factory to believe they can sell more pieces) they fix it (blue lume on the DS). When our analness is too anal for them to worry about (# of teeth on PAM crowns) they don't.

BTW, Maybe youy have to see it in person but the Deep Sea rep Xtal looks about 60% of the height of the gens I've seen in person. Sadly, a deal breaker for me. Here's to version 3.

Points taken.. very valid :)

I am just going by the pics of the genuine.. hard to imagine it being 40% more domed .. I need to make it to tourneau (sic).. they just recently opened in Waikiki next to the Royal ... I cannot go to Ben Bridge to often .. things are definately changing when it comes to rolex Sales.. this thread explains why :)

Ok here is a pic from Samurai ... the rep looks very close to the apex of this.. but , as I stated earlier.. the crystal needs to be shot in low "background" lighting to get the proper outline of the dome .. the crytal on the rep does sit lower and is flush with the bezel though .. compared to this shot of the genuine.

dsc01316ku7.jpg

Another look at the gen

dsc01302qf2.jpg

the Rep

15759459iu1.jpg

Points taken.. very valid :)

I am just going by the pics of the genuine.. hard to imagine it being 40% more domed .. I need to make it to tourneau (sic).. they just recently opened in Waikiki next to the Royal ... I cannot go to Ben Bridge to often .. things are definately changing when it comes to rolex Sales.. this thread explains why :)

If you are ever on the big island in the near future, there is a Rolex store in the King Shops at Waikoloa that has several models on display in outside windows that are not visible from the inside. Most are on the side of the store where there is very little foot traffic. My son and I stood there for about 15 minutes comparing my SSD to a gen just inches away without ever having to deal with a salesman.

I wish we had a store like that here in Denver.

If you are ever on the big island in the near future, there is a Rolex store in the King Shops at Waikoloa that has several models on display in outside windows that are not visible from the inside. Most are on the side of the store where there is very little foot traffic. My son and I stood there for about 15 minutes comparing my SSD to a gen just inches away without ever having to deal with a salesman.

I wish we had a store like that here in Denver.

Used to be like that here.. but now these models are not even in the display case.. they are in locked cabinets.. and viewed upon request .. (they told me for counterfieters) .. imagine that .. no brochures are given out .. and the main BB store.. well , my friends wife works there and they are under Japan management.. and I don't want to compromise her job.,. when I do go there.. we have to make like we don't even know each other.. not something I am fond of acting out..

If I go to the Big Island one more time.. I'm not coming back.. I'll buy a parcel up by volcanoe.. or Mountain View .. water is by catchment.. won't come back to this city.. :D

Ok Ok, never say never.

I said I hate it when it was released and now it's growing on me ...shit. :angry:

Thanks Lani!

:lol:

. Same .. same ... I brushed it off when it first came out in the genuine .. but .. Wow.. "shit.. happen's".. that's very American S.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Will we see this piece on Stephanes wrist? :victory: ... only time will tell

I just broke down and decided I gotta have one. It's v3, right? If Lani has it and Stephane is thinking about it, well, that means I gotta have one too!

Cheers

PS. Mahalo & Salut from Euno!

Well, if Monsieur Euno is thinking that way, I'm afraid I'll go for it now. (oh my god) :shock:

By the way, good to see you Monsieur Euno ;)

Ok here is a pic from Samurai ... the rep looks very close to the apex of this.. but , as I stated earlier.. the crystal needs to be shot in low "background" lighting to get the proper outline of the dome .. the crytal on the rep does sit lower and is flush with the bezel though .. compared to this shot of the genuine.

This brings up a good point & 1 that is equally relevant to discussions of the GMTIIC. The crystal on gen modern Rolexes always sits just slightly above the plane of the bezel, not even with it as is often the case on 'perfect' or 'copied from the genuine' reps. Just something to consider.

Ok Ok, never say never.

I said I hate it when it was released and now it's growing on me ...[censored]. :angry:

Thanks Lani!

I just broke down and decided I gotta have one. It's v3, right? If Lani has it and Stephane is thinking about it, well, that means I gotta have one too!

Cheers

Just a quick pit-stop and then I catch this......

You bastards! More than enough candy to keep me happy, very little time to even think about watches never mind jump on another, and yet a few Hawaiian-sunlit pics, some old friends echoing my own restrained thoughts, and I feel my resistance crumbling. Pathetic. First it was Ubi's Yachtie, and now this, the madness takes hold once more..... :crazy:

Going to justify it by saying it will complete my Diving Holy Trinity - Aquagraph, BR-02, and DSSD (cue lecture from Nanuq on the pleasures of a Black Lung DOXA ;))

This brings up a good point & 1 that is equally relevant to discussions of the GMTIIC. The crystal on gen modern Rolexes always sits just slightly above the plane of the bezel, not even with it as is often the case on 'perfect' or 'copied from the genuine' reps. Just something to consider.

perhaps the gasket was poorly manufactured on the rep. .. as it sure sits spot on flush with the bezel as the genuines do have a slight lip .. the crystal does sit a fraction higher than the bezel (genuine).. I wonder if the rep crystal has a 'seat' built in..

As far as the dial .. I can see serifs in the S's on the rep with a loupe.. I am very excited about this .. as this is the first rep that "I" have seen with the flat S ...... well,.. that may make up for the crystal .. for me anyway.. dial will be fun to macro..

btw.. the lume is blue.. but strangely when I used a halogen light to charge it last night, when glowing bright it looked green .. then slowly turned blue.. today in the sunlight .. and whilst driving through the tunnel in the dark.. it was blue.. so perhaps before it was charged it appears green.. but it was definately blue yesterday morning and it is blue now..

Just a quick pit-stop and then I catch this......

You bastards! More than enough candy to keep me happy, very little time to even think about watches never mind jump on another, and yet a few Hawaiian-sunlit pics, some old friends echoing my own restrained thoughts, and I feel my resistance crumbling. Pathetic. First it was Ubi's Yachtie, and now this, the madness takes hold once more..... :crazy:

Going to justify it by saying it will complete my Diving Holy Trinity - Aquagraph, BR-02, and DSSD (cue lecture from Nanuq on the pleasures of a Black Lung DOXA ;))

hey doc.. I was going to mail you to tell you to haul butt .. over ... your cup of Kona.. fo sure... she is a monsta .. for a Rolex

the dial on the rep is fantastic.. first one with the correctly shaped font.. S .. with the seriffs .... Ma GOD ... !!!! :D and the colour of the bezel.. fogetaboutit !!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll be taking the macros later today so hopefully when you lumber out of bed it will be posted... B)

Cheers

This from the member who broke ground with the IWC 3717 Pilot and HK Tan OEM spec strap :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What's Up Yaron ???.. knew you'd visit with this posted.. like sonar .. or bee's to honey B) .. good to see you ma friend !!

The watch looks wicked!

Is it this one?

http://www.jpc8118.com/00000000rlsd10017-d...est-p-5414.html

How long does the lume last?

Thanks

i would spend a little extra for the Swiss movement..

dunno how long the lume last, it needs charging .. meaning it should be out of the box for a couple of day's before you can really tell the life span..