When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brain Teaser Game!

cornerstone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I'll admit that I have cheated somewhat on the following answer (I couldn't help it)...

I looked up the word desert to find alternative meanings and found that although the common usage of the word desert means a hot, sandy area that we normally think about, the true meaning is an area of land that receives less than 25cm of RAINFALL annually that appears to be devoid of life.

Digging a little more on that premise, I discoved that areas such as Antarctica and the Arctic Circle are actually classified as "cold deserts."

The diversion in the riddle is the name Abdullah, which draws our thoughts to persons of Middle Eastern descent, thus plants our thinking to the Middle Eastern desert region. Had the name been something more obvious like Rear Admiral Richard Byrd or something :D , I might have had a legit chance.

All this being said, provided Abdullah had one hell of a coat and a kindly polar bear to snuggle with, he could have survived eating snow and ice.

I will take no "Winner!" prize for that...I only accept the "Participant" ribbon :black_eye:

Ok...I'll admit that I have cheated somewhat on the following answer (I couldn't help it)...

I looked up the word desert to find alternative meanings and found that although the common usage of the word desert means a hot, sandy area that we normally think about, the true meaning is an area of land that receives less than 25cm of RAINFALL annually that appears to be devoid of life.

Digging a little more on that premise, I discoved that areas such as Antarctica and the Arctic Circle are actually classified as "cold deserts."

The diversion in the riddle is the name Abdullah, which draws our thoughts to persons of Middle Eastern descent, thus plants our thinking to the Middle Eastern desert region. Had the name been something more obvious like Rear Admiral Richard Byrd or something :D , I might have had a legit chance.

All this being said, provided Abdullah had one hell of a coat and a kindly polar bear to snuggle with, he could have survived eating snow and ice.

I will take no "Winner!" prize for that...I only accept the "Participant" ribbon :black_eye:

PARTICIPANT RIBBON!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

He's dead.

Ever the optimist! ;)

Yes, he survives off ice.

Okay, a bit of a crap one to leave you with:

What do the following pairs of letters represent?

RD ST ND

1 knot was equivalent to 1 nautical mile per hour, therefore the trip would take 25days 52minutes and 8 seconds or 612.5 hours.

Ken

BTW did I happen to mention that my Father was an Exec with the Australian National Lines

OK, how about this?

based on the hint from Cornerstone, I think the trick might be the second use of "per hour".

If a knot is defined as a measure of speed equaling one nautical mile per hour, then the phrase "proceeds at 1 knot per hour" is essentially stating "proceeding at one nautical mile per hour per hour" which implies acceleration.

Thus, hour one would be 1 knot, hour 2 would be 2 knots, etc., etc.

Based on that, it would take 34.5 hours (or 1 day, 10 hours, and 30 minutes) to cover the 612.5 nautical miles.

What do you think?

:boat:

OK, how about this?

based on the hint from Cornerstone, I think the trick might be the second use of "per hour".

If a knot is defined as a measure of speed equaling one nautical mile per hour, then the phrase "proceeds at 1 knot per hour" is essentially stating "proceeding at one nautical mile per hour per hour" which implies acceleration.

Thus, hour one would be 1 knot, hour 2 would be 2 knots, etc., etc.

Based on that, it would take 34.5 hours (or 1 day, 10 hours, and 30 minutes) to cover the 612.5 nautical miles.

What do you think?

:boat:

I think.......

......You're sailing!! :boat: WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I make it 35 hours though, is that right? :unsure:

Yes it's knots per hour, so nautical miles per hour per hour. If it was just knots Ken would be right.

Here's one from the cards again:

Sam purchased two cigars which, together, cost $1.10. One cigar cost one dollar more than the other. What were the individual prices of the two cigars?

Yes it's knots per hour, so nautical miles per hour per hour. If it was just knots Ken would be right.

The problem is that your question assumes that we're in PuzzleLand. While we have to read every nuance of phrasing, we have to ignore science. No deceleration time? :D

Sam purchased two cigars which, together, cost $1.10. One cigar cost one dollar more than the other. What were the individual prices of the two cigars?

$1.05 and .05

The problem is that your question assumes that we're in PuzzleLand. While we have to read every nuance of phrasing, we have to ignore science. No deceleration time? :D

$1.05 and .05

Science? Can't he slow down after he reaches the harbour and before he docks? Cut the engine? I expect better sea legs from the Pugwash! ;)

Big winner with the cigars!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The tallow obtained by burning ten candles will yield one extra candle. If you burned 1000 candles, how many extra candles could you make?

Ken

Two minutes? How am I supposed to dash off inside two minutes?! :lol:

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

When World War I started many of the fighting men wore cloth caps. As the high number of head injuries became apparent metal helmets quickly replaced cloth caps. Ironically, after issuing metal helmets the number of head injuries rose even higher. Since the fighting intensity remained constant, how can this strange phenomenon be explained?

Two minutes? How am I supposed to dash off inside two minutes?! :lol:

When World War I started many of the fighting men wore cloth caps. As the high number of head injuries became apparent metal helmets quickly replaced cloth caps. Ironically, after issuing metal helmets the number of head injuries rose even higher. Since the fighting intensity remained constant, how can this strange phenomenon be explained?

The metal helmets would cause increased head injury, by replacing the deaths that would of occurred with the cloth caps.

The metal helmets would cause increased head injury, by replacing the deaths that would of occurred with the cloth caps.

But trench rafters were the #2 reason! :yeah:;)

Okay - it's almost the weekend, and I may only have to work two days of it, so I'm feeling generous :D

How many of each species did Moses take onto the ark with him?