When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 091 New Davidsen

rolli

i really wasn't expecting this release, and at first glance the watch looks great. i would have jumped all over this a couple of years ago but as some of you may or may not know, i was able to find an amazing deal and now own the gen. i still may pick it up for comparison sake. with that being said, let's start picking this apart ...

first off, it should be on a brushed tt and ss bracelet, tapering from 24mm to 20mm (double or single push button deployment was available in the "e" series). everything on the rep is titanium which will make it lighter than the gen. the bezel, crown guard and crown should be ss. the actual case, crown lever and caseback is titanium. the dial looks good but i'm not sure how the anthracite color compares. the gen actually looks different at different angles and can change from a light grey, to a blueish grey, to a dark grey and even all black ... very cool and unique to only a few panerai models. the font is a little off and there is a frame around the date window that should not be there. also, there seems to be a ridge line around the subdial but that is getting pretty picky. other than that, the placement of the numerals, sticks and "l swiss made l" is pretty much spot on. the worst looking part of the dial is the lume. not the actual lume color (it looks very strong in the picture), but the small squares that are lumed. the complete square should be lumed and it looks like they have lumed only 3/4 of the square. probably hard to tell from the naked eye, but it is really jumping out at me in these pics. the hands and canon pinion look great, although the actual pin on the gen is polished. date font looks ok but the mag is bad (like most panerai reps). as members have already mentioned, the crown pin should be flat and also a couple of mm higher. the caseback quality is poor ... the gen does not say " ocean chronometer" on it.

in closing, if you've been waiting for this rep since http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA6W-0x-TfI, i would go for it! and although hard to find, there are tt and ss bracelets for sale from time to time. i wish i felt up to taking some comparison pictures for you but i'm a little under the weather. here is a close-up of the rep from davidsenjpn (i hope it's ok that i copied it here) and my dial which will give you an idea. all the best!

rep

DSCF9633.jpg

gen

DSC04285-1-1.jpg