When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is this Gen Swiss ETA?

Guest Dr.TuB

This is what the dealer wrote to me

Thomas thats a 2846 gen ETA but not correct for your watch that is the

correct movement for the Omega PO etc running at 25000bph . You need to

send it back and I will fit a 2824/2 or 2836 for you . I honestly didn't

know we had these in stock they are impossible to find and cost 3 times

more than the 2836.Robert

is what he is saying true?

So did he get a better movement or what?

Result !

:-)

No what he got is an ETA 2846, these are the movements that were fitted in the swatch autos, it is a slower beat than a 2836/24 and also lacks the exenter adjuster, these poped up in upos a while ago and alot were sent back, yes it is a gen ETA, no it is not better as it has the incorect beat for what he wanted.

Nothing wrong with them except they are 21600 bph and you need 28800 bph in a modern rolex replica.

They are great for vintage rolex replicas.

They also sell for less than a 2824/2836.

I agree except for the value. The 2846 is a discontinued ETA calibre that is highly sought after (by rep makers & modders) for use in vintage Rolex reps due to its slower beat, which is closer to the 18k-19.8k beat of many vintage Rolex watches. The movement in the OP's watch looks to be a gen Swiss-made ETA, but impossible to be sure without a close, personal inspection. If the OP has or plans to get any vintage Rolex reps, you might want to retain this movement for use in those & source another 2836 for your Deepsea (which has the correct 28.8k beat).

so should i send this back?

is the movement rare? if it is, should i just keep it?

or maybe someone want to do a trade with me :D

I agree except for the value. The 2846 is a discontinued ETA calibre that is highly sought after (by rep makers & modders) for use in vintage Rolex reps due to its slower beat, which is closer to the 18k-19.8k beat of many vintage Rolex watches. The movement in the OP's watch looks to be a gen Swiss-made ETA, but impossible to be sure without a close, personal inspection. If the OP has or plans to get any vintage Rolex reps, you might want to retain this movement for use in those & source another 2836 for your Deepsea (which has the correct 28.8k beat).

so should i send this back?

is the movement rare? if it is, should i just keep it?

or maybe someone want to do a trade with me :D

I agree.........a nice Blacksteel would be a good fair trade.

I 100% agree with you, its VERY rare.

If you get stuck Tub's I'll sling you $5 for it because I like you.

:)

quote =

They do? Where? :)

/quote

Just to show I am not talking out my azz...

Startime Supply, Houston TX

November 5 2008

Eta 2824-2...$149

Eta 2836-2...$149

Eta 2846...$129

They had blow out on nib steel Berne diver watches with screwbacks, sapphire crystals, screw down crowns, Eta 2824-2, in a wood box for $149 each but they are probably all gone by now.

Here is what they look like...

http://www.bernardwatch.com/Berne

Buy 50 movements and they will probably make you a deal.

Note:

Do not cover them up with nuisance calls...this supply house deals with pros, not hobby guys.

Believe it or not...I do know what I am talking about. ;)

Automatico, I think you're on the money.

This is what Otto Frei currently offers:

- ETA 2846 movement; 21 jewels. $89.00 ...and this is with the watch.

So yes, they do appear to be more affordable than ETA-2824/36.

Check his website for more details.

EDIT: Correction...Otto seems to be out of stock on these...

Edited by babola

Eta 2846...$129

[...]

Believe it or not...I do know what I am talking about. ;)

Interesting, apart from the fact they're less than half that price from Jules Borel.

The question is whether or not they're in stock. Borel claims to sell 2836 movements for about $70 and 2846 movements under $60, so as long as they're in stock, I'm ordering some at that price.

quote =

Interesting, apart from the fact they're less than half that price from Jules Borel.

The question is whether or not they're in stock. Borel claims to sell 2836 movements for about $70 and 2846 movements under $60, so as long as they're in stock, I'm ordering some at that price.

/quote

Try it.

It seems every time I say something, I get tested on it. I was just quoting a 'for example' to show a 2846 was less than a 2824/36.

Maybe you should get on the phone and call around to supply houses and see how it goes.

If you want prices:

The last batch of new 2846 movements I bought a few years back cost $60 each from ST International but it took over 6 months to get them. (the packages are marked ETA 2846/3)

About 20 pounds of Jaques Prevard diver watches (store returns and nos) with 17 jewel eta 2846 (all running) for $10 each a few years back.

The last 2824-2 movements I bought were $40 to $55 including the nib Gruen watches they came in...2836 were $55 in nos Oniss watches.

The last eta 2892-A2 movements I bought were $100 each in new JW Benson watches with leather straps and display backs.

The last val/eta 7750 were $150 to $200 in nib w/p Hamilton Khaki chronographs at the Orlando NAWCC show about 10 years back. A man was liquidating all the stock from Hamilton's outlet store. I had 20 or 30 and sold the last one in early spring '08.

50 assorted new steel Seiko 5 and 44mm Orient multi dates with b/p for $28 each. (15+/- left)

Like this:

http://www.watches88.com/pd_orient_automat...nder_46d001.cfm

A friend buys 500 (five hundred) eta 2824-2 at a time direct from Swatch and I will ask him how much they are going for next time I talk to him.

Imho, what this all boils down to is never sell a watch for less than the movement is worth at today's prices...and the $159 swiss eta powered replicas that "Paul" sold a few years ago were a pretty good deal compared to today's $400 replicas with a fake etas in them.

quote=

This is what Otto Frei currently offers:

- ETA 2846 movement; 21 jewels. $89.00 ...and this is with the watch.

So yes, they do appear to be more affordable than ETA-2824/36.

EDIT: Correction...Otto seems to be out of stock on these...

/quote

Yeah, same as J Borel. They can quote $89 as long as they do not have any to sell.

If you want to order one, they are probably $129+/-...if they can get them at all.

quote =

With only 38 posts, it's inevitable. We have had our fair share of chancers.

/quote

Ok, I have a couple questions for you:

1...How long have you been on the forums?

I was on the old EZ Board RWCC until it folded and on TRC as 'Rick' (member number 43). I changed screen names after a server meltdown (no law against that).

I was a poster on TZ beginning shortly after Richard Paige brought it over from Singapore as well as a few other forums.

2...How long have you worked on watches?

I started working on them in the late 1960s, mostly rolex since 1972.

You probably started out on the forums green and asking dozens of questions and had no trouble at all.

I started out answering questions and have not had a good reception at all.

The Truth is...(imho) you are a newby compared to some of us.

Mind your manners.

The Truth is...(imho) you are a newby compared to some of us.

Mind your manners.

You joined here this year. You've posted 39 times. You don't have a recognisable Avatar or signature. Until you posted on this thread, I'd never heard of you. How on earth am I supposed to read your mind and realise you've had three hundred and twelve years of experience and practically single-handedly created the rep industry?

Merry Christmas, and a happy new year. Who are you again? :)

quote = You joined here this year. You've posted 39 times. You don't have a recognisable Avatar or signature. Until you posted on this thread, I'd never heard of you. How on earth am I supposed to read your mind and realise you've had three hundred and twelve years of experience and practically single-handedly created the rep industry?

Merry Christmas, and a happy new year. Who are you again? :)

/quote

Make that 325 years and no, I did not do it all alone. I had some help...one guy part time.

It's people like you that make the internet such a wonderful place. Your humble, benevolent, and courteous attitude...and such a way with words!

I am truly honored you took the time to reply.