When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Red vs Blue

freddy333

A frequently asked question is whether you can tell the difference between stainless steel & white gold.

While the differences are subtle, at best, it can be done as long as you know what those differences are & you are sensitive enough to see them. This picture clearly demonstrates the way stainless steel (the 116520 & 16520 at the top) tends towards the bluer (cooler) end of the color spectrum while white gold (the 116509 at the bottom) tends towards the redder (warmer) end of the color spectrum (platinum tends to be even bluer/brighter than stainless steel)

wgsteel2.jpg

excellent comparison! and the answer to a very comon question.

the white gold has a beautiful warm color doesnt it?? yumm

and you can also tell by the weight if you are holding it...

I dont think i've seen a platium watch in real life to compare

Does this white gold /ss comparison work for other brands as well? I know rolex mixes their own gold. Would a white gold Breitling also have this warmer red color? Next time i have access to a white gold breitling i will "try" to take some comparison pics to show the difference.

Woah, in other pics I couldn't really tell even when I was looking at the color differences. But in this pic, the difference is quite clear. I can definitely see the red hue on the white gold. Beautiful watches though, I love the Daytona but I'm not too fond of the seconds at 6 movement issues...

I do not know about watches but white gold in jewelry usually has a yellowish cast to it as well. Basically white gold has a high nickel content to make it look white in color. Most white gold jewelry is plated with rhodium. This makes it look even whiter. I do not know if white Rolex watches are plated with rhodium or not. Freddy are those your watches?

Edited by gplracer