When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another transitional Sub...

Velasco

May God preserve your sight! ;)

Yes, there are two things "funny" in this 16800:

- endlinks are marked 593, but without the semi-circular pieces... this is quite strange and I have never seen that. Maybe they are aftermarket, but this doesn't make sense since it seems they have not been replaced: aging and signs of wear are consistent with the bracelet (marked as VE) and case (serial 644) this means 1980

- hands have rests of luminova on them... you can see that on the seconds and on the minutes hand there are certain areas with a lighter tone of yellow (these areas glow in the dark). Maybe relumed by an amateur watchmaker?

Never seen these two things before... Any of you have any hint on these?

Interesting theory, B. Since everything else is gen, I would think you could walk into a Rolex AD and order a new set of 593 EL's. Hopefully it wouldn't be too expensive. Just don't let them touch anything else.

The reluming wouldn't surprise me, even Rolex used to do it back in the old days. Now they just replace stuff with new- quicker and easier and who cares if it costs more.

A friend told me the EL's are gen, and come without the circular ends. Daytonas use them also...

You can even see that there are no marks on the lugs, if they were changed there would be some scraches:

Thank you Omega (and your friend...). That makes sense. Although I have to say this 593 without the circular ends are not a good idea.

I had to "re-shape" them manually to keep them in place and prevent them from rotating. If they have had circular ends, they would have been sitting correctly in place.

Always learning something new... The amount of knowledge in this place is amazing.

best regards.

V.