When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Don't you feel a bit lonely with the hobby of ours?

Guest Sql_pl

yes, it is a very esoteric hobby and/or collection.

I know someone who is into watches and was looking at a rep. panerai. He has some old vintage watches that he has sold and bought on ebay.

I posted a question about rep watches on a popular deals forum and some said that watches are such a poser thing and getting a rep watch is useless, get the real thing if you want to pose.

I am thinking of getting a Rolex day-date, but that might be just too much bling for me right now, since gen. msrp is 24K, and I don't fit the clientele of a 24K watch.

Edited by If you see Kay

Attending a number of family dinners over last couple of days has got me thinking.

How many members of your family/close friends are really interested in watches?

We've been sitting at the table today... some talk about normal things, family stuff, pets, food, cars and of course football.

There was a discussion about today's game - Manchester United vs... I don't even remember who as I am not into football at all...

So when the discussion started and I heard Manchester United - the first thing that came to my mind and that I felt like sharing was about Hublot and their new sponsorship contract, the new limited Big Bang watch etc etc.... but guess what? I did not say a word.. because I feel they would not really care. They would have no idea what Hublot is leave alone a Big Bang and what was changed in the MU limited version.

I suddenly started to feel very lonely in this hobby and with my interest.

If it wasn't for internet and our amazing forums it would be really hard to find a person to talk to about watches.

To be honest in my close surrounding there is only my father who is interested in this subject, my gf got a bit into it thatnks to me... maybe one or two friends who like nice watches but do not really have a clue about anything specific....

So thank you guys that you are here and that I can share my passion with you!

Speaking of the ManU limited edition big bang, does anyone know if there are plans to replicate it?

Well had you been sat in the Bechers Bar in the Pupp last weekend you wouls not have been lonely!

I have met some wonderfull people and made some grat friends, ok around the general populus they look at you a bit strange but i am sure a lot wish they could be wearing what we are but just dont have the time, inclination or just the passion?

You know ladt week end watches were one of the least talked about things of the week end, Apart from the guy with the gold HBB in the italion, and i would say it was a gen, same as the patek they guy behind me was wearing last year!

• 1 year later...

Non of my closest friend`s or family member will not pay 300...+$ for watch... unfortunately.

But I work in place where is a lot of customers who are wearing a expensive watch`es.

It is quite odd feeling if somebody will notice my watch. They usually never ask and I will never "show off" my watch. I wear a watch usually as I wear a any watch. But sometimes they are interested about my watch also and they ask about it.

But my wife does not care( as long as my collection is normal -not huge). My family does not care about watches and so basically not to talk with anybody also about my watches or just about watches. But to be honest I don`t care also, it is my hobby and I can talk and read from forum`s 8)

Aaaaaaaaaaaw group hug! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Hey sql! Youre right buddy it is a bit "lonely" out there in the real world. Many of my friends and family notice I have a different watch on regularly and they always ask "is that a new watch? Looks nice".......thats about it :whistling: Or if the topic comes up in a social situation, my brother and sister will say "oh yeah, O**r loves watches, he collects / sells / buys them" and everyone just goes "oh, yeah really? hmmmmm"........ :bangin:

I mean even in most AD's the sales assistants shockingly have no idea what they are talking about.

Hey now... we'll here for each other.. like minds gather in a place like this. And also, that's why we organize local GTG as well.. I dun give 2 hoots about someone who can't tell a rolex and a cartier apart or think quartz are the best thing that's ever been invented. Even my wife got into the action.. but i secretly believe its a prelude to getting the gen.. bleh

Lonely ? I'd say its anything but

I mean look how many people have responded to this thread already.

If others don't notice or appreciate our hobby, its their loss - not ours.

Heck if not for us enthusiasts, a good portion of Chinese workmen would be killing themselves off @ FoxConn ... o wait :D

If everybody collected reps it would be boring :1a: it being something few people I know do is part of the attraction ^_^ ....and the knowledge that most will never spot it as a fakey :p

I think it's pretty much the same with EVERY hobby.

You can easily find the "soul mates" from people who follow the major sports... football/soccer, hockey, baseball, basketball, etc. Following sports is pretty much the only "mainstream hobbby" that most of us have... then we have our private interests.

Just think about collecting watches before the Internet... or WITHOUT the Internet. Now that would be a lonely hobby.

This is a pleasant topic. For the most part, the majority realy don't care much at all (or at least they act that way) about watches. Probably most of us here have often admired beautiful watches of quality, and never said anything to the person wearing it. Watch collecting is like any other, in that those enthusiasts seek out others for both camparison and knowledge. Omnce in a while I will get comments on my watch of the day, but mostly it is I who initiates the subject, and in watches like Panerai, those wearing them seem taken back that I knew what their watch make even was. Many have said, the same thing in that no one has a clue whats on the wrist. This is ok though, we do it for ourselves, but yes, it can be a lonely hobby.

Not really if you do chance upon another person who has interest in watches. i was presenting my work to my client and suddenly he asked me "it that a rolex? So I said yes.i was wearing my DSSD. He then asked me if it's real. I said no it's a rep. I took it off my wrist and let him have a look. He wears a rolex air king, the gen one but his need repair as it skips. He was really quite interested and surprised at the quality of the watch,the weight and so on. went on to tell me his watch was from his dad so he keeps it for sentimental reasons, and that his dad owned a rolex that was quite a rare one which costs him back in those days 23K pounds. we had a chat about rolexes etc and i showed him too where the flaw is with the DSSD.kind of digress from what we were supposed to be doing.

i never did really finish the presentation after that , he just told me he's happy with the work and it's all good.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Lots of great thoughts here guys! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I do feel a little alone in a micro sense or within my personal life/work, I can count on one hand how many people around me who even care about watches! Basically my wife and parents are the only people who ask questions or comment on what they like or don't like...or say "isn't that a little large for a watch?" Haha!

But on a macro level, I have a great community to enjoy this hobby with, it's my second family. We're here for our passion of watches, so I guess you could say...I'm good with how things are! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers! :drinks:

When I was a boy, my Grandfather worked in New York City .. near the real Canal Street area! So he would sometimes bring home a watch from the vendors there.

And once or twice he gave one to me.

So I was hooked. I was a watch person. If only I knew what kind of watch he loved, I would get one for him .. he's 86 so .. I guess I should find out.