When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling All Rolex Experts

RobbieG

Please help in my education as I prepare to embark on my vintage journey in 2009. Thanks in advance for your answers.

What year did Rolex begin using sapphire crystals? Was it the same year for several models? In other words, did the Sub and Dweller switch to sapphire in the same year? Did the shape of the crystals all change when they made the switch? In other words, are there any identical sized crystals during the crossovers that have the exact same size and profile but differ only by material?

Also, are the cyclops maginfication on 1680 Subs more powerful than modern Subs, or are the date font sizes just bigger giving that appearance?

Finally, I notice that older style T pearls on inserts tend to age at a rate faster than the dials. Is that because the luminous material is directly exposed to air on the old inserts without any kind of "glazing" or crystal material seen on modern watches from Rolex and other brands? But why is it that some pearls seem not to age badly as compared to others on watches of similar vintages?

The sapphire crystal was first introduced on the Submariner 16800 in the late 70's, early 80's. Earliest examples I've seen are 6 million SN. This was also the intro of the quickset 3035 movement. Datejusts continued to sport the plastic crystals until the intro of the 16200 models in the late 80's. This 16800 from Robert Maron apparently sports a plastic crystal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-TRANSITIONAL-SUB...%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's certainly a very unusual watch- I'm not sure if it's correct or not. Depth rating changed also with the 16800- going to 1000ft/300m from the 200m/660ft of the 1680. The 1665 Sea-Dweller was produced for a few more years in the early 80's and replaced by the 16660 which also sported a sapphire crystal and increased depth ratings. The 5513 was around until '89 or '90- maybe into the R or L- SN's. Same plastic crystal, 1520 movement and an updated dial with the WG surrounds.

Cyclops mag on the 1680 is still 2.5x, but the cyclops is further from the date window due to the height of the plastic crystal, hence the greater magnification. You can also see this on the 1675 GMT.

Tritium bezel inserts do seem to age faster than the tritium dial markers. You may be right about more exposure to air and water and salt water. Bezel inserts are commonly changed, explaining why some watches appear to have better inserts. Rolex changes out any aged parts these days. I have a 16800- 8.1m SN which has a recent Tritium dial (I figure c. 1998-99) that still glows in the dark very nicely- the matte dial was replaced around 10 years ago in servicing.

The sapphire crystal was first introduced on the Submariner 16800 in the late 70's, early 80's. Earliest examples I've seen are 6 million SN. This was also the intro of the quickset 3035 movement. Datejusts continued to sport the plastic crystals until the intro of the 16200 models in the late 80's. This 16800 from Robert Maron apparently sports a plastic crystal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-TRANSITIONAL-SUB...%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's certainly a very unusual watch- I'm not sure if it's correct or not. Depth rating changed also with the 16800- going to 1000ft/300m from the 200m/660ft of the 1680. The 1665 Sea-Dweller was produced for a few more years in the early 80's and replaced by the 16660 which also sported a sapphire crystal and increased depth ratings. The 5513 was around until '89 or '90- maybe into the R or L- SN's. Same plastic crystal, 1520 movement and an updated dial with the WG surrounds.

Cyclops mag on the 1680 is still 2.5x, but the cyclops is further from the date window due to the height of the plastic crystal, hence the greater magnification. You can also see this on the 1675 GMT.

Tritium bezel inserts do seem to age faster than the tritium dial markers. You may be right about more exposure to air and water and salt water. Bezel inserts are commonly changed, explaining why some watches appear to have better inserts. Rolex changes out any aged parts these days. I have a 16800- 8.1m SN which has a recent Tritium dial (I figure c. 1998-99) that still glows in the dark very nicely- the matte dial was replaced around 10 years ago in servicing.

If you need an information, simply ask Alligoat :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank you, Stephane. The great thing about this place is we're all learning and sharing that knowledge is what makes this place fun. I've learned a lot here from cool people like you, Tribal, Omega, BKLM and scores other too numerous to mention. I enjoy collecting the gens, but I also get just as much pleasure out of modding the reps and trying to get as close as possible to gen-like. You were the one that showed me how to build a 16800 using the noob case. These 16800's have kinda become my grail watch.

post-175-1230476845_thumb.jpg

Left is my gen and right is the franken w/ relumed matte dial and drilled case holes by Omega- still one of my favorite 'beaters'.