When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New pics of my gen Fiddy, gen 005J and gen 024I

robertb

the quality of GENS is ''far away'' from that of REPS....

You're right, I see some good rep Pams, then when I see the real deal I realise how far apart the finishing on the movement is. The only thing I've seen that comes close is Little Hero's work. Nice collection Robert!

awesome pictures R. i've seen all three of them in person and they are all lookers.... ;)

so when's (or should i say what's) the next addition?

cc

Yes, that is exactly correct. I went to pick up the watch and 20-30 minutes after I bought it, it was in CC's hands. If I recall correctly, he was afraid to touch it. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys!

It is nice to that someone on this forum has a genuine one of one of the "cult " models !!

VERY nice indeed!!!! :rolleyes:

Yes I agree with the others that says the genuine is sometime a long way from the replica ones !

It is difficult to make all the edges perfectly smooth on for example the Fiddy that has a lot of difficult areas to machine.

You're right, I see some good rep Pams, then when I see the real deal I realise how far apart the finishing on the movement is. The only thing I've seen that comes close is Little Hero's work. Nice collection Robert!

Agreed. We have some reps which are pretty much spot on in terms of the "chassis" but the engine on the other hand, which IMO is a substantial % of a watch on some of the more complex designs ... leaves a lot to be desired.

Absolutely a beautiful piece that Fiddy.

Concrats :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the quality of GENS is ''far away'' from that of REPS....

I agree that there is a difference in quality between the gens and the reps.

But to be honest, I think the gap in quality (actually, I think we talk about the finishing when we look at it) is not as big as the price difference between the gens and the reps.

I think that there are some really nice pieces out there, which look and feel very close to the real deal. Also when you have them side by side.

For me, most of the time the biggest tell is the strap. That

Nice, LOVE that 127! ^_^

I'd love to see a side by side with an EL 127 if someone in SoCal can do it :)

I love my gens, but still love my reps. I've been wearing my dad's gen LV Green Sub since he passed in November, but I think I'll have to strap on my 24i when I get home for some other sub love...

dave :victory:

Difference is still there, but once you get your ducks in the row, it actually isn't that big.

The major difference exist between the factory produced Pam rep and the gen, no doubt about that. Add a bit of TLC, know-how, patience and sweat, and you'll be extremely close, for still a major gap between price of a gen and fully modded rep or franken. And of course, do not show "them" a rep mov't, we all know that by now.

I may spend and extra $4K to get a better car, motorcycle or hi-ticket household item, but spending it on a manual wind gen watch that only marginaly looks and feels better than a fully moded $500-600 rep...that I won't. BTW, I feel much more fulfilled and rewarded after the long term ultimate rep project comes to an end and all comes out as you'd expected.

Gen is a gen, and will always be, with all the attention to detail during manufacturing of parts and assembly and well known Swiss QC, it will be hard to match by any rep manufacturer, being Chinese, Japanese or any other.

cheers,

babola