When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen SMP pictorial and review

Shundi

That IS a nice watch!

I love my genuine SMP Americas cup ( limited model with white gold bezel ) with both the "bond" bracelet AND the same as Yours and it IS a big difference to have a genuine watch !!

That's great. I'm glad that JAG's sale went to someone who really could appreciate it, and do the new acquisition up in style with this review and photo write-up. Great stuff...and congrats!

Any mods planned? ;)

Nice review Shundi and some great photos ! I have the midsize version of the same watch, which I bought from Mickey Padge, (another esteemed RWGer), a while ago. You're absolutely right about the dial, it's amazing the way the colour changes, depending on the way the light hits it. B)

Just out of interest, I wasn't overly keen on the Speedy bracelet so I managed to get a rep SMP bracelet off the 'Bay (as mine is the midesize, the lugs are 18mm and not 20mm). I now prefer to wear it on the "Bond" bracelet. I noticed another member selling the same watch (gen) in the Trade section recently and his was on the "Bond" bracelet - did this watch come on both types??? :unsure:

Wear it well ! :D

Very nice review and that location looks very peaceful. For the price the SMP's are a great used buy at the moment. I found this (well a 2531.) to be one of the most balanced and nicest watches to wear, it never feels uncomfortable on your wrist!

Nice review Shundi and some great photos !

Thanks! These might be the first "ok" photos I've posted on RWG! Not great, but not terrible like my usual ones! Naturally diffuse light makes a big difference I guess!

That IS a nice watch!

I love my genuine SMP Americas cup ( limited model with white gold bezel ) with both the "bond" bracelet AND the same as Yours and it IS a big difference to have a genuine watch !!

Yeah the gen Omega bracelets are incredibly comfortable... I tried a rep SMP a year ago and it didn't really do it for me then, esp. since I found the bracelet to be quite stiff and squeaky even after oil and wax...

That's great. I'm glad that JAG's sale went to someone who really could appreciate it, and do the new acquisition up in style with this review and photo write-up. Great stuff...and congrats!

Any mods planned? wink.gif

Thanks Toad! The comments about the review mean a lot coming from the guy who's written some great reviews and tutorials! Mods planned? Hmm...well... In all seriousness I may have the bracelet professionally refinished if I can't get the big scratches out and I may see if I can pop a new insert in but in reality even though JAG wore the watch on a daily basis there aren't many scratches and certainly nothing deep...

Very nice review and that location looks very peaceful. For the price the SMP's are a great used buy at the moment. I found this (well a 2531.) to be one of the most balanced and nicest watches to wear, it never feels uncomfortable on your wrist!

Yeah I own the 2531.80 as well...great watch and I think the balance has a lot to do with the thinness of the movement and, in turn, the case. The location is a state park in my hometown in Massachusetts (I'm spending a week or two with my family up here in/around Boston)... My girlfriend and I were taking her dog for a walk and I snapped a few photos while she was chasing her Chesapeake!

Just out of interest, I wasn't overly keen on the Speedy bracelet so I managed to get a rep SMP bracelet off the 'Bay (as mine is the midesize, the lugs are 18mm and not 20mm). I now prefer to wear it on the "Bond" bracelet. I noticed another member selling the same watch (gen) in the Trade section recently and his was on the "Bond" bracelet - did this watch come on both types??? unsure.gif

Yes- The bond bracelet was an option on all Seamasters (I think it still is...)

Just out of interest, I wasn't overly keen on the Speedy bracelet so I managed to get a rep SMP bracelet off the 'Bay (as mine is the midesize, the lugs are 18mm and not 20mm). I now prefer to wear it on the "Bond" bracelet. I noticed another member selling the same watch (gen) in the Trade section recently and his was on the "Bond" bracelet - did this watch come on both types??? unsure.gif

Yes- The bond bracelet was an option on all Seamasters (I think it still is...)

I'm sorry, "Prior to 2002, the "Bond" bracelet was an available option for every Seamaster model. However, it's now exclusively available only on the actual Bond Seamaster, and Bond Seamaster chronograph." as per Holbrook's review http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/seamaster/bondreview.html

IMO this watch and the bracelet it's on are MUCH more conservative than my 2351.80

On my iPhone just a quick post: my local watchmaker put the watch on his fancy new timer today and reported the avg. amplitude as being 288 with an average error of +1 second per day across all positions. His parting comment was "I wish all my watches kept time like that!" * Whoops just realized I reported the amplitude wrong , fix'd

Beautiful watch and outstanding pictures. I have the SMP in black with the bond bracelet. Frankly I would have preferred the speedy bracelet but the watch I bought was marked incorrectly by the AD (it was marked with the quartz movement price)and just too good a buy to pass up. I know that you'll love the watch; I share your appreciation for the Omega 1120 movement.

Beautiful watch and outstanding pictures. I have the SMP in black with the bond bracelet. Frankly I would have preferred the speedy bracelet but the watch I bought was marked incorrectly by the AD (it was marked with the quartz movement price)and just too good a buy to pass up. I know that you'll love the watch; I share your appreciation for the Omega 1120 movement.

Wow! You must have gotten a SWEET deal! Wear it well!

Wow! You must have gotten a SWEET deal! Wear it well!

I bought it from the AD brand new, Omega warranty and the whole nine yards for a shade more than $1500. They had the watch marked at the quartz price and then took their normal 15% discount off that. I didn't feel obligated to point out their mistake.

I love the blue dial of your SMP. It really stands out.

I bought it from the AD brand new, Omega warranty and the whole nine yards for a shade more than $1500. They had the watch marked at the quartz price and then took their normal 15% discount off that. I didn't feel obligated to point out their mistake.

I love the blue dial of your SMP. It really stands out.

Wow... the price a corporation pays for inattentiveness... although, maybe it's just a sunk cost of getting you to purchase more stuff there :g:

Yeah the more I wear it...the more I like the dial too!

• 2 weeks later...

Big congrats! Yes, you can't beat the gen. Or is that, 'no, you can't beat the gen?

I got the SMP 2531 last year, and it's still the one I love the best. There really is no comparison between the rep and the gen, once you've felt the real thing on your wrist and in your hands. Wear it well (whatever that actually means)!