When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub w/ ETA movement has loose rotor

BobM

I have a Submariner with an ETA movement. The rotor is loose and I cannot get it to stay in place. I cannot see any place where the rotor is screwed in place; it looks like the rotor is just pressed onto the winding post but it won't stay. I have tried using GS cement. That didn't work. I am trying Locktite Blue right now, but I am not sure that will work. I have considered tapping the brass rotor to narrow the hole that fits onto the winding post to see it I can make that fit more snugly.

I have searched for any discussion of a similar problem and have found none. I have found discussion of using structural epoxy to glue some pieces. Haven't tried that yet.

Surely there is some better fix for this problem. Thanks for advice and help.

I have other subs. I may opeen them up to see if I can see useful clues. Opps, that won't work; those other Subs use DG2813 movements.

Well if it's an ETA then it should have a small metal screw in the middle... any chance you can post macro pics of the movement so more experienced members can have a look (I'll do what I can but if its not a missing screw I'm fresh out of ideas!)

I have looked at the online pictures at ETA.ch of these movements. I see no screw in the middle to retain the rotor ... and no screw around the rotor bearing hub that might retain the rotor. I do see a screw in the middle on DG2813 asian movements and all of the asian self-winding mechanicals, but not on the ETA movements.

Am I incorrect? I would have thought there was some sort of screwed retaining mechanism on the ETAs but I dont see it either on the movement I have in hand nor in illustrations online.

Not on this one ... maybe it is not an ETA mvt. However looks just like the ones on the ETA website. In any case the center hub of the rotor bearing (with ball bearings, like the one in KBH's photo) does not have a srew in the center and no screw hole. I did take the back off one of my other rolexes which is also supposed to be an ETA mvt and observed that was just like the Sub I was working on.

I think I have fixed it anyway. Clear nail polish. I used clear nail polish on the edges of the rotor hole - which fits over the rotor bearing hub - and a couple of droplets applied by toothpick at the junction of the rotor and the rotor bearing hub. Seems to be holding okay for now.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera of sufficient quality to take a pix of the watch to post. Certainly one of the items high on my "to get" list.

Thank you all for your help.

Yep- what KBH said...

If you post a picture we might be able to help...

Like KBH's pic and Shundi says- there is a screw securing the rotor to the bridge below. I've had to rescrew the rotor on an eta copy movt twice in the last couple of weeks. One more time and I'm gluing the screw in! Even the copy movts have the screw- look at these Seagull and Hangzhou copies from this watchuseek article- this is an excellent article, BTW.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1547711

Either it's not an ETA, or you lost the screw. In my case the screw couldn't go anywhere because the case back kept the whole rotor assembly basically in place- but it sure made a wicked noise- kinda clanking around.

Bring the watch to the GTG, Bob, I'd like to look at it.

Either it's not an ETA, or you lost the screw. In my case the screw couldn't go anywhere because the case back kept the whole rotor assembly basically in place- but it sure made a wicked noise- kinda clanking around.

Exactly and a fine gesture from alligoat!

Dennis, a very generous suggestion! I will bring the watch and some tools. We'll have a good time ... and sort this out. See you there.

Like KBH's pic and Shundi says- there is a screw securing the rotor to the bridge below. I've had to rescrew the rotor on an eta copy movt twice in the last couple of weeks. One more time and I'm gluing the screw in! Even the copy movts have the screw- look at these Seagull and Hangzhou copies from this watchuseek article- this is an excellent article, BTW.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1547711