When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decisions on a Pam111H

Marky1012

I want to purchase a Pam 111H as my next rep.

This will be my fourth in 6 weeks. I have a white SOSF, a HBB Steel, I am expecting the to get the Rolex V3 Sea Dweller delivered this week and I now want the Pam. So much for the 'I'll only get a couple of watches and then I'll get bored' conversation with the missus!

I picked this particular model because of the dial (numbers are cut out) and the lume. The recent reviews also helped!

TT has this model for $158 - which appears to have the Sapphire crystal.

The Puretimme model is $188 but for an extra $30 you get the sapphire and AR, and for an extra $60 it is modded with a superlumed dial and cannon pin fix.

Overall the watch will cost $278 from Puretime and $158 from Trusty.

In your opinion are the mods worth the extra $120. I am a complete novice in this area so your advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

I JUST pulled the trigger on the $278 one from PT. I was wondering the same thing, and searched the forums a bit before doing it. I figure that even if it's not the best lume, it's something. As for the cannnon pin fix *shrug* We'll see how it goes. I decided on the asian movement, instead of the swiss to save me a bit of coin. From the discussions on here, it didn't seem worth the extra cash.

WR

Well, i think DSN is not selling anymore the ultimate 111h's . I own one and i can assue you it is the best "out of the box" 111h it exists... Swiss swan neck movement, it glows like fire in the dark, canon pin fixed, perfect quality. The last ones he was selling it was about 420 $ ...pricey but worthed it

For me, I went ahead with the one from PT, because I'm not really looking for the grail of the 111H. This will be my first Panerai, and I'd like to make sure it's something I like, and will get wrist time. $430 or so is a bit much for me, considering I'll probably be very happy with the $270 version, with an upgraded strap added on. Though you never know, I may catch the Pam-virus that people seem to get here. :)

silix is selling a Pam111 for $240 with "Manual Unitas 6497". I know his prices are supposedly good, but that price means it HAS to be Asian, not ETA, right?

The only Swiss 6497 movements, i.e. those manufactured and assembled in Switzerland, are the genuine Panerai or the 2 grades of ETA 6497. Both grades of the ETAs have the standard 'square' bridges, similar to the original Unitas / ETA & pre E series Panerai. Everything else is Asian, even though some Asian movements may contain some ETA parts. Anything which resembles the current Panerai movement has originated from Asia and is wholly dependent on Asian engineering for functionality. As far as engineering integrity is concerned any displayback 6497 watch should be considered to be non-Swiss. My 6497 Panerai reps are all closed caseback models with either the decorated CdG striped movement or the standard finish version. My autos are the PAM027 with the ETA 2892A2 and the PAM029 with the ETA 2893 GMT movement. Therefore, all of them have movements that were fully assembled alongside the genuine Panerai.

Hmm, just as a minor update: I spent $430 on a DSN 111H. In short, I do not think it's worth it...buy from elsewhere for <300$ and spend the rest on custom straps and mods. My CG had a clearly uneven cut (where the lever meets the CG) and the case even has a mysterious stain on it near the lugs that cannot be removed with conventional means. I can't really do anything about any of this...other than recommend to others that they can save money.

• 3 weeks later...
How does PT compare to sead on repgeek?

Well Ive never purchased a PAM from Angus (Puretime) but I will tell you lately he has been MIA. I did try to purchase a Chopard from him and never got response from him directly in email. Customer service has to count for something, right? Ok so for what its worth, I bought a $130 PAM111 from Andrew (Trusty) and I love the watch itself. The straps were a different matter...they looked rather stiff and plastic and had a very noticeable pungent odor. I swapped out the straps and now I have what I think is a wonderful watch for the money. Maybe someone can point out what Im missing with Andrew's less expensive version....