When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advices needed... how good are these ones ?

tonio_fr

Hello to all. I bought these sub reps long ago before discovering RWG and I was wondering how good (or not !) these were and what kind of model (I mean factory) they were. Sorry for some crappy picts, there are my fery first attemps and I see now I shoud have clean them before :huh:

First one: I used to wear it as daily beater before changing for the second one. Here it is:

P1010302.jpg

P1010303.jpg

P1010312.jpg

P1010301.jpg

P1010305.jpg

P1010306.jpg

P1010307.jpg

P1010308.jpg

P1010309.jpg

P1010310.jpg

P1010311.jpg

P1010312.jpg

The seconde one: It's now my daily beater (see the scratches on the band !). Different from the first one but I don't know which one is more accurate. Date is amazing with different fonts. Here it is:

P1010314.jpg

P1010315.jpg

P1010316.jpg

P1010317.jpg

P1010318.jpg

P1010320.jpg

P1010321.jpg

P1010322.jpg

P1010329.jpg

P1010330.jpg

P1010334.jpg

Are the third one, my wife's one in fact. Even don't know if it exists but it looks really good. Here it is:

P1010319.jpg

P1010324.jpg

P1010323.jpg

P1010325.jpg

P1010327.jpg

Side by side:

P1010335.jpg

P1010336.jpg

According to me, :

- Bezel insert and pearl replacement on both.

- dateweel is wrong on both but can it be replace ? by what ?

- Date mag is wrong on sub 1, can it be changed ? by what and how ?

- CG must be trimed on sub 1, better on sub 2

- Crown gasket if off on sub 2 (cut while using crown). What could be use to replce it, where to order ?

- Crown to big on sub 2. Can I replace tube and crown with better ones ?

- Bands are not too bad but scraches sould me removed...

But on the top of that, do these watches are worth this work if the basements are not strong enought ?[/

Thanks in advance for your help and to share your knowledge !

Edited by tonio_fr

You don't say what movements the two Subs have. If they're ETA's, that would be cool.

Second sub- you could get a Watchmaterial pearl and install it- www.watchmaterial.com- around $10 plus a little s&h. Trim the crown guards and it would be a little better looking beater.

Like bluesphere says, you might consider a BK WM9 V2 sub- it's not cheap, but it's the best deal out there. The Euromariner requires a lot of work and unless you know how to do the mods, it isn't worth it- you'll spend way more on it than the BK WM9 V2 and you still won't have the superlume.

BTW, your wife's is a fantasy model- but still neat.

You don't say what movements the two Subs have. If they're ETA's, that would be cool.

Second sub- you could get a Watchmaterial pearl and install it- www.watchmaterial.com- around $10 plus a little s&h. Trim the crown guards and it would be a little better looking beater.

Like bluesphere says, you might consider a BK WM9 V2 sub- it's not cheap, but it's the best deal out there. The Euromariner requires a lot of work and unless you know how to do the mods, it isn't worth it- you'll spend way more on it than the BK WM9 V2 and you still won't have the superlume.

BTW, your wife's is a fantasy model- but still neat.

I do not think it can be ETA. 1rst one was 20$, 30$ for the second sub, directly in beijing I must precise...

I think I will try the new pearl as you suggest alligoat and keep the other one for the band and parts. Think also I will consider a BK or at least a noobmariner, depending on the money...

The noobmariner can be a good watch- Lord knows, I've bought 4 of them- 5 if you count the case for my 16800 franken. And if you were to have BK mod it it would be nice, but I think the WM9 is the way to go these days- it's the latest and best out of the box. Granted it's not cheap, but it has some great features like the superlume. Modding my own watches, I know I can't build a watch as nice as the WM9 V2 for what they're selling it for.

You pay a little more, but what you get is worth it.

Oh I dunno, I like 'em well enough. I have worn and do wear worse. An 'ole watch like an 'ole shep who don't know what a mutt he is. It'll serve just as well as another if it keeps time and the sheep in line.

Like others have said; a crown guard trim, a few Watchmaterial.com inserts, a polish and a rebrush. Then go source the next generation. I think the best collections are those that started in the infancy of the 'replica movement' and culminate from years of progress in the genre. I still love my clunky 60 click CN Sub with Miyota movement from '04, meh 99usd. Still wish I had my quartz "Polex" Sub from Pattaya in '87. Oh! What a 'ho she was. :D

Edited by Demsey

Oh I dunno, I like 'em well enough. I have worn and do wear worse. An 'ole watch like an 'ole shep who don't know what a mutt he is. It'll serve just as well as another if it keeps time and the sheep in line.

Like others have said; a crown guard trim, a few Watchmaterial.com inserts, a polish and a rebrush. Then go source the next generation. I think the best collections are those that started in the infancy of the 'replica movement' and culminate from years of progress in the genre. I still love my clunky 60 click CN Sub with Miyota movement from '04, meh 99usd. Still wish I had my quartz "Polex" Sub from Pattaya in '87. Oh! What a 'ho she was. :D

Noob or BKmariner or BK WM9 v2 The rehault is well I do not know it is like it tappers or something. Also those are the biggest lines on the face that I have ever seen. I would not put a lot of money into these.

those are STREET quality reps. just buy a n00bmariner for 150 bucks and take it from there.

change the pearl and insert

and youre better off than what youve got now, cheaper in the long run as well than trying to upgrade parts

I did not realise they were so bad <_< , especially the second one. I think I will start with a standard noob (where to order to be sure to have a "real one" with QC ?) as I think a WM9 will be too expensivewith the risk to ruin it in my activities. I do not intend to keep it only in a watch box...

Edited by tonio_fr

the noobmariner IS EXCELLENT, a very awesome looking watch the more you stare at it daily. I do find myself pining for a WM9 tho, the more pronounced crystal height, deeper rehaut and over all larger presence, and perfect date mag. if you can afford it, get it right off the bat. but even with the now aging noobmariner you WONT be disappointed. The noob' is a good starter watch to practise modding on as well.

visit eurotimez for a noobmariner (on this board), and request pics of the very watch you'll be receiving to inspect it for yourself as well.

you can also try the larger contenders like josh and andrew.

any more questions, dont hestitate to post : )

• 5 months later...

Nice Pics

Number one is much better than two but even if you spend time and money on it will never be great, for instance the lug holes are to close to the end of the lugs. As everyone else has said buy a noob. Keep these for beaters.

I think we all have a couple of pre RWG reps that we used to think were great.