When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

from noob to legend - in collections

fotoman

so every once and a while i like to dig out my - "my collection" photo from when i started, 1, to show people who are just starting how far they can come slowly over time with a modest budget - i gradually upgraded over 3 1/2 years

and also to show the difference in rep collecting in the last 3 years

so class - first up Phobands summer 2005 collection

first of all 5 are reps - i'll talk about those, the others are Gen

1. my first ever rep was a blue quartz breitling - as many may have read my holy grail of watches was the blue 2 tone crosswind - of which i now have a franken. It waas that gen that got me looking for reps, and it was this rep that i found. Sometime in 2002. I paid $200 for it, sad to say :) but it was recently donated to another forum member, not sure if he needed to fill cracks in his driveway or what, but he wanted it :)

so you can see the whole reason i started looking for reps go from first purchase to achievement of holy grail. I did spend more time in the rep world back then, i even tried to do website work in exchange for some reps - it never panned out, anyway i had 1 or 2 other rolex reps.

fast forward to 2005, i got back from a cruise while on my travels i got introduced to corum, so i went back and tried to find some corum reps. - thats when i found RWG. things were way different back then, there was no perfect clones, stuff was much more secret, prices were arbitrary stories can be told elsewhere. But i got that corum rep from trusty, my first deal from here. then, soon after i got those 2 rolex reps via RBJ (who ripped me off) and frankly i have no idea where that 111 came from.

over the next few years i bought, sold, upgraded, sold gens - in fact, non of those watches still exist in my world except the citizen. And the real reason it does, is, its too scratched up to sell. I love it, but never have the opportunity to use it. I do sometimes travel with it cause its very reliable.

oldboxkn1.jpg

Right, there is the before - and now, Super Reps, lots of trading up over time and many trials, dealers failures and successes later, we have this

towersmallan0.jpg

plus

un1ii2.jpg

i constantly stare at my collection, and even the photos of it adn can't believe its mine. even if they are reps, they are freaking cool watches. It blows my mind. aand i know there are some equally exciting projects within the next year coming around. I couldn't be happier.

thats just 1 side of teh forum, i have made many friends, learned photography, learned about illeegal watch trade :) learned about movements, custom made leather straps - anyway, my experience here has been unreal.

Feel free to share your before and after photos :)

by the way, i have alot i can offer now in the realm of photo tips based upon things i have learned over the last few years, i am making it a resolution to put that stuff together for a big post based on the "you can to" with "stuff from around the house" concept. Cause i learned from pugs and TTK. - say what you may about TTK but the dude could take soome bad ass photos and i always was looking at how to work up to his level.

ok - nostalgia away :)

Love it! I have to dig up some old photos but you've def. subscribed to the same school of thought RobbieG and I (and many others) do: Quality over Quantity

wish i had robbie G's budget@!!!! :)

but, quality over quantity happens by means of the free market - new rep comes out, only way to afford it is to sell old reps, what do you sell, the ones you like the least.

eventually you are left with reps you only really really like, because by natural selection those made it through the cut.

Great Collection. Man The One Corum Bubble is replica? I havent seen that model replica where u bought or it is gen?

the corum bubble is Gen, got it for $900 new, its quartz though

ken, the old collection has a corum admirals cup competition in the photo that was my trusty watch :)

i did have some rep corums that i did a comparison on - figured since a corum "super rep" is coming out the old stuff doesn't matter as much. We have to wait and see what that rep looks like, crystal doesn't look big enough to me, but it could be the thicker bezel that is makign it look shorter, mine doesn't have a bezel

start.th.jpg

2_4.th.jpg

2_3.th.jpg

Nope, not me either. Looks like someone just played a practical joke on you. :)

Where did you post it originally? Let's move it back.

General discussion - i was hoping more folks would contribute about where they were and where they are with watches :) its a general topic