When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of rep sub crown, tube, and insert compared to gen.

CharlieUK

Hey guys,

don't know if this will help, but I figured I'd make this for the people who may find it useful for whatever WIS reasons that no one else would understand!

However, I must preface that I have seen varying quality of Euromariners in the past few months. Some were great, and others not so great(to say the least!) Some are equipped with different crowns and tubes, so please take that into consideration for this comparison.

Here is the crown.

Not too bad!

Very subtle differences.

dsc0013ow6.jpg

The tube of the crown where the stem screws in is noticeably thicker on the gen. It does accept the rep stem.

dsc0014lu5.jpg

The tubes have obvious differences in design.

dsc0019ab2.jpg

dsc0018co8.jpg

dsc0020dy2.jpg

dsc0021mt5.jpg

enjoy!

It never fails to amaze me how the rep mfrs can install a rep tube in a case w/ no splines to twist the booger in with! When I took my rep tube out of my Euromariner, the tube broke. Luckily I was able to jam a rat tail file in there and remove the threads which were still in the case- after heating the case up to melt the glue! Then I tapped the hole and installed the aftermarket case tube w/o a hitch- I didn't countersink/chamfer the case either before installing the tube and it worked fine.

The nice thing about changing out the case tube is that it gives you the perfect oppurtunity to file down the cg's w/o the tube in your way.

Great comparison, especially the pearl. I think your rep pearl is rather good compared to the ones I've seen.

I'm throwing this pic into the discussion as the "Watchmaterial.com" inserts and pearls seem to be an acceptable standard for 'aftermarket' upgrades. Certainly far and above anything Ofrei has to offer. That is more than likely a redundant satement on this board, but for the sake of 'un-earthing' it aside "Search"......... If there is a 'better', other than gen. alternative, perhaps a member could link the source here. Member 'gioarmani, in a write up on TRC (perhaps here as well?) did state he had found something better doing a Sea Dweller mod, but his link dead-ended in that post........................

The 'Watchmaterial' inserts are numerous and cover latterday, vintage, GMT (in all configurations/color variations), SD, SSD, Sub etc, etc......... They do require some back sanding/inside,outside diameter mods however for some applications................

LV.jpg

LV%20pearl.jpg

^^^as far as research has shown me, the watchmaterial pearl is the best one.

And that is the one in comparison to the gen in my photo!

Next to the gen, the watch material pearl is kinda silly.

I feel embarrassed to have worn my euromariner in public with the eurobezel and the watchmaterial pearl now!

I didn't know what I was missing until I handled a gen!

Granted, the watchmaterial is better than most reps, but, the gen insert with the pearl is worth the $100+ price tag IMO.

One of the biggest tells IMO is the pearl, since it's NEVER been repped that well.

Hey alligoat, did you have to countersink your case?

Do you have a pic to share?

I did not countersink my case- I had a small recess there and the tube fit nicely. I used the aftermarket tube from Faisal Ali- wholesaleoutlet999- down here in Sugar Land, TX. It worked very well for me (unlike most of his parts which have been a disappointment). Sorry, I don't have a pic- my wife lost her camera (heck if she or I know how!)

Gen pearls are definitely worth it- I put a gen insert on my Euromariner. But I also like the watchmaterial pearls- I've used them on the noob cases where you don't want to file down a gen insert (diameter especially) to make it fit the slightly smaller noob bezel- kinda a waste of a perfectly good gen insert, IMO.

^^^^The lord knows I am happy for you but I hate reading these kind of things!

Without modding my genuine insert, it sat really high and would just fall out of the euromariner bezel.

I had to HEAVILY sand down my BRAND NEW gen insert to make it fit.

:(

I tried sanding the bezel first since it is the cheaper part than the gen bezel insert, but I wasn't having much luck removing material from it.

Mind renting out your tap for a week?

;)

As much as I like my Euromariner, I've pretty much concluded that the quality on these babies varies from watch to watch. My insert snapped in, but I was playing w/ it last week and it just popped out. I snapped it back in by hand, but I'm thinking a few drops of glue might not be a bad thing.

I sanded the heck out of the top of the bezel retention ring so that the insert and bezel could sit down correctly on it , but then I failed the WR test miserably- the crystal popped off. I had installed a Clark's crystal -it originally came with a crystal w/ the top and bottom gaskets????

If I could find a gen bezel, I'd give it a try because I already have a spare gen retention ring. This Euromariner has been a frustration for me- it's a good looking watch, but the quality of the bezel assembly just isn't there yet.

Ah yes, I did read the thread with Stilty and you about the retaining ring problem/bezel problem.

To solve the problem of pulling the crystal and retaining ring off, I merrily just removed the bezel and took a file to the retaining ring and worked my way around it.

Sadly, mine was definitely a problem with the bezel preventing the insert from sitting properly.

I'd like to see you acquire a gen bezel to go with the gen ring!

I have been shopping the bay for the gen assemblies, but they are pretty pricey at the moment to say the least!

^^^as far as research has shown me, the watchmaterial pearl is the best one.

And that is the one in comparison to the gen in my photo!

Next to the gen, the watch material pearl is kinda silly.

I feel embarrassed to have worn my euromariner in public with the eurobezel and the watchmaterial pearl now!

I didn't know what I was missing until I handled a gen!

Granted, the watchmaterial is better than most reps, but, the gen insert with the pearl is worth the $100+ price tag IMO.

One of the biggest tells IMO is the pearl, since it's NEVER been repped that well.

MmmK Charlie, I was a little behind the curve here..................I take it Chris ships his Euromariner with the Watchmaterial insert upgrade as standard or as option?

I did think the 'rep' pearl in the comparison better than usual 'rep factory' but agree with the point you made; "...........obscures the triangle on the lower point...........". Towit, it seems not all Watchmaterial inserts are created equal with regard. The example I posted is not as 'low' on the marker as yours. I have heard other complaints from members to 'offset' or 'crooked' pearls from Watchmaterial (caveat).................

Certainly any gen. accoutrement that can be incorporated will enhance the 'replica' and/or any upgrade that improves the intrinsic state can be appreciated. And yet, is still 'replica'. I would never be embarrassed to sport any replica that is to any small degree toward 'genuine' in public. I out all my watches as 'fake' if I get any comment whatsoever, even if I am certain the person taking notice is completely fooled.

"Modding" is a fascinating facet to this hobby, but it is a tightrope walked by those who insist on it to render a replica something other than what it is; 'fake'.

MmmK Charlie, I was a little behind the curve here..................I take it Chris ships his Euromariner with the Watchmaterial insert upgrade as standard or as option?

I did think the 'rep' pearl in the comparison better than usual 'rep factory' but agree with the point you made; "...........obscures the triangle on the lower point...........". Towit, it seems not all Watchmaterial inserts are created equal with regard. The example I posted is not as 'low' on the marker as yours. I have heard other complaints from members to 'offset' or 'crooked' pearls from Watchmaterial (caveat).................

Certainly any gen. accoutrement that can be incorporated will enhance the 'replica' and/or any upgrade that improves the intrinsic state can be appreciated. And yet, is still 'replica'. I would never be embarrassed to sport any replica that is to any small degree toward 'genuine' in public. I out all my watches as 'fake' if I get any comment whatsoever, even if I am certain the person taking notice is completely fooled.

"Modding" is a fascinating facet to this hobby, but it is a tightrope walked by those who insist on it to render a replica something other than what it is; 'fake'.

I like your viewpoint and I can totally understand.

However, my watch is a hobby.

My enjoyment comes from modding the watch towards a genuine article, not the intent of trying to fool people.

I love the details and am fascinated by them, and this hobby give me a great way to appreciate those details.

I love the genuine articles, but they are not very interactive. There is nothing for me to do with them besides wear them and appreciate them.

So I enjoy my rep for a different reason....it's my frankenstien....something I built.

It is more a working and wearable piece of art that is a reflection of my efforts to strive for perfection and dedication to creating the piece.

And these are things that I see as a sign of respect for the hobby.

warm regards,

:)

There is nothing for me to do with them besides wear them and appreciate them.

:1a:

Absolutely brilliant and well said! This should be 'pinned' at the top of the "Modifications and Upgrades" sub-forum. A mantra or watchword (pun intended :D ). You are certainly in the best company of the most creative people on this board in regard.

The rest of us? Either in denial, or too ham handed for the task more the likely. :lol:

Cheers!