When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pics of MBW 1680

ifly65

Yesterday was like x-mas again when USPS delivered my new MBW 1680. This is my first MBW. It is far superior to the other rollie reps I own. I am very pleased with the quality. It has a Genuine Swiss ETA (according to Chris from Eurotimez's info about how to spot a gen ETA).

The bracelet is much better than I expected. The dial is clean. The crown has perfect feel at all stops, including the threads at lock down. The bezel is a bit tight. The pearl is very nice.

After purchasing my first three reps: A cheapy ST6D TT, a Trusty asian eta 1665 and a ladies DJ asian eta. I was wondering what the big deal with reps were. Now I know. You get what you pay for. I am very pleased with this purchase :)

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

That was fun. It is a great watch. Does any dealer do these 1680's in a "white" dial? Having a "Red Sub" is, well, rare...................

When I sourced my 1680 rep, uh, during the Paleolithic era if I recall correctly, a fellow member dropped this site on me as a reference page. Purdy much a must have link for the "vintage Rolex Diver" set...................

REDWATCHES

Cheers!

That was fun. It is a great watch. Does any dealer do these 1680's in a "white" dial? Having a "Red Sub" is, well, rare...................

When I sourced my 1680 rep, uh, during the Paleolithic era if I recall correctly, a fellow member dropped this site on me as a reference page. Purdy much a must have link for the "vintage Rolex Diver" set...................

REDWATCHES

Cheers!

Thanks Demsey for the fun link! Im not aware of a white dial version from MBW. I actually bought this from a forum member mint/never worn '07 version. You might ask Chris at Eurotimez. He seems to know alot about MBW and Noobs.

Nice watch and as some members already said let the modding begin.

Mine is in the middle of a modding process at the moment.

If possible i would like to see some movement shots and the printing between the lugs just to see if it's the same as mine.

Mine , not supplied by Chirs , has a copied ETA movement :( . For the rest it's OK.

Wear it well

Carpe Diem

Cats

Just to get you going - and to throw a cat amongst the pidgeons - Take a look at Ofrei Illumes Pearls, they are much better than the MBW and would transform this watch :D

Sweet....thanks dieselpower! Ill take a look.

Thanks everyone!

Nice watch and as some members already said let the modding begin.

Mine is in the middle of a modding process at the moment.

If possible i would like to see some movement shots and the printing between the lugs just to see if it's the same as mine.

Mine , not supplied by Chirs , has a copied ETA movement :( . For the rest it's OK.

Wear it well

Carpe Diem

Cats

I actually scored this piece from a forum member mint-unworn, not Chris. He claims it is an '07 MBW.

If you look at this ETA comparison: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=76100 my ETA looks exactly like the GEN eta on the left. It has many holes in the gold gears, and a brushed big silver gear. I instantly noticed that It has a better fit and finish than other ETAs Ive owned. I was surprised to see one...I feel lucky!

Ill try to post pics soon. Im waiting for a macro lens. I dont have the tool to put the springbars back. After my nine hour ordeal with a trusty 1665 trying to get the springbars back on, Im afraid... :o Im thinking watch school.

WOW!

Amazing pics mate!

What camera are you shooting with?

I am truly impressed!

(oh, and nice watch too!)

wear it well!

Thank you CharlieUK! I use a Canon 10D DSLR with a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens with a Tamron 2x converter. For lighting I use one light source, a scrim tented flourescent reflector.

Remember...light is an arrow. Less is better when it comes to lighting. When setting up a shot, inches/mm's can make or break the angle of attack from the viewfinder and light source. For hot spots, I use gobbos (black duct tape in strips attached to the scrim or black cards on stands).

I used to be a pro shooter for advertising including Famous Barr, Budweiser Indy Racing, RC boat magazine..etc. My gear mainly consist of L series Canon lenses for sports and outdoors (300 4.0L, 80-200 2.8L both too much lens for watches). I hope to buy a nice Canon Macro lens soon, because of this hobby :)

Photoshop skills are important also for exposure/color correction and dust removal.

Watches are tough to shoot because of reflections, dust and finger prints. Its alot like working on watches...if you arent in the mood to take your time, you probably shouldnt take pictures until you are.

Great reps thrill me.

Great reps in awesome photos thrill me even more.

Thats super nice of you to say. This is how I feel about shooting watches. The details are awesome when viewed in picture form.

There are so many great photographers on this site. I am impressed. Not often do you find a hobby that 'makes' people want to become better photographers because of that specific hobby...how cool huh?

Thanks vlydog!!!

fantastic photo's and with regards to the movement I bought a double red mbw from a member of this board for modding and when I removed the movement I saw straight away that it was not a genuine eta movement and for me thats not a problem as I have a new 2846 21 jewel movement to go into the finished watch, I remember when you bought the mbw a few years ago from Maria you got a 2846 movement with the watch and that was how the price of the watch was high, now I suppose the price is high because of the modding capabilities.

@ ifly65,

taking of the braclet on a model where you can touch the springbars from the outside is real easy.

I always use a toothpick , so you can't damage the case , and push them out of the lughole.

Putting it back into place is also very easy . Put one side of the springbar into the hoel and place the other end against the back of the case.

The pick up the same toothpick push in the springbar and gently push the psringbar in between the lugs "voila"

My MBW shows 1680 as typenumber and the serial L342295 another "new" thing is that the lugholes are almost 2 mm which is also the case with yours if i'm not mistaken.

Some members told me that they have never seen this combination of type and serial number let alone the bigger lugholes.

I'm really interested how your MBW is between the lugs.

Carpe Diem

Cats

@ ifly65,

taking of the braclet on a model where you can touch the springbars from the outside is real easy.

I always use a toothpick , so you can't damage the case , and push them out of the lughole.

Putting it back into place is also very easy . Put one side of the springbar into the hoel and place the other end against the back of the case.

The pick up the same toothpick push in the springbar and gently push the psringbar in between the lugs "voila"

Carpe Diem

Cats

Cats, thanks for the info. I like the toothpick tip! I have a trusty 1665 with lug holes. The lug holes are worthless on the 1665. Removing and attaching them 'should' be real easy, however the 1665 lug holes are drilled so far 'off' from alignment, that I had to bend the springbars to put it back together (Ive read about others having the same issues with reps). If I had the proper springbar tool, It wouldnt have taken me so long to re-assemble. Putting them back on is what concerns me when removing the springbars...oh yeah, and having them 'fling' across the room, or worse yet, bend and break.

When I look at the lugholes on my Trusty 1665 closely, they are drilled way too far 'outside' towards the top edge of the case (almost off the edge of the case).

The MBW 1680 lugholes look much better. They are centered properly.

Ill let you know what I find out.

Nice watch, and great pics!

I've been away from the forum for a little while busy with other stuff, but it's good to sign back on and read a great thread like yours. From my experience you've got a nice later model dial with a "more correct" font red lettering.

Like my friend RG said, have fun with the modding, as it can be addictive (and expensive!)

Cheers,

JJ

@ ifly65,

My MBW shows 1680 as typenumber and the serial L342295 another "new" thing is that the lugholes are almost 2 mm which is also the case with yours if i'm not mistaken.

Some members told me that they have never seen this combination of type and serial number let alone the bigger lugholes.

I'm really interested how your MBW is between the lugs.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Here you go Cats! My close up lens really sucks...sorry.

First the 'nice' lume...for about 5 seconds:

IMG_0957.jpg

Is this a true 'Polex'?:

IMG_0955.jpg

Here are those numbers Cats, gotta love the 420:

IMG_0954.jpg

This shows the brushed large silver gear with the polished smaller silver gear:

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

There are more holes in the small gold gears:

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg