When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to buy?

mrl0004

So I have bought a replica submariner about 2 yrs ago for 250USD, and the "stainless steel" is already starting to rust. Not to mention it feels like cheap composite metal rather than solid stainless steel. So my question is, where can I get a good quality one? I would not spend more than 200-250USD again, but I need to know that its a solid watch. Any help?

As luck would have it you have landed right smack bang in the center of Rep heaven, however as my friends above have mentioned you need to start doing a fair bit of reading to acquaint yourself with what you have found.

Welcome to RWG

Ken

Use the search button for particular models or makes of watches you like. Read as much as you can about those watches that the older members (or should I say longer standing members) have kindly provided over the years.

There are forums for each of the different dealers or 'collectors' as they are known, read through them, see what people have to say about them good and bad.

It's all there waiting for you bud, dive on in!

It's a bit odd that a forum which seems to pride itself on being friendly and helpful can't supply a straight answer to what is after all the most obvious question likely to be asked by a new member. No don't answer that, I dare say if I read the forums ECT ECT I will find the answer!!!

Edited by buckstone62

It's a bit odd that a forum which seems to pride itself on being friendly and helpful can't seem supply a straight answer to what is after all is the most obvious question likely to be asked by new members. No don't answer, that a dare say if I read the forums ECT ECT I will find the answer.

We're trying to answer your question, which when you start doing your research, you will learn is probably the worst question to ask on a watch forum. People are being friendly...which is more than these types of queries usually get.

The short answer: You get the best reps from the Internet

The long answer:

• Where you should buy depends on a number of factors
  • Where are you located? Certain countries have shipping restrictions so you need to choose your dealer appropriately
  • What do you mean by best rep? Best out of the box? Best potential to take genuine parts?
  • All have flaws. What are your priorities to avoid flaws? Datewheels? Movement reliability? Dial fonts? Crown guard shape?
  • Are you interested in best value...or the best rep? The best rep will be 99% genuine and cost you thousands...the best value will cost $100 with shipping.
  • There are many more questions to consider

Your question is a loaded question with not enough details which is why nobody is giving you an answer. We don't know your experience with watches other than that you bought what appears to be a high priced, low quality rep and don't want to spend the same if you don't have to...but we don't know how much a stickler you are for detailed accuracy...what you consider priorities in a rep...your ability to maintain them/upgrade them...whether or not your rep was an automatic or quartz...your experience with automatic watches...chronographs...etc.

Read my Noob Guide linked in my signature, and you'll get a much better understanding of the questions to ask and what to look for...including links to the dealers and reviews of them. People are extremely helpful here...but they don't spoon feed.

We're trying to answer your question, which when you start doing your research, you will learn is probably the worst question to ask on a watch forum. People are being friendly...which is more than these types of queries usually get.

The long answer:

• Where are you located? Certain countries have shipping restrictions so you need to choose your dealer appropriately
  • What do you mean by best rep? Best out of the box? Best potential to take genuine parts?
  • All have flaws. What are your priorities to avoid flaws? Datewheels? Movement reliability? Dial fonts? Crown guard shape?
  • Are you interested in best value...or the best rep? The best rep will be 99% genuine and cost you thousands...the best value will cost $100 with shipping.

Your question is a loaded question with not enough details which is why nobody is giving you an answer. We don't know your experience with watches other than that you bought what appears to be a high priced, low quality rep and don't want to spend the same if you don't have to...but we don't know how much a stickler you are for detailed accuracy...what you consider priorities in a rep...your ability to maintain them/upgrade them...whether or not your rep was an automatic or quartz...your experience with automatic watches...chronographs...etc.

Read my Noob Guide linked in my signature, and you'll get a much better understanding of the questions to ask and what to look for...including links to the dealers and reviews of them. People are extremely helpful here...but they don't spoon feed.

Thanks Toad. "We dont spoon feed". :good: I like that, may I use that sometime? :D

the journey is part of the process. - reality is, if you want a sub, and thats it, one and done, pm me, i'll tell you where to go. no worries

if your interested in watches, pull up a chair, strap yourself in and get ready for the ride of your life :)

trust us, its worth it, all in time, all in time :)

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and the first I did was look for links to websites, I assumed there would just be a page of them. But I couldn't find them, so I was thinking what hell is going, but with a bit of digging I soon found what I was looking. Now guess I'm going to have to do a bit of reading :rolleyes:

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and the first I did was look for links to websites, I assumed there would just be a page of them. But I couldn't find them, so I was thinking what hell is going, but with a bit of digging I soon found what I was looking. Now guess I'm going to have to do a bit of reading :rolleyes:

This is how it is for everybody who comes here. We all have to take the first steps ourselves. Cheers

The long answer:

Toad nails it on the head...again! His links are a must read and very helpful. Enjoy this awesome place. I am relatively new too. There are many friendly members on here like Phoband, Southwest, CharlieUK, By-Tor and Toad. Just to mention a few. RWG was my first forum and IMHO the best. Also check out RWI and RepGeek...most of us are members on a few different sites.

If you think you are going to like this...please become a 'supporter'. This site saved me $800.00+ in a scam waiting to happen, when I considered ordering from Bluefakes before I found RWG. The memberships are nearly free if you consider the benefits.

Have fun!

Now, THAT was a good answer. See, it wasn't so difficult. Your reply didn't just say "use the search function" you took the time to explain why certain questions asked simply don't have a straight answer. That's really good and sounds much more friendly.

The long answer: