When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680 or not ?

Cats

OK guys,

I promised to give you an update after the weekend.

My "MBW 1680 RED " was compared with a 100% genuine ( sounds silly ) MBW 1680 RED last Sunday.

The case of my MBW is slightly bigger than the 100% gen MBW.

The gap between the crown guards on both cases are almost the same :(

The one on top is the 100% gen MBW

cats7.jpg

cats9.jpg

The bezel construction is completely different from the 100% gen MBW.

The retaining ring is too high which causes that the insert keeps popping out.

The bezel washer is of a kind which we have never seen before in a MBW.

Even the Clarks bezel washer which fits perfectly on a MBW doesn't fit and has to be modified.

The dial is of a poor copied quality , the experts say that the coronet is way off compared to other MBW dials.

I will get some better pictures next weekend but this is picture which i took some time ago.

IMG_3191.jpg

Long story short I ordered a MBW and got this watch delivered as a MBW.

My opinion , and I'm not the only one , is that this a copy of a MBW.

I contacted the collector who sold me this watch but he doesn't want to solve anything if fact he told me he wasn't able to check it.

So be careful when you by a MBW .

Carpe Diem

Cats

@ Tribal and Stephane,

i agree that after some "extra" modding jobs it will look great. ( still have to find a decent dial for it :angry: )

And the fake ETA is also a problem ( i have to admit that the collector never claimed that he sold it with a gen ETA movement )

My problem is that when i order and buy a MBW i want a MBW and not a copie.

I paid way too much for this copie and i also have to pay for all the extra parts and hours of modding.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Any chance that you might disclose to us just who you got this watch from? It may sound silly discussing "a rep of a rep", but as I have said before, alot of folks are willing to pay hundreds more for a watch depending on how/what is advertised :rtfm: . Now that I see a pic of how it was when you received it, it does not look like what we normally see for a MBW/MBK. Maybe there are some changes in the newer reps comming out of that factory, maybe not. I only hope you can get proper resolution to your situation.

Sorry to hear of all of this cats, please keep us posted.

sc68

I've been thinking a long time if I should go public with the name of the collector who sold me this FAKE MBW/MBK.

Several respected/expert members told me this is a FAKE MBW/MBK so that makes the decision a bit easier.

The main reason why I hesitated is that I can't imagine that he, of whom I bought several watches, sold this FAKE MBW. On the other hand he has a lot of knowledge/experience and posts his opinion in several threads so the lug engraving should have been a hint even without opening the case.

I bought this FAKE MBW/MBK from NARIKAA

He even posted in a topic of mine, on the engravings of a MBW/MBK, that the one and only MBW/MBK 1680 has the 5513 engraving.

The first MBW/MBK had the 5513 engravings but had a rotor which was hitting against the case clamp screws and didn't auto wind for that reason.

He took it back on a trip to Thailand and I got a brand new one, with 1680 engravings.

I can't prove that he was aware of the fact that this was a FAKE MBW/MBK so I'm not going to accuse him of scamming me.

The main issues and frustration is that if I order a MBW/MBK and want a MBW/MBK.

I explained everything to him and asked what to do next. I want bother this forum with a lot of allegations like why didn

I guess the unfortunate thing is that Narikaa was sold a fake MBW. But I sure don't know what you can do at this point, especially if your modder has already started working on it.

Don't know if you got the watch back to Narikaa, if he could return it to the guy at MBK and get the money back or not. Reminds me of buying bad drugs- once the money's gone, it's gone. You ain't getting it back.

Good luck, I hope you're able to work something out.

Sorry again Cats.

One comment: how the hell can Narkikaa say what you copy here. :o

If the watch is bought from that MBK store we all know about now, it must be an MBK/MBW, not a copy of copy.

And if it is, well then he should know it as he told me once MBK was his supplier at the origin and he was the one who passed the info to TTK for example.

I'm very surprised and disappointed about his reaction with you.

Thanks for sharing with the community.

Stephane

Stephane,

i also don't understand how Narikaa got a fake MBW/MBK from the guy in the MBK center ( i left out the name of the guy )

I would be very disappointed if he knew it was a FAKE MBW/MBK but to be honest i can't believe didn't.

His response , and i left out a lot of crap , is disappointing and cheap.

My PM box isn't blocked for Narikaa so he knows were to find me.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Dear Catz

Why not be open & honest with the community

I have bent over backwards with you (replacing when in fact you had already voided any warranty imaginable, ordering a new movement spacer - because experts told you it was missing - when any fool could see/ know it wasnt)

And now that youve painted me into a corner complaining about something I can do zero about you feel slighted. If you felt the item to be unsatisfactory I could have taken steps to remedy B E F O R E the passage of months, B E F O R E your amatuer moddification attempts, B E F O R E passing it out of your control for others to open, tinker with, and change from what was shipped to you.

Dear Narikaa,

i have been open from the first word onwards and will always be.

I read my first post again were i stated clearly that i bought a watch during the Summer which had problems with the noicy rotor and didn't auto wind.

BTW this was a GEN MBW/MBK as , you wrote your selve in a post of mine , because it had the one and only 5513 engraving.

Yes as i told this forum you did a hell of a job and changed the MBW for this piece i have now ( even left a feedback in our trade review section )

I honestly don't know when i got the second FAKE MBW from you but it was one week after you came back form your latest trip. ( i assume you are still in Thailand at the moment so i mena the trip in Q4 2008 )

I also told this community and you that i didn't wear the second MBW/MBK a lot because the guy who was going to do the modds didn't have the time to do it.

A few things drew his attention after he opened the watch.

If you look back in this post you can clearly see that the movement spacer ring is missing .

And yes i'm no expert and i expect a collector to be one.

You totally ignore all the facts about engraving bezel construction spacer ring etc and the answers and opinions of all the members , or do you consider them also as amatuers.

The only thing you try to do is find a , what you think of as a , weak spot and focus on that to draw the attention away from the real subject "THE FAKE MBW/MBK"

It's increadible that you accuse me and the modder of tinkering with the watch and changing it.

Is this the true NARIKAA we see here ??.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Narikaa i took a closer look to the PM i got from my modder and the picture.

You are right there is a movement spacer ring.

He did wrote to me a "movement holder " was missing.

Agree my stupid mistake.

So that simple issue is solved.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thanks to all who contributed in solving the GEN or NOT question

Even Narikaa told us that the one and only MBW 16080 has the 5513 engravings

This subject is closed IMHO

In the reply of Narikaa he said why aren't you open and honest to this community.

This "painfull" remark kept me thinking for the last 24 hours.

I decided to post all the PM's related to this subject in his trade review section.

It's a lenghty story but show that i din't keep any information behind my back nor that i'm dishonest.

In a way i feel sorry that i had to do this but if people accuse me of being dishonest the cross a line that they shouldn't have crossed.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Only to solve the mystery and break a lance for Naarika....

I received a MBK 1680 for repair today...

It looks the same than yours.....

So maybe MBK changed the production line of his MBK Vintage Rollies?!?

It has the same Dial,Case;Bezel washer, etc....

Also the engravings are the same....

The watch came not from Reg.....

So I don't think Reg scammed you.......

Only to solve the mystery and break a lance for Naarika....

I received a MBK 1680 for repair today...

It looks the same than yours.....

So maybe MBK changed the production line of his MBK Vintage Rollies?!?

It has the same Dial,Case;Bezel washer, etc....

Also the engravings are the same....

The watch came not from Reg.....

So I don't think Reg scammed you.......

Oh, well, what can we say. That is a very important information Trib'.

Thanks a lot for sharing with the community.

Dear Reg,

Tribal posted that he received a MBW1680 for repair which looked identical to the one you provided me.

IMO Tribal is an expert on Rolex. So it is possible that MBW changed the casing , bezel washer, dial etc. compared to the former model.

Given the facts I can't say or claim that the watch you sold to me is not a MBW and I want to APOLOGIZE for giving this community the wrong impression.

I hope you will accept it.

Carpe Diem

Cats

• 2 weeks later...

Having just changed the crystal and bezel insert on an older MBW 1665 last week, I can confirm that the "MBW" 1680 does not have a 1:1 bezel assembly. The bezel is sloped, like a Panerai bezel. The washer is dish shaped like the photos by the OP. This is why a gen insert needs to be glued in. I think a gen bezel retainer ring would fit (maybe not?), but the washer would also have to be changed, and then who knows if the bezel ring itself would even snap over the top.

Not good. No longer 1:1, so what's the point?

One thing I immediatly noticed when I saw the first Eurotimz photos of his MBW 5512 and 5513 was that the lug holes appeared much larger than my MBW 1680 or 1665 which I bought 3-4 years ago from TTK. Perhaps all the MBW have been altered OR perhaps the source in BK is now buying the REP MBW from China and passing them along as true MBW? Do they all now come with asian copy eta movements also?

They are making reps of rep watches....incredible.

Just came back from a holiday with my family to the land of Mickey Mouse near Paris.

One of the these days my 1680 RED will arrive after some serious and costly modifiactions.

One thing is 100% shure this isn't the MBW 1680 as it was 1 year ago.

Certainly the bezel construction is like Mickey Mouse would have made it.

The guy who modded my watch sanded down the retainingring and ordered a new bezel washer but still you nedd both hands to turn the bezel.

The gen insert sit's very poorly in the bezel so i aked him to glue it in.

Not to speek of the fact that it came with a fake ETA , very poor dial etc etc etc.

If this is the new MBW then it's certainly not a improvement.

I will post some pics if my modded 1680 RED with a very special dial when i got it.

Carpe Diem

Cats