When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron from SIHH

RobbieG

Yeah no kidding. The movement finishing is just amazing. I'll be happy to score the little handwind basic model which are actually quite reasonable compared to the "wheelbarrow" money for the complications.

You know for a while I was on a Lange kick thinking they were superior and don't get me wrong, they are amazing for sure. But from speaking with a lot of high level watchmakers in the past month or so and seeing lots of pics and studying more high end brands in person I have come to the conclusion that Vacheron, Patek and AP all have the same level of finish as Lange. In fact, I had a watchmaker locally who worked at VC for 15 years tell me that Lange only finished what you see to that level, but VC finishes all the parts to that level. No matter really as they are all nice, but one thing is for sure and that is that you pay a big premium for Lange over Vacheron and Patek and I know now there is no reason for that. I also happen to not care for the way the untreated German silver in the Lange movements ages into that brown/gold patina.

I have given a lot of thought to my collection and only having what I need and can wear and the only thing missing is a fine dress watch. Then I'm done, other than rotating new watches in and out in any category if I get bored or something new comes along that I think I would rather have - but it won't grow. No adds without a subtraction. Six watches is just enough to cover everything I could ever want to cover in my world. I know that it will be the single most expensive piece in the collection, but it is a relief to know it won't be as expensive as something from Lange - and I don't really love the German designs as much as the Swiss high end designs I discovered. Plus at 40k for the Lange I wanted I honestly don't want to think about justifying how to afford it. That is just a lot of money and I'm not a wealthy guy really.

I also wanted something simple so it was going to be between a Patek Calatrava and a Vacheron Patrimony of some kind, but I think I'm sold on the VC handwind in WG. I've got a nice but modest little collection now and I am very grateful for that, but I am looking forward to owning something really, really exceptional one day. I did for a bit when I had the Millenary, but the design was too limiting and goofy. But something happens to you when you hold one of these higher end pieces - even a really simple two hand piece that is hard to describe. They are like heirlooms or something. When you pick these things up you are just saying to yourself - wow, I don't know if I have ever held anything this nice or well made. Kind of blows you away. Anyway, thanks for sharing and by all means, if there is something you think I should consider and have missed on my simplistic dress watch quest - let me know.

Patrimony Traditionnelle Perpetual Calendar Chronograph :wub:

Yeah that is the one. Although who knows on the pricing. The Malte cased Perpetual Calendar Chrono lists for 147K. I need to get some more money under management to start affording pieces like that. A lot more. I'm still of the opinion that a watch can't cost more than a car unless you get so rich it doesn't matter and a new 997 Turbo nicely fitted is right around there. Hmmm...