When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My vintage 3646 Kampfschwimmer "Heinz Pape"

Clint Eastwood

Hello,

I have just achieve my last project, making an exact replica of a gen 3646 with history.

I choose to reproduce the one of Heinz Pape, a kampfschwimmer during world war two, 1944-45.

I realy like this model, with the sterile dial with indices turn in orange color, with some cracks.

Pics of the Heinz Pape one :

364617.jpg

36468.jpg

364615.jpg

364619.jpg

The case is a standart rep case from ebay, i removed lugs, make new lugs, slimmed the case, soldered lugs and also the screw tube, plexi are changed with a new one domed plexi.

CIMG2640-1.jpg

CIMG2636-1.jpg

Crown are engraved and mod to look molded.

I have work a lot to reproduce exactly the same dial, so i do the same color on same indices and numerals, some are more clear than other who have cracks on it like the 3, 6, 9 and 2.

Indice are filled with orange dye resin, cracks added after.

The indice are shiny like gen with a very little matt finish.

Kampf1.jpg

The hands are gold ones, more long than the standart blue ones from a cali rep; so i have mod it, added a middle bar for the hour hand, and paint it in black (instead of flamed blue because impossible to reproduce correctly, and some gen vinatge have black hands like this), after used and vintagesed with some rust.

Actualy only a standart unitas on it, after i will put on it the cortebert i have i new condition, when i will have the correct hands for it and a new more long winding stem as mine is too short.

Here the pics :

P1010818.jpg

P1010821.jpg

Kampf2.jpg

P1010813.jpg

P1010810.jpg

P1010805.jpg

P1010808.jpg

P1010806.jpg

P1010802.jpg

P1010800.jpg

P1010797.jpg

P1010791.jpg

P1010793.jpg

P1010795.jpg

P1010787.jpg

P1010773.jpg

P1010778.jpg

P1010770.jpg

P1010772.jpg

And with his big brother:

P1010814.jpg

P1010815.jpg

Let me know your comments :)

ANSOME WORKS, superb lug very well done to be perfectly rounded, and the new crystal you instal WOOW really looks like genuine or really really near.

please can you tel us what you do to make the lugs like you do. size of the rod,welded with ?...ect.

felicitation I LOVED.

What kind of movement you want to put on this beauty ? CORTEBERT,MOLNIJA,...ect

ANSOME WORKS, superb lug very well done to be perfectly rounded, and the new crystal you instal WOOW really looks like genuine or really really near.

please can you tel us what you do to make the lugs like you do. size of the rod,welded with ?...ect.

felicitation I LOVED.

What kind of movement you want to put on this beauty ? CORTEBERT,MOLNIJA,...ect

I have made the lugs from a kitchen whip(i dont be sure if it 's the correct word for it in english, the tool you use to mix when you cook) , because it's the only one where i find stainless steel this one are 2.0mm in diameter but all other i find are only 1.6mm; it's hard to find a correct one.

I bend it by hand using a plier, very strong work :D

It's hard to do the good shape.

Movement will be a cortebert i have , i absolutely new condition, but i need to find the correct blues hands, and a new winding stem because mine is too short.

Thanks Clint .

Your finition on the lugs are pretty sur, like the gen one..the welded looks very well made and the finition to. Do you replate the case? rodhium or ??because the finition is top one.

And the BIG QUESTION can you made some commande like if i ask you to do one ,NARURALLY AT YOUR PRICE ? Because I can do some workd and some modification on my watches, but I never welded any metal and looks very professional.So in case you can take 1 order I am interested. just let me know how much I can send you with the case ?.

I think a good rep vintaage radiomir with this well welded lugs is something to do.for all vintage radiomir lover.

serge

Doesn't get any better. You're a great addition to the community - it's rare to see people so open with information and willing to share their knowledge - your advice has really helped me with some of my projects, and I can't wait to see the next project that you decide to take on!

Doesn't get any better. You're a great addition to the community - it's rare to see people so open with information and willing to share their knowledge - your advice has really helped me with some of my projects, and I can't wait to see the next project that you decide to take on!

I have to second what RMcS says ....not only is this watch truly a fusion of art and passion , but Clint Eastwood is a highly talented craftsman and a gentleman with a genuine "Old School" attitude to this hobby.

I am yet to post some photos of the watch that I received back from Clint last week, work is just not letting up at the moment , but suffice to say I am honoured , lucky and humbled to be the proud new owner of my 616 powered 6152.

All of that said , great respect is due to other the long standing vintage Panerai "artists" , RMcSherry , Madasboot and VDB to name the few I am grateful too.

Without these gents my first step back to the 1940's would not have been possible and I am fortunate to have met them through the incredible forum RWG continues to be.

All the best

FGD

Special thanks to R. , S. and V. , you can always count on my help as you help me a lot to achieve perfectly some of my projects; without RMC, i will never have the perfect cutoms engraved dials, without FGD, it will be impossible to find an absolutely correct GPF buckle, and dadog make the perfect ring for vintage movement, and madasboot make the correct plexi and...(you know what M.... ^_^ )

But the best is the contacts i now have with this members, it's realy a nice community :D

When possible i am happy to explain, how do it, the real clue is "take your time" ; 2 years back i knew nothing, even don't know how open a case or how remove hands.

So i think all member her can do it if they take the appropriate time for each step of vintage making.

Chronozen, the case is not replated, only polished, before i use a silicon polishing disk on a dremel, after i use polish past and hands.

The soldered look like the case in real, you only notice it on pics, but in real it's like invisible