When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all cars! Officer Spidey7 needs assistance. Suspect is a Rose Gold Patek "Calatrava". Please advise.

Spidey7

Ok all, I'm humbly pleading for your help here.

For starters, PLEASE let's all just stow it with the usual "Why don't you 1) Use the search. 2) Read the posts. 3) Investigate the watch." blah, blah, blah. I am not a little n00by anymore (NOW I'm a Teen00by) and I HAVE done all of that. The bottom line seems to be that it is damn near impossible to find a decent Patek "Calatrava". Other than the "Nautilus" and "Aquanaut", everything else seems to be much harder to find. I read Emuozz's excellent guide to Pateks, but although it did a good job explaining what was WRONG with the "Calatravas" at the time that it was written, it didn't really mention what the better/best versions to buy were.

My immediate problem is that a very good friend of mine wants to buy a Patek Rep for his Dad as a 60th birthday present and I foolishly volunteered to procure one for him with out knowing ANYTHING about Patek. I guess I just figured "How hard could it be?". BIG mistake! Now he's counting on me to come through, and I'm stuck.

I've read every thread. I've written e-mails to Josh, Andrew, and Pam111. And I've done a hell of a lot of research. Who knew that this retardedly simple little watch would be so FRACKING hard to find? ($@#%&#@^#%)

Andrew has a solid gold $1,700+ one listed on his site, but he tells me that it's not available anymore. Josh tells me that there isn't anything "1:1" available (btw, does "1:1" refer to the scale/size of the watch? or is "1:1" a quick way of saying "identical to a gen"?). I still haven't heard anything back from Pam111.

It's such a SIMPLE design! I'm downright AMAZED that this is turning out to be sooooooooooo difficult.

Sooooo anywhoooo, His dad has always been a HUGE Patek fan (but will never be able to afford to realize that dream). My friend REALLY wants to be able to give his dad the nicest, most accurate "Calatrava" available (preferably in rose gold & with Roman numerals). Now that I've foolishly committed myself to getting one for him I find that I must beg those of you that are more knowledgeable on Pateks to give me some guidance. If the thought of my friend crying doesn't do it for you, then how about the thought of his poor dad, broken and bereft of all hope on his 60th birthday (and if THAT doesn't do it, how about the thought of me wearing something hot, lacy and revealing? I'll send you pics. Honest! I promise).

Once again, if this helps, PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :please: (sad little puppy dog eyes)

I've read every thread. I've written e-mails to Josh, Andrew, and Pam111. And I've done a hell of a lot of research. Who knew that this retardedly simple little watch would be so FRACKING hard to find? ($@#%&#@^#%)

Andrew has a solid gold $1,700+ one listed on his site, but he tells me that it's not available anymore. Josh tells me that there isn't anything "1:1" available (btw, does "1:1" refer to the scale/size of the watch? or is "1:1" a quick way of saying "identical to a gen"?). I still haven't heard anything back from Pam111.

It's such a SIMPLE design! I'm downright AMAZED that this is turning out to be sooooooooooo difficult.

Have you tried the Search feature? Just kidding...

I know...these ultra-simple designs are so hard to find accurately. I find it the same with PAMS: take the simplest overall watch design in the world...and screw up the rep manufacturing things with little details like the wrong "A" font or inconsistent font usage, low cannon pinion, etc. THEN, take a watch with 50,000X as many pieces like the Ulysse Nardin rep...and do a great job on it (whether or not you like the design is a different matter).

When/If you find it...make sure to do a review!! Good luck.

Yeah, I know. Movement issues are the main reason. All the best Calas are display backs and they just don't look right without the movement being right which of course it never is. I seem to remember some solid backed ones - or at least hinged back ones that used to be around. Personally, most Patek do nothing for me except two which are the classic, two handed hobnail cased wonders that every man should have as a fine dress watch - a 3520 or a 5120. The problem is what handwind movement could be used in a rep when the case is 32MM and in the case of the auto 5120 what auto movement would look reasonable without a micro rotor? Oh well, I hope you find something with a closed back that works for you...

Believe me- I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but I've been in the same boat. I had the same question- it's so simple, why is it so hard to find a rep? The answer is that because it's so simple, there's nothing to distract you from the fact that it's a rep- i.e. crap. What makes a Patek a Patek is that they use the highest quality materials available and assemble the parts perfectly. Meanwhile, the proportions are PERFECT. Do you have any idea how hard it is to replicate perfection? It can't be done. I've searched for years for a good, simple dress watch. I ended up spending several thousand dollars on a gen (or two). There just aren't any good rep dress watches.

Sorry dude- best bet is to tell your friend you were wrong- as hard as that is to do.

Amen. You have just summed up why my bank account is always hammered and I could have bought a pre-owned Ferrari with the money I have sunk into this hobby in the last 20 years...

And regarding the Calatrava in particular no truer words have been spoken. If you ever just hold the simplest 3520 or 5120 with the plain two handed dial, you literally just stand there in awe with your jaw open and it is the easiest thing in the world to make. But to make the way they do is another story. This touches on why the rep industry is centered on sports watches with lower price points. I think a lot of people think that Patek, Vacheron, etc are just four times as much as luxury sports watches due to Swiss markup or whatever, but there really is a difference and it is MAJOR. The tiny details are just out of control and at a level you will never see in any Rolex, Omega or Breitling. You get what you pay for as you say. This is why I go out of my way to mention how nice the Nardin's are in fit and finish. I realize not everyone likes the designs, and I'm not trying to sell it, but rather help educate noobs in letting them know that it is remarkable when something stands out like it should be twice as expensive but isn't. Someday everyone should go to an AD and pull out a strapped dress watch from say IWC or something similarly pricedand then one of similar style from Patek or Vacheron. What you discover will blow your mind if you are really paying attention. Not knocking IWC but that exercise will show you where the difference in money goes (not that either of them aren't overpriced of course - but the differential I mean).

Believe me- I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but I've been in the same boat. I had the same question- it's so simple, why is it so hard to find a rep? The answer is that because it's so simple, there's nothing to distract you from the fact that it's a rep- i.e. crap. What makes a Patek a Patek is that they use the highest quality materials available and assemble the parts perfectly. Meanwhile, the proportions are PERFECT. Do you have any idea how hard it is to replicate perfection? It can't be done. I've searched for years for a good, simple dress watch. I ended up spending several thousand dollars on a gen (or two). There just aren't any good rep dress watches.

Sorry dude- best bet is to tell your friend you were wrong- as hard as that is to do.