When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tips On Cleaning A New Movement .....

I know that a "proper" service of a watch is a skilled and time consuming job which costs at least a couple of hundred bucks .....

But, if that is not a viable option is there anything I can do myself ??

Is it worth me just dismantling a watch and giving it a good look over with my handy dust blower ..... maybe even sitting the movement in an ultrasonic cleaner for a while ??

Or is this just a waste of time and could potentially damage the watch ??

I know that a "proper" service of a watch is a skilled and time consuming job which costs at least a couple of hundred bucks .....

You said all that needed saying there.

If your TV broke would you go in the back? If your car needed a service, would you do it yourself?

Imagine a car only in miniature, with fine tools and some form of magnification needed, some training and a steady hand. If you reckon you could do it, try it on a cheap watch first, because I guarantee you will kill the first one you do, and maybe the second.

But, if that is not a viable option is there anything I can do myself ??

Is it worth me just dismantling a watch and giving it a good look over with my handy dust blower ..... maybe even sitting the movement in an ultrasonic cleaner for a while ??

Or is this just a waste of time and could potentially damage the watch ??

Oy Vey!!!!!

I think I destroyed two asian 21j movement replicas before I learned my lesson. The tolerances in a mechanical watch are unimaginably small for those of us for whom the small scale of mechanicals is fixing a vacuum cleaner. Although this is a piece of jewlery, don't get an ultrasonic cleaner anywhere near it! Using compressed air to "blow out the dust" from the movement would be the equivalent of washing your fine china with an industrial strength power washer while it's still in the cupboard.

Mechanical movements are remarkable micro machines. The difference between an inadequetely oiled jewel bearing and an oiled to specification one is a quanity we can't fathom yet it makes the difference between a well running watch and an unreliable one. There is no application that works in the "macro" world that will do anything but damage these "micro" mechanicals. Leave the work to the well trained professionals who understand the 25x magnified world they work in.

Thank god someone beat me to it...

That is like saying, "Well I ran out of motor oil, shouldn't be a problem if I use transmission fluid in the engine since that's all I have around..."

There are no short cuts in watchmaking, it's black or white...

The odds of you disassembling the movement without damage are remote, forget assembly, as unless your trained, you will destroy it...

RG

LOL ..... coulda guessed :D

So what y'all tryin to say is taking out the movement and dunking it into an ultrasonic cleaner is a bad idea ..... Check :)

However, the car analogy doesn't quite fit I think ..... I do all my own "minor" repairs and have never asked a mechanic to change the engine oil ...... no matter how much he told me it was a difficult job that I shouldn't try !!

Still, I'm kinda itchin to open up some of my mega cheap fantasy reps - and see if I can get them working again ...... a little bit of oil and a loupe should do the trick, right LOL !!

LOL ..... coulda guessed :D

So what y'all tryin to say is taking out the movement and dunking it into an ultrasonic cleaner is a bad idea ..... Check :)

However, the car analogy doesn't quite fit I think ..... I do all my own "minor" repairs and have never asked a mechanic to change the engine oil ...... no matter how much he told me it was a difficult job that I shouldn't try !!

Still, I'm kinda itchin to open up some of my mega cheap fantasy reps - and see if I can get them working again ...... a little bit of oil and a loupe should do the trick, right LOL !!

Actually, the car analogy was perfect. It wasn't a criticisim of your auto mechanical skills, just a metaphor for how lacking your skills would be in the mechanical watch world. I also am a great believer in tinkering as a learning tool. I would suggest a 25x eyepiece, a hand puller tool, a set of micro screwdrivers and a sharpening stone to further hone them, a set of micro tipped tweezers, and a well lit work table high enough to steady your arms on if you want to ruin only a movement or two and not every one you tinker with, as a start. There are some great how too reviews from Ziggy in the repair forums but a few books on mechanical movements are probably a investment. There are $8 chinese movements available from clockspares.com if you want to experiment on movements only and not a $100 watch.

Sure, the car analogy works, as long as you think of cracking the crankcase as taking the back off. Oil changes are the equivalent of removing links on the bracelet: Anyone can do it if they have the right tools and a manual.

Servicing the movement is the equivalent of removing the gearbox, fixing each gear with a diamond file, replacing the camshafts, doing the valve clearances, etc. You need tools, trainign and a lot of practive before you can get it right every time.

Thanks for the link to clockspares.com ! Based in the UK too ! Sweet :D

Ok, now I'm off to waste a little money and hell of a lot of time :)

This time next year I'll be hired by Patek as a Master Watchmaker LOL .... but joking aside, as far as I'm concerned "skill" is just a glorified word for "practice" and studious reading :D

Hey, you and I speak the same language. There's one way to learn and that's to try, suffer, fail, and try again.

Just remember that you can't begin to fathom how delicate these things are... and the clearances/tolerances are microscopic.

Give yourself LOTS of time, and don't drink coffee the day of the surgery.

You'll have fun, you'll likely destroy a watch or two, and you'll learn something along the way, and earn a little knowledge.

I say go for it. And take photos to post here.

Dude ! Finally someone on the same wave length :D

I'm looking forward to destroying many watches ..... and having a ball in the process !! :D