When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling vs. Tag

PaulVanDyk

Just like the title says:

I can’t decide which rep to buy first (can’t afford both). In one corner – Breitling SuperOcean Heritage (Black). In the other – one of the Tag Heuer Carreras (NOT the Grand Carrera).

I know many of you will go….. WTF?!!??! Why would you buy either one. But in my personal opinion Rolexes suck and around here (FL) only old people and frat boyz seem to wear them. Others will go, well, why don’t you buy the Panerai Luminor one? A: Don’t like the way they look. Also, just graduated from college and not being prince Charles or anything obviously cannot afford a “$6k+” watch.

So I already decided on the color of the Breitling (Black). However, after reading a ton of stuff on Tags I don’t have a good idea of which version to choose. It seems each one has a certain flaw (and I know, I know there is no 100% rep) but still. I am wondering if the all black, no circles, LE version would be the best since it doesn’t have the regular flaw of the rings being too big or too close to numbers etc etc? The only thing that I do not particularly like about LE is that f****g cig of some asswipe on it (LOL) in place of the "automatic".

So, PPL, help me out. Which one would you get: Supa Ocean or Carrera. And if it’s the Tag which one (all silver, all black, racing one, Brad Pitt one, Sharapova one etc etc)

Thanks.

Edited by Wantareplica

Man, look around, look at some more watches. With time you'll like PAM's, AP's or maybe even Graham's :D The point is: don't make quick decissions. I think that there are better reps out there than these two, more close to gen I mean. Like the SOSF, Skyland and others. There are lots of nice Omegas, IWC's if you don't like Rollies.

Personally I wouldn't buy one of those two at this point, but if they are the ones I would take the Carerra.

I've owned the Carrera Racing and have to say it was a pretty good rep. Nice weight and felt good on the wrist. In my opinion the only choice if you choose to go with the Tag. However, I would say that the SuperOcean Heritage is also nice. I'm not familiar with the quality of the reps and, therefore, would not comment. I would decided based upon whether you want a dress watch or casual. If casual, go with the Tag. For a more formal, go Breitling.

Good luck.

C

GO GATORZ!!!!

Man, look around, look at some more watches. With time you'll like PAM's, AP's or maybe even Graham's :D The point is: don't make quick decissions. I think that there are better reps out there than these two, more close to gen I mean. Like the SOSF, Skyland and others. There are lots of nice Omegas, IWC's if you don't like Rollies.

Personally I wouldn't buy one of those two at this point, but if they are the ones I would take the Carerra.

I've been looking at watches for like 2 weeks already. Just wanted ppls input before making the final decision.

I have the TagHeuer Carrera, and really like it! The display caseback is a nice bonus. It has the classic style of the old, iconic Carreras, but in a newer, bigger size. It is one of TH big sellers.

DSC_2393.jpg

To me, the Heritage is more like "nice, but why did they made it?"..

I have the TagHeuer Carrera, and really like it! The display caseback is a nice bonus. It has the classic style of the old, iconic Carreras, but in a newer, bigger size. It is one of TH big sellers.

To me, the Heritage is more like "nice, but why did they made it?"..

:o .....as a tribute to their early divers watch

PS that Tag does look very tasty. If I were to buy a Tag, the one you have posted would be the one. For me it's certainly their iconic watch.

Here's my take. They are BOTH outstanding reps in terms of quality. The movement on the A7750 of the Carrera is great if you service it. It will last you as long as the gen...but servicing will cost $200 or so and should be done by around the 1 year mark.

The SOH (assuming non chrono) can come in the Swiss/Asian copy variety or the Asian 2813 variety. The latter will be great value...but noisier and less reliable than the ETA or ETA copy (although some have had better luck with their 2813 drivin reps than their gen ETAs).

In terms of style...I think the Carrera is a sportier more casual watch. With a bracelet it can be dressed up...but I think the design in general doesn't dress up as much as the SOH. The SOH is a BIG watch...and that has turned me off of it...and has that more retro feel to it.

SO...if you're hanging around more sporty circles...I think the Carrera is the way to go.

If you're hanging around the more "going to the club" vs. "going to the gym/game" set...get the SOH.

If you think Rolexes suck, I'd suggest getting the Tag, as personally, I think the Breitling is very similar in style to Rolex dive watches. No point in getting a watch which will just earn the question "Is that a Rolex??"...

Best of luck with your purchase :good:

is there any place to get rep watch bands / straps? I want to get the rubber "Pro Diver" Breitling one but cant find any reps of it.

Most of the big dealers sell the bands both with and without the watch - Angus and Andrew even have an "Accessories" section on their website

I am not sure what to suggest. You said Rolex sucks and were critical of the people who are wearing them. Nut you're two choices are Tag and Breilting which are so far at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Not only in what they cost in gen form but how they are viewed by the others.

I am not sure what to suggest. You said Rolex sucks and were critical of the people who are wearing them. Nut you're two choices are Tag and Breilting which are so far at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Not only in what they cost in gen form but how they are viewed by the others.

both are about 2-3k, with SOH (not the chrono version) being a little more on the expensive side.

Edited by Wantareplica