When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bought a watch from a member Post Office lost it, what now ?

webvan

Its really sad to read posts like this.. but if you have the tracking# and does it say to which country it got lost? (It should be as it is recorded). If it got lost in his country he should really be helping you with this loss.. Hopefully it still appears like what happened to Dani, after being told that the watches has been lost in the PO, it suddenly appeared.

Edited by peyups

I've always been buying under the premise that the I, as the buyer, assume all risks, especially if there is no agreement made in advance of the sale. I would chalk it up to experience and remember to chip in a little extra for shipping with tracking next time.

There's no rule about this, but I would think it this way:

If the tracking says that the buyers' post office lost the watch, how could you hold the seller accountable?

No way... it's 100% buyer's problem, imho.

But if it was the post office at the sellers' end, that lost the shipment... and the seller has proof on paper... personally I would refund the buyer fully in this case... but I'd say 50/50 is still fair.

Just my 2 cents.

Does it really matter where the watch was lost ? It's lost, it's lost.

@piratedzeus - Not sure about that, the price was "Price €70 shipped registered in EU". I see sellers specify, "not responsible for customs or loss", it wasn't the case there, besides "customs" wouldn't apply for a Euro to Euro shipping. Actually I'm not sure that disclaimer is really fair anyway, because the person shipping has to file a claim when mail is lost, so what would the incentive be for them to do that. I probably wouldn't buy from anyone putting that type of clause, it's just not fair on the buyer.

Anyway I should at least get €32 back since that's what the Post Office said the would refund.

@Pylon - registered = tracking

@peyups - it's been 2 months now, it's really unlikely the watch will ever show up.

Expanding this topic a bit, does anyone know what happens when "customs" find a a rep? Do they just destroy it and that's it or does the buyer/seller get a letter saying his parcel was destroyed for such and such reason ?

Edited by webvan

Well first up if you receive 32 Euro back from the PO then that's close to 50% of the watch anyway.

When customs seize a watch yes they will keep and destroy it but you can also expect a letter in relation to purchasing a replica watch....that's when you claim ignorance.....not mine / I have no idea why it was sent to me etc etc

Ken