When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting Watch Sized

I like to give the small watchsmiths the business. Most mall places will do it for a fee. I find some kiosks to employee people who know nothing about watches.

I'm just curious, why does it seem like everyone must get their watches sized at the small, local watchsmith as opposed to the mall jewelers?

Do mall jewelers rough up reps when trying to size them?

I'm just curious, why does it seem like everyone must get their watches sized at the small, local watchsmith as opposed to the mall jewelers?

Do mall jewelers rough up reps when trying to size them?

Dear noob... :lol: Local watchsmiths and mall jewelers are OK...I'm sure you are NOT talking about Authorized Dealers at the mall, right? The response is obvious...never take a rep to an AD...reps are illegal...nobody is going to throw you in a dark cell, but you'll be frown upon and your $100 rep thrown out the window with you...(or they'll be passive agressive and charge you EXTRA for something you can do at home with the proper tools) :bangin:

Ask a local jeweler if he'll do work on your replicas and build a relationship with him...don't try to fool him...he's wearing a magnifier lens and has years of experience...so he'll spot a rep in a sec...or more if need to open the case...So my advice is to be upfront...

Or...get a miniscrew driver set, a set to remove/ resize bracelets and maybe a wooden block to lock the bracelet while you are working on it and do the resizing yourself...it's fun...but, never, ever enter the case...bad things will happen to you!!! :lol: well, maybe to your watch... :black_eye:

Cheers :drunk: and welcome :bleh:

Alex

I do my own sizing when I can. But when I can't, I have an independent watch repair place a few miles from my house that can do the job (resizing) well (without damaging the watch). For more substantial repairs, I use another independent watch repair guy a few miles farther from where I live.

In Australia with have a group called Mr Minute, these guys set up in stalls at major shopping malls and do everything from shoe repaires to engraving and watch repaires, I don't know if other parts of the world have anyone similar but these are the guy's that I get to do any watch resizing that I don't do myself.........never have to worry about tricky questions from these guy's.

Ken