When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A newbie's first watch

ricjos

Hey all...

I've been looking around for quite some time on different forums, - found out this seem to be the best.

I want to buy an Omega Speedmaster! That's the watch I want!!! WITH tachymetre :D But I think it's very complicated this whole new (rep) watch world...

These are the candidates:

Speedmaster professional Moon (Lemania Manual Working Chronograph Movement) $219

Speedmaster professional Black Dial Manual Movement (Lemania Manual Working Chronograph Movement) $219

Can anyone tell the difference between between the two watches above? I can't find anything, though the one is "Moon" and the other is "normal?"... Same price, same movement, same look?

The last one I'm considering is this, the pros are of course it shows date, but is an "Asian 7750" movement better/badder than the "Lemania Manual"?

The cons are that it doesn't have glass back. (I would like to see the movement) and maybe the movement? Though it's more expensive?:

Speedmaster Date Black Dial Asian 7750 (Lemania Manual Working Chronograph Movement) $259

What do you think folks? :)

Kind regards,

Ric

Well, if you're not a stickler for size, OR a Manual Wind and can spend a lil more cash....

...you can always get an Automatic "Speedmaster Lite", which looks almost like the moonwatch complete with hesalite crystal. I've seen them go as low as $800ish give or take recently. Some people say that the 2892 with the Dubois Depraz module is not a REAL chronograph, but I'm like hey... it's a REAL Omega...no need to mod! ;)

Hey all...

I've been looking around for quite some time on different forums, - found out this seem to be the best.

I want to buy an Omega Speedmaster! That's the watch I want!!! WITH tachymetre :D But I think it's very complicated this whole new (rep) watch world...

These are the candidates:

Speedmaster professional Moon (Lemania Manual Working Chronograph Movement) $219

Speedmaster professional Black Dial Manual Movement (Lemania Manual Working Chronograph Movement) $219

Can anyone tell the difference between between the two watches above? I can't find anything, though the one is "Moon" and the other is "normal?"... Same price, same movement, same look?

The last one I'm considering is this, the pros are of course it shows date, but is an "Asian 7750" movement better/badder than the "Lemania Manual"?

The cons are that it doesn't have glass back. (I would like to see the movement) and maybe the movement? Though it's more expensive?:

Speedmaster Date Black Dial Asian 7750 (Lemania Manual Working Chronograph Movement) $259

What do you think folks? :)

Kind regards,

Ric

Hey, I'm looking for a watch preferably in the price class $100 - $300... $800 is too much for me :o)

But do you have any links? :]

Well, if you're not a stickler for size, OR a Manual Wind and can spend a lil more cash....

...you can always get an Automatic "Speedmaster Lite", which looks almost like the moonwatch complete with hesalite crystal. I've seen them go as low as $800ish give or take recently. Some people say that the 2892 with the Dubois Depraz module is not a REAL chronograph, but I'm like hey... it's a REAL Omega...no need to mod! ;)

Hey, I'm looking for a watch preferably in the price class $100 - $300... $800 is too much for me :o)

Welcome to RWG. You just found yourself the most knowledgeable and helpful watch board around.

I don't know anything about the site you listed above. They do look like they have the same reps that the recommended dealers carry here...but given that unless you know people who have had direct experience buying from them...their communication, support might be quite unknown...and you may not in fact get your watch. It's a risk.

Some people have save a few bucks buying from dealers from various sites...but the dealers here have had thousands of transactions from members here...have prices fair to the market...and reputations as dealers who will provide some degree of warranty and support post-purchase.

That being said...the manual wind Speedy is a great watch. The movement is excellent and won't need servicing for 5 years or so out of the box. The subdial spacing on the watch is wrong...with the dials spread out more than the gen...but that's the nature of Speedys in this subdial configuration (3-6-9). The current models have sapphire crystals which many Omega fans don't like, as the original 1960's Speedy had a plastic/Hesalite crystal.

The gens for the most part did not have display backs (another sort of giveaway) but there was a model that did...which these reps usually are based on. The display back is nice given that the Seagull movement inside is beautiful. The watch won't be water resistant.

Personally...I like the 50th Anniversary one with the same movement more...but most people here don't. It's very similar to the original but with a few dial changes.

The last watch is a current model Speedy Date...powered by an A7750 movement. This is an automatic movement...which if you want the watch to last a lifetime (literally), will need servicing after about 9 months or so...any longer and you'll get premature wear on some of the gears requiring difficult part sourcing when/if it dies after the 1 year mark. Some have had their watches last years without servicing with no problems...others just source a replacement movement when it dies, and do the movement swap given that a new movement is cheaper than servicing (assuming you can do the swap yourself).

The Speedy Date is a very accurate watch...and may be water resistant (your own luck may vary)...pressure test to be sure.

I would recommend sticking to vendors recommended here...at least you'll know what you're getting into...you'll know what watch you're getting...and you will get a watch instead of someone stealing your money.

Read my Noob Guide for details on how to enter the rep world with your expectations in check. It's linked in my signature.

Rep dealer links can be found in the Noob Guide or in the "Links" link at the very top.

Welcome aboard.

Hey Toad.

Thanks for your answer... I have read many of the posts/guides in your signature.

I think I will try to get my hands on a Speedmaster manual wind then, though it is not waterproof... But I could anyways wear it in rain/in the shower right?

I'm not sure how to pressure test either...

Thanks again for answering, it's helped me a lot already - I think there are so many posts, and so little actual recommendations (useful posts (hence I want Omega)), but I guess I'll just keep on reading and some day I will get the picture... :-)

Welcome to RWG. You just found yourself the most knowledgeable and helpful watch board around.

I don't know anything about the site you listed above. They do look like they have the same reps that the recommended dealers carry here...but given that unless you know people who have had direct experience buying from them...their communication, support might be quite unknown...and you may not in fact get your watch. It's a risk.

Some people have save a few bucks buying from dealers from various sites...but the dealers here have had thousands of transactions from members here...have prices fair to the market...and reputations as dealers who will provide some degree of warranty and support post-purchase.

That being said...the manual wind Speedy is a great watch. The movement is excellent and won't need servicing for 5 years or so out of the box. The subdial spacing on the watch is wrong...with the dials spread out more than the gen...but that's the nature of Speedys in this subdial configuration (3-6-9). The current models have sapphire crystals which many Omega fans don't like, as the original 1960's Speedy had a plastic/Hesalite crystal.

The gens for the most part did not have display backs (another sort of giveaway) but there was a model that did...which these reps usually are based on. The display back is nice given that the Seagull movement inside is beautiful. The watch won't be water resistant.

Personally...I like the 50th Anniversary one with the same movement more...but most people here don't. It's very similar to the original but with a few dial changes.

The last watch is a current model Speedy Date...powered by an A7750 movement. This is an automatic movement...which if you want the watch to last a lifetime (literally), will need servicing after about 9 months or so...any longer and you'll get premature wear on some of the gears requiring difficult part sourcing when/if it dies after the 1 year mark. Some have had their watches last years without servicing with no problems...others just source a replacement movement when it dies, and do the movement swap given that a new movement is cheaper than servicing (assuming you can do the swap yourself).

The Speedy Date is a very accurate watch...and may be water resistant (your own luck may vary)...pressure test to be sure.

I would recommend sticking to vendors recommended here...at least you'll know what you're getting into...you'll know what watch you're getting...and you will get a watch instead of someone stealing your money.

Read my Noob Guide for details on how to enter the rep world with your expectations in check. It's linked in my signature.

Rep dealer links can be found in the Noob Guide or in the "Links" link at the very top.

Welcome aboard.

I have the hand wind one with sapphire and i would recomend it, althougth it is not one 100% perfect in yerms of optical acuracy it keeps time to with in 3 seconds a day, the chrono works great and just feels great, a bit of polish and oil on the bracelet and it is wonderfull, see the review in my sig and here is a photo of it being used in my job when i was out in Canada this year

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

welcome to RWG

I'm just bought this one: http://www.rwg.cc/members/Review-Speedmast...ate-t91095.html The Omega Speedmaster Day-Date. For me it's the best choice ever if you wants a Speedmaster because the watch is absolutly clause to the original (factory used sample to build this watch) Also the watch come with a perfect case with serie number engrave and anti conterfeid symbol, nice saphir glass with anti-reflect and a nice movement==>the Asian Vajoulx 7750 run at 3-5sec/day.

Welcome in our world dude :D

Edited by JBond