When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD V2 I shaved CGs now Crown wont go back in...help pls!

clkcadet

Hi

I shaved my CG on my SSD V2 just a few moments ago, and when I try to put the crown back in, I was able to wind the watch but when I tried to set the time it would not budge. I pull the crown out a little further and the crown comes out.

After a few minutes of trying to realign it (not forceful) when I put the crown in now it just spins freely! I followed the instructions correctly, but maybe I am doing one step wrong. I hope this is a small fix and I can continue enjoying my SSD V2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You might have jammed the keyless works if you pushed the pin too hard to remove the crown...

Normally the stem should snap in when pushed back in place...

I was sure to be gentle while doing it. If this is the case, what is the remedy?

When I pulled out it worked fine, just putting it back in is the problem. The movement is still running but the crown is doing nothing when putting it in or pulling it out :(

I was sure to be gentle while doing it. If this is the case, what is the remedy?

When I pulled out it worked fine, just putting it back in is the problem. The movement is still running but the crown is doing nothing when putting it in or pulling it out :(

The remedy is to disassemble the movement and correctly place the keyless works back into operating position...

i dont know anyone locally that would deal with a rep!

Is there anyone advisable on the forum or elsewhere in NYC? If I could fix it myself just let me know what should be done...

Thanks...

I don't know your skills - but as I described before - you need to disassemble the movement, at least partially - so think about it twice if you're capable to do that and have the right tools ?! Possible solutions would be: give the watch away for repair or sell it away and get a new one, no matter how you decide - you learned a lesson the hard way, like almost all of us ;)

It might not need disassembly. It depends if the keyless works are in fact out of whack...or if the crown is merely not pushed in properly.

The Zigmeister recommends removing the crown in the winding position as I believe being closer towards the movement, reduces the chances of pushing some of the pieces of the keyless works out of whack as is more probable when re-installing in the time-setting position.

That being said...if it's an SSD (whatever movement), you don't need to push the crown release button to re-insert the crown. You can try loosening the movement tab screws a bit to allow the movement to spin the case a bit. If the movement is not aligned with the stem hole exactly, the stem won't go in. You can tighten the movement holder tabs after...but having a bit of float in the system can make inserting the stem easier. I'm not sure if this is exactly best practices...but it seems to work.

AS well...when you reinsert the stem...slowly stick it in...rotating it slowly in the winding direction. When you feel things start to engage push in a little firmer and everything should catch. Try it a few times. If it still doesn't go...it is a fix that any watchsmith should be able to do.

Good luck.

Thanks Toad

Will try the third option tomorrow. That sounds like it might work for some reason.

The crown does go all the way in and I can "lock it in" but otherwise it does nothing while it is plugged in it just spins freely

Thanks Toad

Will try the third option tomorrow. That sounds like it might work for some reason.

The crown does go all the way in and I can "lock it in" but otherwise it does nothing while it is plugged in it just spins freely

I have performed crown guard mods successfully without removing the crown. It's not difficult at all on some watches. Most of them just need the "insides" straightened out.

Just unscrew the crown to the hack position, which leaves just enough space between the tube and guards to operate there... then put some protector tape over the crown and bezel and use very thin hand file like this to straighten the guards. Just be very slow and careful and it goes ok.

file.jpg

I did at least 3 watches using this method and the end results were very satisfactory.

Note: This GMT is not my gen. :D

file2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again.

I found a tutorial on fixing the keyless but I have been searching for a tutorial to remove the dial & hands. If anyone can help please let me know :)

I appreciate everyones help, you guys are very helpful

Hi clkcadet!

I have the same problem on one of my A7750 movements. This tutorial you mentioned, do you have a link for it? Can't seem to find it.