When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paypal ..Hacked ?

lanikai

I got a strange email this morning from Ebay.. Below is the header ... the thing is I never bought nor bid on this item.. yet when I checked my account the funds were transferred to pmidigital this morning.. paypal said the vendor would give no reason for cancelling the transaction .. later the vendor said.. re: do not ship to Indonesia..

Request from seller to cancel transaction: NEW ! Hot ! Canon SD990 IS Digital Camera Black (160298735547)

Now these funds will be on hold for 3 to 4 business day's.. WTF !!!! I email PP and told them I want a full explanation as to how this could happen.. with their so called "full proof security"

lesson learned check my account on a weekly if not bi-weekly basis.. :angry:

Aloha

L

I got an email the other day from 'paypal.co.uk' stating a 'security issue', and advising me to log in immediately... Of course, I wasn't falling for the phishing trick, so deleted the email and just logged in as normal, to find, as expected, no problem whatsoever :lol: Those Nigerian boys don't give up :lol:

Looks like someone from Indonesia has your account information. You should change that immediately and consider using a better Antivirus and Firewall. I recommend Norton Antivirus 2009 + hardware router (with firewall).

It's okay, it's an old account which is no longer used, but thanks for the technical advice :good:

I'm thinking this is a phishing scam as TeeJay stated. I logged on to my eBay and I have to message like that. Are you sure that the message that was sent to you was from eBay? You didn't open the hyperlink and log on to the pop up, did you?

I didn't use the hyperlink, I just went direct to eBay and logged in, but there was no issue at all. I think it was just a simple case of simple phishing from Nigeria...

Are you having a laugh with Norton??!! There isn't a hacker out there that couldn't get through Norton in their sleep!!!

No offence, but seems like your 10 years in IT was not sufficient to judge which AV is good and which not.

Norton AV 2009 updates more than 200 times a day, thats four times more than any other AV. If you don't believe me, take a look here.

And seems like you haven't read the latest AV reviews, like here and here you can clearly see that Norton is suggested as the safest one.

I have Mcafee and my DSL router has a firewall with default setting. I have never have had an issue with paypal or ebay. I get messages about my account all the time and I just ignore them. besides what is the point of having over 200 updates a day. I do not think that Norton discover that many thread a day. Just because it updates does not means it gets anything new

my two cents

You've got a point. But new threats are being made every minute, so it could be useful that you really get the leastest stuff. Anyway most AV tests recomment it and from my expierience I once had a rootkit in my pc while using NOD32 and later examining it Kaspersky and McAfee didn't recognize it either. Of course the all AV thing is matter of taste, but I can just recommend looking at tests, sometimes it saves a lot of headache.

thanks All for the info.. I do have Norton protection.. and when I got the message on my Blackberry.. instead of opening the message with my BB,.. drove back to the coffee shop and accessed my PP account with my LT.. my Account history showed that the funds were in fact routed to the vendor in question then the next trans. shows PP asking me to cancel the order. (which I never made)

I emailed PP .. so I figure if I don't hear back from them it's "their" screw up and the "no reason given" for the vendor to ask me to cancel the trans is just as good as saying.. "we Fu_ked up" .. and as of this post I have had no response from either the vendor nor PP..

the problem with PP is they "are" ebay .. so the cover up and no response is answer enough.. what a racket they got going on.. <_<

thanks again all.. with all the technology .. still the "human factor" is the best back up.. checking my PP account is going to be routine now.. B)

@mimi .. ok gotta get Mcfee .. friends have been telling me to switch it.. I guess it's worth the dollars.. :) thank you for that !! edit add: .. don't know who suggested it but thanks cib0rg..

THE best $5 you ever spent ! piece of mind ;) .

ebay/paypal security key fob a must for all who has both accounts !

thanks Sub ... for the knudge and the pm.. just signed up for it .. it didn't indicate another password so I guess it's copacetic !!

I'm more irratated with Paypal/Ebay.. I wasn't even in the remote area of that digital vendors auction.. not even logged on to ebay .. my last visit was 2 day's ago.. sheesh.. <_<

thank you again !!

Cheers

lani

once you receive the key fab , you will log into your pp & ebay accounts as usual & in addition to your pass work you have to enter the random digits the key fab provides you ;) , every time you log in its a different combination ;) .

at least you can sleep at night with the added sucurity ;) .

good luck .

p.s. every body with a pp/ebay account should buy one ! & make it harder for those web terroists ! :thumbdown:

once you receive the key fab , you will log into your pp & ebay accounts as usual & in addition to your pass work you have to enter the random digits the key fab provides you ;) , every time you log in its a different combination ;) .

at least you can sleep at night with the added sucurity ;) .

good luck .

p.s. every body with a pp/ebay account should buy one ! & make it harder for those web terroists ! :thumbdown:

thanks you for taking the time to give me the push Sub !!!.. so to speak.. I needed it.. :) .. the funds are "on hold" so we'll see.. that's 400 usd that is floating in cyber space.. that is irratating as heck !!! :angry:

what is scary .. is I would have had no clue.. if I didn't have my BB .. at the time.

No offence, but seems like your 10 years in IT was not sufficient to judge which AV is good and which not.

Norton AV 2009 updates more than 200 times a day, thats four times more than any other AV. If you don't believe me, take a look here.

And seems like you haven't read the latest AV reviews, like here and here you can clearly see that Norton is suggested as the safest one.

Norton is a fat, bloated program...its annoying, it gets in its own way half the time....you're better off using sandbox tech for your emails and browser...run it all in a virtualized setting and then you can basically do whatever the hell you like... use Bank of America and sign up for SafePass (texts you a code to enter at the log in screen if it doesn't recognize the computer) and the RSA key for PayPal and your financials are as secure as they will be. Also, WPA2 encryption, TrueCrypt for any files you don't wanna share, and limit MAC addresses to your router...

Update: ..

the vendor got in touch with me and told me they recognized it as fraud ... props to the vendor I will relay their exellence to PP

changed my security to McAfee .. put new restrictions on my PP account.. hassle everytime I trans. money but after this .. that will be a minor effort

I imagine with the global economy getting worse day by day.. this is just the beggining of things to come..

thank you all for the support and direction.. I will follow through.. B)

this community is really more than WATCHES !!! :)

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

The security key is unfortunately unavailable in Sweden and almost in all of EU, with the exception of Germany according to Paypal:

"...Thank you for writing in relation to the security key.

Regretfully I must inform you that ,at the moment, the security key is only

available for US, Australian and German customers.

We will continue to expand our capabilities in the future, but we cannot

give a timetable for this possible expansion. PayPal is constantly working

to improve our product and services for our customers. Please continue to

watch our website for future changes and updates to our service.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Paolo..."

Edited by wiseman

Norton update their AV 200 times a day because hackers sit gleefully poking holes in it all day for fun!! It has beeen on the market way too long and has laid back on it's laurels, knowing that millions of machines are sent out with their package as standard. It is a stodgy, memory munching, piece of cr*p!! Look to the future with AVG ( not AGV, which is a very good motorcycle helmet maker, still security of a sort! :p ) or ZoneAlarm ( I know the last has been around for a while, but they don't sit back and take for granted!) These programs have the good sense to employ said annoying hackers, that poke holes in Norton, to find out the latest info on what could destroy your computer!!

Mayy sound farfetched, but Microsoft do exactly the same thing, they get 2 choices, go to jail, or take a nice salary and benefits and work for us!

Lani glad you got things sorted out, it always sucks when this stuff like this happens!! The secure fobs are a great invention, most of the big financial sector use them for their mobile employees.