When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Double Deepsea" Double AR and gen insert?

Dizzy

Theres another thread here about a posting on the Rolex Forums today about the dude to busted his gen GMT IIc 18kt bezel and broke the insert :o

... blah blah anyways the Rolex AD is trying to soak him for huge $$$ to fit it. CLose to $2000 inc servicing, everyone over there is getting confused about the issue and the orig poster is getting upset... whaetever... now apparently a replacement part (bezel only) is avail from Rolex AD (if you have access to a parts account) but its anywhere from $250-400 apparently according to several sources. Does anyone have a gen DSSD and can measure (with digital calipers please) the inside and outside diameter of the ceraminc bezel insert??

I wonder if a gen insert would fit into my v3 DSSD? It would sure make a big difference. Might be tough to "shave" the insert to fit so it may be a case of putting the bezel onto a laythe and taking off some material. At the same time i want to get my crystal double AR coated. Im also gunna run some rests on spraying matt varnish on some glossy old daytona rep dials to see if i can get my super glossy dial to look like the correct flat black gen dial. Should look like an old 1665 or 1680 dial.. flat black... big mistake on a so called 1:1 rep hey?

Any thoughts/ideas before i tear this thing down for modding?

• 2 weeks later...
Im also gunna run some rests on spraying matt varnish on some glossy old daytona rep dials to see if i can get my super glossy dial to look like the correct flat black gen dial. Should look like an old 1665 or 1680 dial.. flat black... big mistake on a so called 1:1 rep hey?

hmm....this i the first i've heard about the gloss vs. flat dial (although admittedly i haven't done a ton of research on this watch just yet) -- do you have any photos to demonstrate this by chance?

thanks in advance,

deltatahoe

No idea about the Deepsea, but 62xx Daytona dials are matte. If your dial is gloss, varnishing it is probably a good idea. But, then again, if the dial is gloss, I would expect it to have other problems as well that might make the type of finish the least of them. It may be best just to get a better dial (or rep).

I don't know about DeepSeas, but I do have plans to try and cram a GMTIIc insert into a SeaDweller bezel ;) What do you think?

Whoa good luck with that lol. I dont know how easy it would be to 'shave' down a ceramic insert without destroying it? Let me know how that works out.

I cant really find any good pics to show the flat black dial.. the gen has a flat black dial like an old 1680 or 1665. The rep deepseas have shiny gloss dials like the 16600. When you see a gen deepsea in real life its a very obvious difference between the two. Maybe i can find someone who does good quality redials and see if they can redo it flat black...

EDIT - I just found some pics on Timezone.. this thread shows some good shots of how flat black the dial is compared to our reps

Deepsea flat black dial pics on TZ