When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling has is own in-house-movement

onzenuub

This shows that this company has balls...It defies a whole status quo by making its own movement (but it's not the only company doing this)! The problem though from now on is that rep factories will have to adapt their replication techniques around the new movement (when a watch with that mvt comes out), otherwise the new rep production will be a dead give away, if it's based on the old Valjoux mvt :huh: Correct me if i'm wrong...!

This shows that this company has balls...It defies a whole status quo by making its own movement (but it's not the only company doing this)! The problem though from now on is that rep factories will have to adapt their replication techniques around the new movement (when a watch with that mvt comes out), otherwise the new rep production will be a dead give away, if it's based on the old Valjoux mvt :huh: Correct me if i'm wrong...!

Well i would love to correct you but...does Daytona mvt replication ring a bell???!!! ;)

I predicted that this would happen a long time ago. The glory days of chrono reps are coming to an end. The rep industry is reliant on the 7750, as was much of the gen market. ETA sales restrictions are really going to put an end to the "Super Rep" era that we are currently experiencing.

It'll be interesting how the price this.. up til now brands have used in house movements as an excuse to bump the price up substantially.. but in the current economy that market is dead.. apparently the $5000 market is gone completely.. and thats where I would expect this to have been priced. Upwards of that is very low volume and Breitling doesn't really have the brand strength to sell the numbers required.

If they have to price it the same as the valjoux's then what's the point? Breitling just wasted a pile of money developing it and the lower price buyers might be wary of buying in house given the huge service costs compared to a valjoux that anyone can work on.

I predicted that this would happen a long time ago. The glory days of chrono reps are coming to an end.

I think you fail to appreciate what a good CNC system can do. The same system that can crank out 1 mil accurate cases can also do mainplates, bridges, rotors etc.

The only reason they don't is the easy availability of off the shelf movements.

Custom movements might raise the cost of super reps a few hundred dollars, but if there's a demand the current technology can supply the goods.

Then again, if it's a closed back case there's really little need for a rep movement - look at all the reps running a 2824 clone where the gen never had an ETA in it -

I think you fail to appreciate what a good CNC system can do. The same system that can crank out 1 mil accurate cases can also do mainplates, bridges, rotors etc.

The only reason they don't is the easy availability of off the shelf movements.

Custom movements might raise the cost of super reps a few hundred dollars, but if there's a demand the current technology can supply the goods.

Then again, if it's a closed back case there's really little need for a rep movement - look at all the reps running a 2824 clone where the gen never had an ETA in it -

The Chinese have only ever copied one chrono movement, the A7750, as far as I know. Sure, they have the ST19, but that is not a copy. If it is such an easy endeavor I am sure that we certainly would have seen a replication of the chrono movement used in the Omega speedmasters and POs by now. How about a decent seconds at 6 7750 for gods sake?

This shows that this company has balls...It defies a whole status quo by making its own movement (but it's not the only company doing this)! The problem though from now on is that rep factories will have to adapt their replication techniques around the new movement (when a watch with that mvt comes out), otherwise the new rep production will be a dead give away, if it's based on the old Valjoux mvt huh.gif Correct me if i'm wrong...!

Unless, of course, B decides to keep the subdial spacing the same or very similar to the 7750...

Unless, of course, B decides to keep the subdial spacing the same or very similar to the 7750...

That would be the ideal case...but when something critical (such as a mvt) changes lots of accompanying things change...Time will show ;)

I don't understand where "Breitling has balls" comment comes from. Does it take balls to either innovate your company, or die at the hands of a competitor controlling your movement supply.

Also - 70 hour power reserve! Bitchin!

You are right Fidestro but don't forget that innovations and upgrades take their cost and sometimes an ambitious company - or a company that respects itself and wants to stand face to face with the competition - doesn't get back but a portion of the initial capital it invested :unsure: This move Breitling just made is certainly "a great step for the company and a small step for the potential buyers" which will be judged by several other factors such as price fixing! If watches based on the new movement are far more expensive than current watches with "Valjouxes" then it's starting to lose the game and the competitive advantage it gained with the release of its new mvt...Just thoughts...Again time will show! ;)

If it is such an easy endeavor I am sure that we certainly would have seen a replication of the chrono movement used in the Omega speedmasters and POs by now. How about a decent seconds at 6 7750 for gods sake?

I said possible, not easy - it's easier to take an off the shelf movement and fudge it to fit - like the A7750s with an aftermarket module for seconds at 6.

There's a considerable investment in tooling up for a rep movement, so they're only gonna do it if the have to.

But if they have to (or if we're willing to pay for it) they will.