When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Those who know me know...

RobbieG

No, they actually come with the Anniversary 160's in white or red gold as a set. But I'm not really into that watch so I would just be buying the barometer for over twenty grand. I would rather give the toe. I have my guy working on finding me one that got seperated from the set. I would pay a few thousand for it.

Oh yeah, me too Andy. That goes without saying. Although I'm partial to the UN's. After all, the whole world stole their designs anyway so why not have the OG chronometer right? Even some of the more modern versions and/or reissues are really cool too...

PS: I love the line in the ebay sales ad that says the first marine chronometer was made in the Soviet Union at the end of the 50's. What are they smoking?

marine-chronometer-old.jpg

I can't help it- I have to brag. This on the left is a fairly recent acquisition, sort of my "graduation" present to myself... I just retired at the beginning of February, after 30 years of engineering slave labor....

I've had the Russian chronometer for several years, but the Hamilton is several orders of magnitude more wonderful.

Better betcha I'm a-keepin' da doors locked and the attack cat *really* hungry....

th_100_0371.jpg

th_100_0372.jpg

th_100_0373.jpg

Beautiful. I'm working on a UN guide at the moment so stay tuned - but in the meantime as you may know Ulysse Nardin has ruled the chronometer roost since the late 1800's.

For those who don't know, merchant and military ships used marine chronometers as a principle means of navigation in concert with other tools and accuracy was of utmost importance. An error of several seconds could mean positioning errors of hundreds of miles even at the equator. By the late 1800's there were only two countries who did not use UN Chronometers and those were the United States and Japan. Japan used Chronometers developed by Kintaro Hattori which eventually became the Seiko company, and the United States? Well, Nardin claims that the US stole a key to the patent office and replicated their design and most in the know are inclined to believe it is true. Apparently there were many lawsuits which remained open but never resolved for many years.

What blows my mind is how the original UN design and layout has been carried through to all these fine examples including yours from the mid 20th century. It is like the "no better mousetrap" of the horological world. No where else do you see such a linear design carry though over such a long time period as with the UN chronometer design. I guess it is kind of a great respect to them when nobody ever really saw the need to deviate from the design. And no wonder right? They are simply perfect.

You are very lucky to have those two fine examples my friend.

I think part of the reason I love the Nardin marine line so much and have over the years is because of the carry over of the exact layout from the chronometers. I just think the dial proportions are just right with the design (again as evidenced by how long it has held up in the chronometer world) no matter which version, not just my own Maxi Marine Diver 1846 I happen to have at the moment. Love them all...

1846.jpg

Maximarine41.jpg

Maximarine43strap.jpg

Maxidiverbracelet.jpg

And of course another classic Nardin Chronometer example...

unchronometer.jpg

PS: Many don't know this, but even Glashutte Original - another fine manufactory paid its respect to Nardin and the 1846 heritage by producing a limited edition chronometer in 1997. Limited to just 30 pieces and with gold hardware, retail price was just shy of a lofty $17,000 USD. But what a beautiful example it is...

gochronometer.jpg